Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM

Name: Alan
lots of folks talking about this now, one rumour is that the lic centres are sick of people turning up with cars imported from the USA that have no chance of rego due to illegal mods or very poor engineering, which we all know is a common problem with US built cars.

According to the quote above regarding customised paint, I guess that means it can have a new paint scheme but not a blown big block and wheel tubs

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Name: Steve
But.. if the mods have been carried out within the ADRs and any mod that requires an engineers report has one.. What is the problem?
That is what they should be enforcing..
Simply knocking back everything that has a modification is just being lazy and stupid.

Is DOCTARS rejecting locally made and modified also?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodge View Post
lots of folks talking about this now, one rumour is that the lic centres are sick of people turning up with cars imported from the USA that have no chance of rego due to illegal mods or very poor engineering, which we all know is a common problem with US built cars.

According to the quote above regarding customised paint, I guess that means it can have a new paint scheme but not a blown big block and wheel tubs
If the cars dont meet rego laws in their states thats fine, i have no problem with this, but to not let someone import a vehicle because its turned into a Hot Rod or drag car, very stupid.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Name: Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
seriously thinking of a move to the states guys.... its only going to get worse

webber said that....really??? where's that lol
yep

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorspo...0328-r585.html
Old 11-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Name: Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70mach1 View Post
I thought that most of the modified cars in the USA are illegal anyway and they simply get fined for illegal mods, I know that most states in the USA require hot rods to have cycle guards like we do, but the rod guys just accept the $40 fine if they even get pulled over.

Maybe before you move to the USA you should research pay rates.....I know I wouldnt do my job for $12-15 per hour?

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

follow this link
http://www.asrf.org.au/

in the middle of the page is a link that says
'click here to find out more in importation of vehicle prior to 1989'

basically.....

if the car is manufactrured before 1989 and is unmodified import will be granted

if the car is manufactred before 1989 and is restored to original import will be granted

if the car is manufactered before 89 and the modifcation were completed before 89 and you can prove this, import will be granted

You should not import any vehicle without prior approval first!! (it states this a few times)

I'm not sure why this is now being enforced, a bit painfull !!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Name: chev_1973
I've just asked around few people that work in the industry, the reason why this rule came in is that, there were a lot for example Hot rods/cars being imported with original body but with new upgraded engine, transmission , suspension etc etc so the only old part was the body.

They would get in without paying duty and GST.

The way the authority sees this is , there is an extra revenue we can make!

The problem is that ,what happens to the cars that are original but have a new paint etc minor mods.

In my opnion this will create more problems for them, they will have to be more clear on what is seen as a modification.

If this stops imports by litlle our cars will only go up in the value and thank god you got them in before.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Just spoke to DOTARS and my agent. This new law is crazy. Any car pre 89 that has had any modifications done to it after 1989 will be deemed to be not allowed an import approval as DOTARS will go on by the year the last modification was done unless you can prove it was done pre 89.

Pictures will be needed of the car to be imported with your import approval from now on.

This is an email i just received from my agent.

IMPORT APPROVAL DELAYS

As a consequence of being swamped with import approvals and queries being raised by the Department (likely because of apparent changed policies in respect to obtaining information on vehicles, etc), we are seeing delays of up to 5 to 6 weeks before applications are examined. It will be noted from the new VSB10 brochure that the Departmental advice is DO NOT IMPORT A VEHICLE UNTIL YOU HAVE THE IMPORT APPROVAL.

We have advice from many other importers around Australia that vehicles are being refused import approval and there are many units sitting in storage. In Adelaide we have a number of similar situations

Last edited by chevelle; 11-05-2010 at 01:31 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Name: Rowan
So what if like someone else mentioned they want to import it as a race car only?

Plodge, i have no doubt the pay rates there will be lower but its all relative. The food is cheaper, housing, living, cars etc etc. A new camaro is only 30k. Magazines were estimating 85k for a factory rhd camaro if it was goin ahead. You cant even buy an astra here for 30k these days.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Crap! I'm in the middle of finding something to bring in. In my case, will be stock-ish to the untrained eye...

Anyone out there got a car held up?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Name: Chris
Yeah my next car was going to be a 61 Buick. But airbagged, new rims and disc brakes...

Guess not now, need to find a stocker.....

Here's a question for ya.

I buy a 1997 Commodore and put new billet rims on it. It's still a 97 Commodore

I buy a 61 Buick that has had new billet rims on it and it's a 2010 model ????

That doesn't make sense.

Further more, disc brakes of the front of a 61 Buick would INCREASE safety. As Steve has said, it should be up to me, Vicroads, VASS and my engineer to prove roadworthiness. If it is safer it will get registered, if it ain't I have done my dough.....

This is very interesting and will make it very hard to bring cars in
Old 11-05-2010, 05:01 PM

You're being faaaar too logical for bureaucracy there Chris
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Name: Toni
Hi All, this was bound to happen sooner or later as our hobby has no voice . A.S.R.F. only deals in pre 65 and they have no balls, they just roll over whenever the "PUBLIC" servants change the rules, the politicians dont know whats going on, they just sign things off. The only way to reverse this is to bombard your elected member with emails coming up with a better way of enforcement/rules, so Australia remains the so called "lucky country". We cant as we are long term visitors with no voting rights, just remember you through your elected reps are their bosses, dont let the tail wag the dog so to speak, I'll get off my soap box now I've had more than my 10 cents worth. Cheers. mr rs/ss 396
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Australia is a Nanny State.

Heading it presently is the biggest sook bag, party pooper, tree hugging nerd of all time. I have no doubt that KRudd is behind this!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Name: Sheridan
Maybe we need to bring back something like the Australian Street Machine Federation (yeah, I know that it is still around in a morphed state), like its original intent was back in the 70-80s as a unifying base for street machiners.
Old 14-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Name: Chris
I just read 24 pages of this on Ozrodders.com

All I can say is this needs to be taken to the highest levels of parliment. I am very concerned for our car culture, and where if this minor re-interpretation of the law is allowed to pass and becomes set in stone, where the longevity for any old car will go, even slightly modded, or even (dare I say it) original but just old....

There is some work being done on a concerted effort into the powers that be, but as a car community we are way way to fractured, we will need to come together with one loud voice. I plan to take an active role in supporting this in some small way, not sure how yet

This was just one of the many disturbing posts up there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOSED
quote from a police officer at a recent cruise night in the pennisula region

" You hot rodders are a dying breed!" we wont stop till we see all your cars put off the road!

People are afraid to drive there cars with the recent blitz that has been happening, apprantly engineers reports only last 28 days!

If this continues, our pride and joys , which are an investment after all are going to be worth nothing!

Apprantly 5 cars that attended the Mansfield run were put off the road!
And asked to get inspected.

Whats going on???

Theyre not just targeting imports, cars that are on club reg and full reg are being targeted!