Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Readers Rides
User Name
Password

Old 26-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Name: Steve
Of course they have tensioners, which is how they take the slop out and they'd have to have guides to ensure the chain never leaves the sprockets also.

I had a chain snap on my BMX once. I think I bashed my knee on the goose-neck and head-butted the handle bars at the same time.
It was after some 12y/o idiot (me) had fumbled with the split link and had not installed it correctly. I learnt how to do a better job of it after that.
Pain is a great teacher.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 26-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Name: Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
I have never actually seen a chain conversion, it just sounds so dodgy though.
Do they have a chain tensioner?
Ever had a chain come off on the BMX when you are really putting some effort in an bruised the jatz crackers on the seat or cross bar?
Having the chain come off your steering has to be a frightening experience to say the least.

...and back to topic, Justin is your 69 LH or RH drive now?
… in all honesty .. it drove like a dream with the chain conversion, had I never looked i may have never known (except that the steering box was still on the left - haha)

But I balked at the steering mainly because I had big block dreams ahead and wanted to make sure everything would hold together - and also because I don’t like short cut solutions

It’s still RHD now - the dash had already been cut up, and since i’d been driving it RHD I thought I might as well keep it that way
Old 26-01-2014, 12:00 PM

so , at this stage I was only originally looking to fit the DSE deep tubs, cage for the ¼” mile & fitting the BBC …. BUT … we all know it doesn’t happen like that.

The guys in the shop said there was a little rust on board, although not as much as expected, and did I want to get it sorted whilst everything was apart.

might as well, and, erm, do you think we can smooth off the firewall as well? ha ha

.. the bug had sunken its teeth in and I was beginning to feel the effects

Name:  build9.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  156.0 KB

Name:  build10.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  173.3 KB

Name:  build11.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  198.4 KB

Name:  build12.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  182.5 KB

I was working away between 8-12 weeks at a time so I thought “i’m not home to drive it anyway” - although if i’d known how long it’d be off the road i may have different ideas

I did like the rear blackout over the lights - but was chasing a fresh look when we resprayed - plus, you always want to make the car “YOURS” not, oh didn’t that used to be such n such’s car - I reckon if i build another one i’d think about the rear blackout option again
Old 26-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Name: Stoney
Quote:
Having the chain come off your steering has to be a frightening experience to say the least.
It really does sound dodgy, doesn't it, but then think of all the other mechanical systems that are chain driven - camshafts, motorcycle driven wheels, old fairground rides, etc.
Back to the OP - seems like an interesting build story has just begun unfolding, should make for an entertaining read .
Old 26-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Name: Alan
Keep posting, lovely car.

1969 Camaro Z28 TUF69Z
1964 F100 SWB 64 EFFY

AAA-Photography.smugmug.com
Old 26-01-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
307.. Then that would be a May or later 1969 build I think..
Mine was a 327 being a Nov 68.

With cars & women.. If you have the right woman, she will accept you and your car, no issues, no jealousy, no sh!t.
The wrong woman will immediately reveal herself when she wants you to sell your mechanical soul mate.
That makes the "It's me or the car.." choice a really easy one.
So true - I’ve since found (and married) a perfect compliment. She’s into cars enough to know the muscle car basics, and puts up with my constant new build ideas , loves the camaro, and told me when I build another one?? I have to keep the current seats lol

… and yes, the Grant steering wheels are the best - I needed to retain that classic feel
Old 27-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Name:  build13.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  build14.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  198.8 KB

Name:  build15.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  173.7 KB

Name:  build16.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  202.4 KB

so it was around about this stage that my obsessive love for pro-touring from the US started to take over my rational build. Subscribing ex-US to SuperChevy and Chevy Hi Performance (newsagents were ripping me off blind) really threw fuel on the mix and the panel shop started getting an idea that this basic build may blow out

So at this stage - I’d begun ordering my components ex-USA, and had started blueprinting the big block up, which was initially going to be 496, but knowing that i’d like to beat up on it hard on occasion i thought i’d give myself some room for error and stayed .030” with a 489
I’d been using a well known Hi Perf parts supplier in Perth to help bring in my parts ex_US, one of the ex-employees there really went out on a limb to help me out, ensuring everything was within fair markup and they were loving it - feeding me whiskey after hours and making new contacts along the way … but then for circumstances unknown my contact rapidly left, luckily all my BBC parts were sorted but things wouldn’t be the same, and not to mention the inevitable price hike that came along, whilst still not ‘too’ bad it was still much easier for me in the end to shop n ship direct with the likes of Summit/DSE/Jegs myself and still come out in front

Last edited by Stealth 69; 27-01-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Old 28-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Name: Peter
Keep typing Justin, you've got me hooked…..more pics if you can find 'em!!!
Old 28-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Name: Adam
You're a decent wordsmith mate, youd make a pretty good writer for a car mag
Old 28-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Name: Allan
Justin you should have this in the build section, haha.... and boy is this a good body, i had to fit inner and outer wheel wells and quarter panels on both sides....your body is very clean in that area
Old 28-01-2014, 09:21 PM

cheers on the kind words gents …

so, back to the build - first, some pics to set the scene

Name:  build17.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  164.1 KB

Cannot say enough good things about DSE products, and love the factory look they give

Name:  build21.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  161.7 KB

Name:  build19.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  190.6 KB

Name:  build20.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  205.2 KB

Name:  build18.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  185.8 KB

the flat firewall was coming along nicely, even notched the tunnel to make life a lil easier for the BBC transplant later - but what isn’t obvious is that the panel shop had to set the wipers up to work RHD - prior to the build they still worked in the LHD wiper pattern - on a few occasions the guys asked if it really would make much difference considering i probably wouldn’t drive in the rain anyway - pffft to them, ha ha, with a bit more swearing the guys kept campaigning - totally unaware of the maelstrom of pro-touring madness that was swirling through my head

I was like Billy the kid rattling off my credit card details to Summit Racing / Year One / DSE etc - although be warned - a complete 9” equipped Quadralink, amongst other things, is not cheap when the shipping agent in WA called to tell me me “AIRFREIGHT” had arrived - wtf - back to baked beans n cordial that week
Old 29-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Great build thread Justin
Are they DSE tubs?
Is there much / any mod required to the rear seat?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 29-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Name: Chris
One of the best builds in Oz Justin, wicked 69
Old 29-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Name: Al
Quote:
Great build thread Justin
Are they DSE tubs?
Is there much / any mod required to the rear seat?
Just need to cut a couple of small sections out of the seat frame where the mounting pockets go, and reweld the locking tabs back onto the tubs, easy....

Yip, nice build with lots of quality bits Justin!
Al
Old 29-01-2014, 03:13 PM

Name: Greg
Fantastic car Justin.

Always good to see the story behind the build.