Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Readers Rides
User Name
Password

Old 29-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Name: Russ
Sorry for the ignorance, but what's DSE?

I've read it over and over on this forum, but no-one seems to elaborate.

Each time I read it I think of Dick Smith Electronics.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 29-01-2014, 04:35 PM

Name: Neil
Detroit Speed.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/
Old 29-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Name: Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, but what's DSE?

I've read it over and over on this forum, but no-one seems to elaborate.

Each time I read it I think of Dick Smith Electronics.
Fair point Russ - I’ve become so absorbed in cars over the years that I kind of presume everyone knows what i’m on about (meanwhile everyone else’s thinking ‘.. listen to this bloke just rattle on, buggar if i no what he means ..’)

I’ll make a point to list things clearly for those that may be looking to do anything similar

DSE = Detroit Speed & Engineering (email above - cheers Neil ) - fantastic aftermarket products - for all sorts of old iron too

Last edited by Stealth 69; 29-01-2014 at 08:38 PM..
Old 29-01-2014, 09:17 PM

ok back to the build …

Name:  build22.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  192.7 KB

firewall complete …… for now
Working away for long swings (between 8-12 weeks) and researching the bejeezus out of new products for 1st gens can get a man’s mind a-wandering.
It was about here that it become known to the panel shop guys that I know longer was just happy with a basic build - and the red mist had set in, she was gonna get wild

Name:  build24.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  146.0 KB

ps .. tell your panel guys that we really want to hide the wiper motor BEFORE they finish panel n priming … there certainly was some colourful language exchanged, luckily they were a resourceful mob and took it in their stride

Name:  build23.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  162.0 KB

Panels being reattached after priming to ensure good gaps remained - actually, this is better than when she left the factory.

Really was pretty lucky rust wise, a bit in the lower windscreen rail, and the RHS front and rear quarters was the only serious areas - anything else was negligible - the boys were well surprised

It was about here that I hit a snag with my engine build at home - all the blueprinting of the engine (measuring and checking of all engine clearances on bearings, stroker rods , rings etc ) was going swimmingly - and I was getting a buzz out of fitting all my new shiny BBC parts together.
The block had already been acid dipped, crack-checked, modified for 4-bolt mains - as the original hi-perf pass 454 only had two bolt mains originally - and even though some racing stalwarts assured me it’d be fine I felt the need to add a lil more security to the build. The block was then line bored and torque plate honed to ensure all the spinning bits would be as central as possible.

Rotating assembly was balanced to 8000rpm - i figured that should be enough considering my limiter sits at 7000rpm

Anyway - (geez i can ramble) - so i’d been piecing the engine together, checking everything turned regularly, and all was looking good til i bolted down the heads loosely (not yet torqued) - because I’d been curious as to how close the valves would come to the valve reliefs in the pistons - coz it looked close, but a man can’t always rely on his ‘eye-ometer’ so i sat some blu-tac on the piston and wound her round - a gentle thunk and increase in pressure told me we had an issue - long story short, sort of, turns out the Diamond CNC pistons specially ordered were to suit different series of Brodix heads - BUT - since I’d bought mine ex-USA I had the latest series - yadda yadda - end of the day i’d specially ordered the N2O CNC pistons and it became my responsibility - anyone shopping around would know that BBC rectangular port raised exhaust port Brodix heads ain’t cheap - SOOO there was no way I was going to be taking any die grinders to the head - and eventually swallowed some pride and gave it to Bob Campbell Racing to relieve some clearance issue - I think we opened it up to a massive 80 thou (about 2mm) clearance - Plenty!!

ok, me lamb chops are done - resume a little later
Old 30-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Name: Peter
Dinners over….keep typing!!
Old 30-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Name: Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga350 View Post
Haha, longest dinner ever!
Old 30-01-2014, 03:07 PM

Name: nik
this is get'n goooood. Looking forward to more updates and pics, keep em coming!
Is keeping my mind occupied while waiting for my 434 to be built
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
ahhhh ha ha ha - i love it

It’s like a suspense novel - but really I got side tracked celebrating my date of manufacture … ok, enuf talking new episode getting done now
Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM

So , whilst the engine dramas were being sorted the focus returned to pre-fitting all the new components to make sure they fit.
bear in mind also, that this is taking place over many months - because whilst I was away working overseas the job priority seemed to get sidelined until i returned …. anyway

