Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19-04-2010, 07:00 PM

So at the end of the day does converting de-value or not? I know that kinda wasnt the question but what is your opinion in it? I like the left hand drive just because its different

Last edited by dazzad888; 19-04-2010 at 07:11 PM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Name: Steve
There's a high probability of a definitely maybe.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzad888 View Post
So at the end of the day does converting de-value or not? I know that kinda wasnt the question but what is your opinion in it? I like the left hand drive just because its different
For me, Yes.
For someone else, maybe not.
I don't think there is a definitive answer.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 19-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Name: Chris
As Camaros are a dime a dozen unless it is a rare model I believe it is personal choice and while we were in America there was an auction in Texas where a RHD marina blue Camaro sold for $147k us because it was marketed as a unique one off it was a very ordinary car 350/t350 with a 10 bolt and old style cragars.

So, once again each to his own, do what you feel comfortable with after all it is your car !

Cheers Chris

"It's not a hobby, it's an addiction"
Old 19-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70mach1 View Post
As for SA lhd rules.

Here's a list of parts that had to be removed to get thru rego

braided brake lines
Sub frame connectors
rear disc brakes
HEI ignition
engine oil cooler
auxiliary gauges
hurst shifter
tko 600
aftermarket steering wheel
Edelbrock manifold
Barry Grant carby
Holley fuel pump.

To be fair to SA reg-an inspector said to me that I might want to "borrow" a toploader to get thru.

Photographic evidence is taken on the day of inspection and may be referenced in a traffic infringement or a car show perhaps?
I purchased a LHD Dodge Charger that was happily registered in WA but to get it registered in SA I had to remove:

Aftermarket steering wheel
Extractors
Twin exhaust system (they wanted a single system)
Chrome Rocker Covers
Chrome Air Cleaner
Holley Carb
Lumpy cam
Performance manifold
Electronic Distributor
Front Disk Brake set-up (because it incorporated FORD PARTS)
Thermo fans
Stereo
Rear speakers
Oil, temp and rev guages
14x7 chrome mags
Aftermarket side mirrors
Factory Seat belts (because they were retractable)

The rules also state for LHD registration that there is to be no rips or tears in the interior, the front seats and door trims had numerous small rips so I was also looking at a new trim kit.

I got about half way through but gave up and sold the car. Couldn't bear spending more money only to be told during inspection something stupid such as, "Hey mate is this Dodge painted in a Ford colour?". Some of you may find this strange but I have heard of story's where 1960s LHD cars have arrived for inspection in SA only to be told that metallic paint was not an option for the vehicle being inspected and therefore it would have to be resprayed.

Recently someone presented with a LHD 1970s Mustang with two small rust spots under the paint. Regency wanted him to rub back the two spots to bare metal so that they could assess if there was any structural issues. Because of this and other stupid demands the guy gave up, the car found its way to Victoria where it was inspected by VIC Roads and passed without issue.

YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHY MOTORING ENTHUSIASTS ARE NOT WELCOME IN SA!!!
Old 19-04-2010, 08:34 PM

It's much easier to move interstate. That's what I'd do..
Old 19-04-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
It's much easier to move interstate. That's what I'd do..
Like everyone has said on here bud there really is no clear yes or no answer for the majority of cars going RH or leaving it LH. I asked this very same question on this forum when I started mine and decided to leave it left hook..about a dozen times have still thought hmmm should I have converted, but am pretty happy I didn`t..

I think you meant it tongue in cheek Steve about moving but the irony is I definately would
Old 19-04-2010, 08:47 PM

It always depends on the car. Rare & collectable you'd be mad to modify.
Then it depends on the owner. Loads of people are happy LHD and the conversion expenses is still in their pocket.
There is no yes or no answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy View Post
I think you meant it tongue in cheek Steve about moving but the irony is I definately would
Not so tongue in cheek, no.
If all the BS is lifted by going RHD, then RHD all the way, baby!
Old 19-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
It always depends on the car. Rare & collectable you'd be mad to modify.
Then it depends on the owner. Loads of people are happy LHD and the conversion expenses is still in their pocket.
There is no yes or no answer.

Not so tongue in cheek, no.
If all the BS is lifted by going RHD, then RHD all the way, baby!
definately second that if that bypasses all the crud
Old 19-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Name: Chris
If SA has all the stupid rego rules, I gotta think that VIC has the other problem, you can get it registered, but can't drive it, get pulled over for all sorts of stuff.

