Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Name: Jason
Value of LHD vs Right HD

I was really looking at getting a Right Hand Drive Car, but my dream car has come up and it is LHD. As I've only really been looking at RHD cars I'm not sure how much less (or more) a LHD version would be. Is it generally 10%, 20%, same value etc...????
If this car was a RHD it would be a good price compared to everything else I've seen.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Cheers
Jase

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 15-04-2010, 05:02 PM

For Info
Was discussed here http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=3396

Dodgy Bros. Customs
Always be yourself.. unless you can be Batman.. ALWAYS be Batman.
Old 15-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso View Post
I was really looking at getting a Right Hand Drive Car, but my dream car has come up and it is LHD.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Cheers
Jase
It's a personel choice, buy the car, drive it around LHD for awhile and if you don't like it, then get it converted.
As for value ? It really depends on how original, collectable, desireable and rare it is.
Id say (just for arguments sake) if the car is worth $US 50 grand or more ? Leave it LHD or you could hurt it's value.
Old 15-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Name: Steve
Providing the conversions are good ones...

I feel that any "numbers" car or classic with rare or desirable options will probably not be that desirable as a RHD. Why? Simply because it's been modified. So, a conversion may not add to the price and in some instances, may devalue it. Imagine the price of a RHD ZL1 for example.

On the other hand.. A plain Jane or no-options car would generally increase in value with a RHD conversion. The car is now more suitable to our roads and the modification isn't of any real concern.

So it really depends on the quality of the conversion, the car and also the buyer..
Old 15-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Name: Disco
steve thats right no one wants an 69 left hand drive celica
Old 15-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Name: Steve
Or a 67.. especially!
Old 15-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Name: Craig
Just get it if you want. My car is left hand drive and you get used to it after going around two corners. Now its just normal, even if I jump straight out of my RHD daily into it.
Only problem is having to go through Maccas backwards haha.
Old 15-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post

So it really depends on the quality of the conversion, the car and also the buyer..
I agree particularly with this point.
Every one is different and has different tastes, and you would have to judge each car subjectively.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 16-04-2010, 12:40 AM

Name: Bazil
I dont think that just because my assss is a meter away from where it normally sits, justifies the expense of a conversion.After a few drives you forget its LHD anyway. Leave them the way they were made. You never know the yanks might want to start buying them all back seeing as most of their camaros are now in Perth.
Old 16-04-2010, 02:04 AM

Name: Matt
yep agree...that's why we have US Muscle Cars...cause that's how they were made...it's what makes it different to the rest...if you want a RHD Muscle Car but a Monaro, Torana etc
Old 16-04-2010, 06:36 AM

Name: Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossram 426 View Post
...that's why we have US Muscle Cars...cause that's how they were made...it's what makes it different to the rest...
That, and the fact that despite being LHD, half of them are 10 times better than OZ Muscle anyway (more options, styles, HP etc)

As someone mentioned above, it's not 1 specific thing.

One person will look at a RHD conversion and think "What a waste!"

the next will think "eh, that's not as bad as I thought"

The next will say "****in' awesome! how much you want for it?"

Leaving them LHD will keep their value steady, but changing them to RHD is guesswork.

If it's a standard base model, the value to the rest of the world would lessen, but if you find a local buyer that wanted the same thing, they'd actually pay more than they would for a LHD, because the hard work has already been done ... but it really would diminish your market, and those buyers would be few & far between.

If you start messing around with the more sort after models - the SS's, R/T's, etc - then the value will drop (and you'll probably get abused). The closer they are to how they left the factory, the more valuable & sort after they are.
Old 16-04-2010, 06:58 AM

Name: Peter
I dont see any difference in value between the two. Personally I prefer the LH drive as it suits the style of car it is - made in USA.
Driving LH now is second nature and find I can switch cars easily
Old 16-04-2010, 08:41 AM

Name: James
If you start messing around with the more sort after models - the SS's, R/T's, etc - then the value will drop (and you'll probably get abused). The closer they are to how they left the factory, the more valuable & sort after they are.[/QUOTE]

Yeah agree with that , I wouldnt chop a numbered car . for example mines just a 65 2dr impala so was happy to have it rh drive i think it will increase the value of the car as its not a numbers matching . was 283 powerglide 10bolt? lhdrive
Now its 454bb turbo400 9 inch might as well be rh drive i reckon. and the conversion is like factory as 4 doors came out in aus rh drive so standard firewall was used etc.
Old 16-04-2010, 09:20 AM

Name: Dave
Just to touch on the "full size" car subject.
All of the (converted) full size Chevs and Pontiacs I've seen used a RHD frame, Dash (in most cases) and a RHD firewall, so they appear factory RHD and drive well.
If I was going to buy another Impala coupe, I would prefer RHD as they are "as big as a whale" and can be challenging to drive in LHD form.
Most other makes usually fall into the "converted from scratch" catagory.
Camaro's, corvettes, chevelle's, GTOs. challengers, cuda's, mustangs etc. are a reasonable size and IMO not hard to drive on the wrong side at all.
Most conversions done on thse cars in the 70s and 80s were done to a price and therefore alot of corners were cut (we have all seen the horror stories)
but these days, most of the guys that are still doing it are reasonably proffesional and do a reasonable job.
If you have the time and skills like Steve here, you could make a RHD 69 camaro look like factory and drive better than new, but he's the exception and a job like that would probably cost a fortune to have done.
It depends on the car, who converted it and if you think it's worth it.
I say buy it, drive it and if you don't like it, convert it.
Old 16-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Name: Russell
I've only had a lhd car for 2 weeks now and I'd never driven one before and you get used to it within a day or two. The only thing I'm still getting used to is when your giving it some I keep taking the wrong hand of the steering wheel to shift and it just feels weird just holding the steering wheel with your left hand