Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 25-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Name: Mitch
OK. Serious questions about Importing a 2010 Camaro

Alright folks...

My sister went gaga over the 2010 Camaro and WANTS a BUMBLEBEE!!

She is almost prepared to spend the bucks to buy one of these RHD jobbies that are available for $130g's but there has to be a cheaper way..

I know we have talked about the ones in Victoria that GMH have for 'Evaluation Purposes' but what are the factual reasons for not being able to import one and keep it LHD?

Or alternatively if buying an auto and taking to one of the major coversion shops do you think they would be able to perform a tidy enough job to convert to RHD and keep it looking new?

She has a $130g Rangie and is going to sell it and wants the Camaro to be her next car... Not bad for a 26 year old chick eh...

She wont stop ringing me and nagging me about finding out the if, buts and maybe's...

What do you guys rekon?

Mitch

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 25-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Compliance is the reason you wont be able to import one yourself. Its to protect the local car manufactures. Only pre 1989 you will be able to bring in with an import approval. It used to be 15 years and older but Canberra put a holt on it at 1989 a few years back. If they didnt do this we would be able to import up to 1994 manufactured cars today as a private import.
Unless you buy one in the states and have it in your name and use it over there for one year, has to be a whole year then you can bring it in as a personal import. Then you will still have to organise to have it converted by a company here in Australia that has compliance to do the work on 2009-2010 camaros as per the laws which are stated by Canberra.
The ones Holdens have will be eventually crushed or shipped to United States. They have special registration at the moment, which would be only available to Car Manufactures, along the lines of a test car purposes, evaluation purposes as you say.

Last edited by chevelle; 25-10-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Old 26-10-2009, 07:09 AM

Yep, I understand about the pre 89 rules and the compliance issues.. As you say, if the government won't even let you import it then your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My sister inlaw and her hubby live in America and she is still an Aussie citizen. I had thought about the 1 year idea but I don't know the specifics of it. Is it actually FACT or fiction? And if it were fact, if she were to bring it in and sell it after complying, would she be allowed or would there be any penalties?

Mitch
Old 26-10-2009, 12:50 PM

This one is for sale in Traralgon Vic:

Old 26-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRULY View Post
This one is for sale in Traralgon Vic:

LH Drive?
Is it registered?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 26-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Its LHD, and dont know much more about it. It in the American Auto Imports yard on Princes Hwy
Old 26-10-2009, 03:01 PM

You can see the steering wheel on the left... I wonder how much they are asking?
Old 26-10-2009, 03:04 PM

Name: Chris
and did it come in from US or was it made local ?

Interesting to see one for sale out here
Old 26-10-2009, 03:39 PM

If this is them http://www.victorian5thwheelers.com.au/index.asp, then I have sent them an email.. Thanks for the heads up UNRULY...
Old 26-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Name: Steve
Wait until Holden make it RHD.
$130K is just ripping up money in my opinion.
Old 26-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Wait until Holden make it RHD.
$130K is just ripping up money in my opinion.

Agreed, thats why I'm looking into other alternatives if any?
Old 26-10-2009, 04:22 PM

http://www.victorianamericanimports....hicles_new.asp
Price: POA

Dodgy Bros. Customs
Always be yourself.. unless you can be Batman.. ALWAYS be Batman.
Old 26-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Yep, thats the company.
Old 26-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSCAMARO View Post
Yep, I understand about the pre 89 rules and the compliance issues.. As you say, if the government won't even let you import it then your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My sister inlaw and her hubby live in America and she is still an Aussie citizen. I had thought about the 1 year idea but I don't know the specifics of it. Is it actually FACT or fiction? And if it were fact, if she were to bring it in and sell it after complying, would she be allowed or would there be any penalties?

Mitch

When I lived in Houston I looked into this, and yes it is true. I was planing on bringing the wifes GT Mustang back into Oz when I was transferred back. Unfortunetly I was sent to India instead, so I just sold it in the states and lost a heap of cash!! I really wish i could have sent it back now. It was 02 GT with a heap of cash dumped on it, blower etc. Sold it for 12kusd grrr..

Anyway, your SIL would have to own it for atleast year and then move back to oz with it, that is the sticking point!!

Cheers,

Lyndsay
Old 27-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Name: Bazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSCAMARO View Post
Agreed, thats why I'm looking into other alternatives if any?
Hey Mitch check out www.camaro.net.au if you havn't already.full list of prices and options etc and conversion details. V8 models from $109,000 and SS models from $123,000.
Its bollocks when you do the sums on the sell price at US41k for the SS in the states, with current AUD value near 93c = Au $44,085
Im under the impession there is nothing stopping you from importing your own
but your gonna get bent over by the tax nazis and also go through hell to get it complianced. Then theres finding the right people to convert it of which im not aware of any Perth companies that do top notch conversions on new models like that (appologies if there is!). The pros on the east coast charge as much as it costs to buy another 1st gen to do a conversion( but you get what you pay for).
Unfortunatly we are over a barrel and will no doubt have to bear the crazy prices these cars are being offered at.
I would kill for one of these new models but i think im gonna have to stick to the old girl. I guess thats still good ,right.