Name:  build25.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  210.0 KB

It was time to upgrade everyones favourite chain steering conversion with a RHD rack from American Online Imports - admittedly there was a few teething issues but we’ll brush on them later, this is an older model rack too - the new ones look ace - not taking anything away from it though, this girl drives like a dream

Name:  build26.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  186.2 KB

for those wondering - yes, that did cause many many headaches for the guys building the custom headers (to be cont’d)

Name:  build27.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  200.7 KB

The RHD steering column - no key because I knew she’d run push button starter from the beginning - I’m not sure that we’ll see it in any build pics, but Rod Turner actually reinforced the steering column supports so that if i got carried away with some spirited driving (naturally on private property under controlled conditions) the column wouldn’t suddenly come loose because when we looked at a later date, there really wasn’t that much meat keeping the column supports safe - quite possibly due to the initial conversion not being thorough and conforming to my random OCD moments haha
Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 AM

Upon my returning from a long swing the guys had surprised me by already having painted the body and panels. We’d already discussed and previewed the colour on a previous visit.

It is actually a twist on the original “Frost Green” factory colour, which had taken my fancy, given I was actually wanting a black camaro originally.
So, whilst you won’t see it in these pics, we took the original spec paint and introduced a gold pearl through it - plus some other special paintshop knowledge only tweak to create a slightly deeper hue.

Name:  build28.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  154.2 KB

We also de-badged the car to create a much cleaner look, hence no more chrome gills on the rear 1/4. There’s also little touches around the car that may not get noticed later on, like deleted door lock on the passenger side, but will try and capture them as the pics allow

Name:  build29.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  178.0 KB

Ah .. the infamous flat firewall - completed - albeit almost at the cost of a panelshop friendship - nah, these guys were legendary - I called them my dream factory - whatever I imagined they would put to reality - they were happy with that term but did ask if i’d share my dreams with more notice - but i had to let them know that epiphanies from us muscle car missionaries were never restricted to real world time frames
Often these inspirations would come to me in my sleep (or lack of, laying awake at night thinking of mods n new ideas) or as a brain rush when i discovered something new to the market in the US

Note there is no longer any mounting holes at all - all wiper motor / Hydraboost / MSD Digital6 etc were all being relocated

Name:  build30.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  167.3 KB

who doesn’t love the curves

Name:  build31.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  build32.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  153.9 KB

Plus, given all the dollars spent on the donk, I wanted to make sure I could keep an eye on what it was doing, so we grafted in some gauge holes to give a “factory” look. Everything being done to the camaro was supposed to reflect what a sports optioned 69 would look like if it was available for delivery in 2009-2010

And more on that dirty rat motor .. Bob and his boys were looking over the motor to make sure I’d dotted my i’s and crossed my t’s with the blueprinting - which he was really happy with (whew) and with the heads now clearing the pistons they made sure everything was going to be race, erm, ROAD prepped and could handle any random moments of testosterone on the street/track wherever.

Bob, being a campaigner of BBC race engines previously, was very handy with his experience and knowledge - little things like using the correct size restrictor orifice/s to maintain enough lube n pressure up top when pulling the big revs - being a sponge for information, my often 5 minute visit would quite easily turn into 30-45 min affairs - and being a big block virgin, i needed to take in as much advice as possible - not to mention loving listen to stories of big blocks pulling 9000rpm haha

It was pretty much ready to go, so given that the build is a full roller motor (roller cam/rocker/lifters) we could give her a good run on the engine dyno to make sure there were no gremlins inside, BEFORE we squeezed her in the engine bay
Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 PM

Name: Scott
Lovin it man. Brilliant job done on that paint. Looks great and cool idea with jazzing the paint up a bit with some secret herbs and spices. Lol
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM

Name: JONNY
Man this is so cool! much better then watching build thread's in real time, its like getting to download every season of breaking bad and hitting play. Gotta see this car in person, keep the episodes rollin!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:40 PM

Name: Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwad355 View Post
Man this is so cool! much better then watching build thread's in real time, its like getting to download every season of breaking bad and hitting play. Gotta see this car in person, keep the episodes rollin!
You're so right Jonny, i can see myself making a special trip to Perth just to have a look for myself.
P.S Happy Birthday Justin, hope you didn't turn too old.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwad355 View Post
Aah, today's generation are so impatient.

It is a cracker build thread so far.......and we already know the ending!

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You're so right Jonny, i can see myself making a special trip to Perth just to have a look for myself.
P.S Happy Birthday Justin, hope you didn't turn too old.
not too old at 38 - not in my mind anyway

hitting the streets as often as I can to share the love with appreciating types