Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Readers Rides
User Name
Password

Old 25-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Name: Justin
Meet my 1969 Camaro “Angelina"

Ok gang,

Have been approached by a few members to do a build story of my ’69 Camaro, so here goes.

Unfortunately my hard drive crashed about 12 months ago, so a lot of pics are still being recovered from wherever I can source them (Luckily Custom Coachworks owner had a few backed up)

So I’ll start off with a few original shots - now, be forewarned, these pics will not appeal to classic purists

i’ll just add em on here n there - in between a summary of works - Apologies that there’s no complete original car pic - but here’s a few nostalgic pics

Name:  build 1.jpeg
Views: 1781
Size:  190.0 KB
Name:  build2.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  170.3 KB
Name:  build3.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  157 Bytes
Name:  build4.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  188.0 KB
Name:  build5.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  157 Bytes

build catalyst story to follow …. stay tuned

Justin

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 25-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Name: Steve
Pics appeal to me.
Frost Green with a medium green interior.. Just like mine was when new.
Is it also an LA/Van Nuys car?
Old 25-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Name: Nathan
Subscribed. Been waiting to see this
Old 25-01-2014, 04:18 PM

So … as with all build ups, there’s always a story that supports the insanity that becomes the build .. and here’s the beginning of mine.

I discovered this camaro by pure chance about 10-12 years ago, right here in sunny Perth. One of those moments when looking thru the classifieds I came across the ad, it was already midday and thought it’d be gone, but thought I’d ring anyway. Turns out no-one had even called yet - told him i’d be there in 20 mins.
Initial look over the car and she seemed a peach, dropped a deposit and left with the biggest grin WA had ever seen. Originally I wanted a black camaro (as do most) but this colour seemed to hypnotise me, so it was done.

A standard 350/T350 setup - she was no ¼ mile monster, but she looked straight n clean and still turned a few heads. After a few years the itch built up, and i kept thinking I wouldn’t mind a few extra ponies - and had come across a 454 hi-perf block at a reasonable price, but never gained traction til much later.

I’d at that stage, moved closer to work staying with a girlfriend at the time, and poor Angelina didn’t get the attention she sorely needed, and a woman pushing me to sell a car “.. because there’s no point having a car cost so much when you hardly drive it ..” wasn’t helping things. .... I did momentarily talk to some mates about selling it, and there was a keen bidder too .. but luckily fate stepped in, I had a huge row with the ex (over nothing as usual) then chose the mistress who caused me less stress and left in a cloud of smoke

So .. with a new lease on life, and freed up funds I’d started planning my build.
Nothing over the top, just something to gain some street cred. Just a big block and maybe some DSE deep tubs would keep me happy. Getting absolutely toasted by a WRX (erm, on a private track under controlled conditions) really brought the matter to hand and needed to begin ASAP!

Enter Custom Coachworks .. they were happy to facilitate my engine swap - DSE deep tub conversion and roll cage - oh, plus a SAFE RHD conversion - I may have forgotten to mention that this camaro had been fitted with a under-dash chain conversion - are you f@#$ing kidding me - but I was blinded by lust at the time of purchase I never initially noticed it - and then when i did, never thought the asthmatic 350 would ever cause enough grief for the immediate upgrade - but my planned 600hp BBC wouldn’t accept such poor practise- so it had to be done properly -

as luck would have it - I’d just been offered a pretty handy job in West Africa, so being recently single and a disposable income, the world had suddenly become my oyster …

… so began the snowball adventure

Name:  build6.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  203.2 KB
Name:  build7.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  257.5 KB
Name:  build8.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  232.4 KB

Justin
Old 25-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Pics appeal to me.
Frost Green with a medium green interior.. Just like mine was when new.
Is it also an LA/Van Nuys car?
Cheers , and nope .. she was originally a Norwood with a 307, frost green and a parchment vinyl if I remember correctly , but this is how i found her
Old 25-01-2014, 04:35 PM

307.. Then that would be a May or later 1969 build I think..
Mine was a 327 being a Nov 68.

With cars & women.. If you have the right woman, she will accept you and your car, no issues, no jealousy, no sh!t.
The wrong woman will immediately reveal herself when she wants you to sell your mechanical soul mate.
That makes the "It's me or the car.." choice a really easy one.
Old 25-01-2014, 06:00 PM

Apart from the dodgy steering it looks like a fairly solid car for your starting point. (but looks can be deceiving)
Looking forward to seeing more of the build.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 25-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Name: Russ
I'm in. Look forward to the rest.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 25-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Apart from the dodgy steering it looks like a fairly solid car for your starting point. (but looks can be deceiving)
Looking forward to seeing more of the build.
Dodgy? That's a Grant's wheel. They are a great wheel. Good quality. I have exactly the same.
Old 25-01-2014, 09:10 PM

Name: Adam
I think he was getting at the under dash chain drive RHD conversion
Old 25-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Keep it coming Justin!
Old 26-01-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beRSerk View Post
I think he was getting at the under dash chain drive RHD conversion
Correct, I can't believe that is legal.
I believe that type of conversion is (or at least was) legal in SA as well. WTF!?

Old 26-01-2014, 08:51 AM

I didn't see that. (internet surfing on mobile phones is crap!)
Sorry Nev.
Well, I knew a guy who had an old RHD family wagon Chrysler (a Royale or something) with a chain drive and he said it was a perfectly steering and driving car. No slop, no issues, and obviously no one had f-ed with the steering geometry and turned it into a pig like so many other converters have done.
I was there to see a Nova he had for sale with a Chappel conversion where they box-in the LHD steering box to the right frame rail in the theme of the worst farmyard hack job you'd ever seen.

Although it might sound dodgy, and invade way too much space under the dash for my liking, a chain drive is completely fine and certainly reliable.
Providing everything is done correctly and braced, and with your average bicycle chain capable of transferring about a ton of load, where's the problem?

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 26-01-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Old 26-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Name: Stoney
Quote:
Providing everything is done correctly and braced, and with your average bicycle chain capable of transferring about a ton of load, where's the problem?
^^ Agree with this, although not sure of the legalities of such conversions nowadays. When I lived in the USA, I remember going to look at an auction of ex-USPS (postie) delivery vehicles, mostly RHD Jeeps (had some half-ar$ed idea of buying 'em cheap and exporting to RHD countries like the UK for a fat profit ) and was surprised to find that almost all of them were chain conversions, which put me off.
Old 26-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Although it might sound dodgy, and invade way too much space under the dash for my liking, a chain drive is completely fine and certainly reliable.
I have never actually seen a chain conversion, it just sounds so dodgy though.
Do they have a chain tensioner?
Ever had a chain come off on the BMX when you are really putting some effort in an bruised the jatz crackers on the seat or cross bar?
Having the chain come off your steering has to be a frightening experience to say the least.

...and back to topic, Justin is your 69 LH or RH drive now?