Password

Old 22-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Name: Chris
OMG !!!! Why can't our Govt be so supportive of our hobby

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/20/s...reciation-day/

Senate designates July 9, 2010 Collector Car Appreciation Day
by Alex Nunez (RSS feed) on Jun 20th 2010 at 6:03PM

Cruise night is America - Click above for high-res image gallery

If you're a collector-car owner, or simply one of the millions of Americans who celebrates the hobby by attending local car shows, weekly cruise-ins, and the like, you might want to make a special point of hitting your favorite Friday-night old-car haunt three weeks from now. That's because the United States Senate unanimously passed Senate Resolution 513 last month, officially designating July 9, 2010 as Collector Car Appreciation Day.

The resolution, co-sponsored by Senators Jon Tester (D-MT) and Richard Burr (R-NC), states "that the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States." Moreover, the text of the resolution points out that the hobby and the myriad related businesses supporting it provide jobs for people across all 50 states.

In observance of the occasion, the resolution "encourages the people of the United States to engage in events and commemorations of `Collector Car Appreciation Day' that create opportunities for collector car owners to educate young people on the importance of preserving the cultural heritage of the United States, including through the collection and restoration of collector cars."

It's easy to dismiss resolutions like this as pure frivolity, especially in the face of more pressing matters facing the nation. That said, these things get passed all the time in both houses of Congress, and Sens. Tester and Burr have a point. Not only does the collector car hobby help preserve important bits of Americana, those weekly cruises and shows encourage new generations to get involved and keep the pastime going (along with the industry that exists as a direct result of it).

So, on July 9th, grab your family and friends, head to the local cruisers' gathering point, and celebrate what those men and women are preserving. It's American history: the kind you don't generally learn in schoolbooks.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Cos we only have nice cars to go street racing in and do burnouts everywhere!

You can commit whatever crime you want as long as you leave the crime scene in an orderly manner! no speeding red lights etc.

Do you even have any idea how dangerous a set of shiny wheels are?

Do you know your pod filter will get soaked in fuel and blow up?

With a government like we have I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything remotely close to this!

I hate the Australian government!

/ RANT

Meh.....
Old 22-06-2010, 06:04 PM

Name: Terry
Patriotism.
The Yanks do it best and the Brits aren't bad at it either..We could learn a thing or two.........................
What a wonderful concept"Collector Car Appreciation Day" is.
Old 22-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Name: Andrew
I recon this is a great concept, imagine a day that all car clubs in their relevant state could get together to celebrate their hobby and show off their pride and joy.
BUT with a government like ours, where if you have a nice car, a fast car or even a shiny car then your immediately labelled as a hoon and a menace to society I think this day in Oz is far far away.
But we can only hope!

'78' Pontiac Trans Am Y88 SE
'66' GTO Tri Power 4 Speed
Old 23-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Name: Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT-30T View Post

I hate the Australian government!
I hear that. Our government won't be happy till we drive speed limited to 30kph, duel seater electric cars that are wrapped in bubble wrap.

We are fast becoming the unlucky country all because of our government and its over legislation and laws for anything and everything.
Old 23-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I hear that. Our government won't be happy till we drive speed limited to 30kph, duel seater electric cars that are wrapped in bubble wrap.

We are fast becoming the unlucky country all because of our government and its over legislation and laws for anything and everything.
Add: And the cars are made in China.
Add: the majority of people don't give a rats arse or have the brains anymore.. a re-educated society in the making.. dependent on a corrupt contracted senior executive service... but what do I know!

Last edited by OldIndian; 23-06-2010 at 01:26 PM..
Old 23-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIndian View Post
Add: And the cars are made in China.
that's not good.... that's GREAT

lol

http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/

Meh.....

Last edited by EAT-30T; 23-06-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Old 23-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Name: Raymond
Send a message via ICQ to *rayman* Send a message via MSN to *rayman*
Sweet!!!!!! I'll be in the U.S on the 9th July. Will keep my eye out for all the cars.

I'll be in San Fransisco that morning and driving to Vegas that day, so hopefully we'll see some stuff out on the roads that doesn't usually come out.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Name: Terry
Nice!

Might be over there too if my Import Approval gets rejected...