Anyone heard about this.....

Tell me how do loud exhausts affect safe driving ?
Also how often does a loud car or motorbike go past a house or people ? Versus say those that live near airports. Are they going to get planes to put mufflers on their propellers as planes should like wise be deemed anti-social, way more frequent and way way louder.....

Don't get me wrong loud cars and bikes are an issue, I just don't agree with the positioning of this activity below, there is too much "spin" attached to it.

I'm running 4 mufflers on mine to keep it quiet.

OPERATION PIPEDOWN
SITUATION
As part of „The Way Ahead‟ strategic Plan 2008 – 2013 the Victoria Police is supporting Victoria‟s Road Safety Strategy „Arrive Alive,‟ which is to reduce the road toll and the incidence of road trauma. The focus will be on targeting driver behaviour and promoting safety on our roads.
On Tuesday the 20th of April 2010, Operation „Pipedown,‟ targeting excessively noisy motor vehicles and safety related offences will commence. The operation will accompany a media campaign. The operation will be conducted in the Melbourne area for a two week period, concluding on Saturday the 1st of May 2010. The media campaign will commence one week before the enforcement phase of the operation, commencing on the 13th of April, 2010. This initiative will be conducted in conjunction with:
Police Media Liaison Unit,
Melbourne University Medical Faculty,
Environment Protection Authority,
Melbourne City Council,
Safe Streets Task Force,
Region 1 TMU.
It is anticipated that various community groups together with anti-noise lobby groups will be providing their support to the media campaign.
Excessively loud motor vehicles are a community disorder issue with much of the blame placed on drivers of illegally modified cars and motorcycles, or sport bikes equipped with illegal exhaust systems such as straight pipes, drag pipes or performance pipes.
Excessive noise is a serious environmental problem impacting health and well-being. The effects of this excessive noise should not be trivialized.
Excessively loud motor vehicles constitute an offence against the Environment Protection Act.
In combination with a focus on excessively loud motor vehicles, the focus will also be towards safety related offences. Offences such as: Drink Driving, Roadworthy Offences, Fail to Wear Seat Belt, Fail to Give Signal, Use Hand Held Mobile Phone While Driving.
The operation will be conducted alongside, and in conjunction with the Safe Streets Task Force effort on the Friday and Saturday nights, as the excessively loud motor vehicle drivers come under the banner of “anti-social behaviour.” The Police members engaged in the operation on these nights will complement the Safe Streets Task force members, and will conduct duties consistent with the Safe Streets Initiative.
The purpose of the operation will be two fold: Informational Education and Enforcement.
1. Informational Education
Informational education will be provided to the public, through a carefully managed media campaign.
The Melbourne University medical faculty staff (Audiology, and related fields) will provide experts to outline the health risks associated with excessively loud motor vehicle noise, supported by relevant research. The faculty staff will not provide any front line support.
The media departments of the other participating authorities will be briefed and available for any media interviews, relevant to their authority‟s fields of expertise.
The target population will be informed of the impact of the noise generated within the community, rather than relying solely on an enforcement campaign.
2. Enforcement
Police members will be issuing EPA Notices in relation to excessively loud motor vehicles and infringement notices/briefs in relation to other traffic offences.
The EPA will provide vehicle testers for a part of the operation. The EPA Officers will also test loud and smoky heavy vehicles in the Melbourne area, including the Docklands vicinity. EPA staff will process the issued EPA Notices.
A select number of Melbourne City Council Law Enforcement Officers (3 Law Enforcement and 3 Parking and Traffic Officers), will attend training at the EPA. The training will be conducted prior to the commencement of the operation. This training will provide the EPA with the confidence that these officers have the ability to subjectively assess vehicles they consider to be excessively noisy.
Melbourne City Council Officers will not be intercepting motor vehicles for this purpose, however will issue and submit „Spotting Reports‟ for excessively loud motor vehicles driven through the Melbourne CBD.
The Melbourne City Council will share the responsibility of enforcing noise control.
A multi-agency approach will provide a maximum impact to this noise reduction and safe driving strategy.
Old 20-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Name: Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alp003 View Post
I purchased a LHD Dodge Charger that was happily registered in WA but to get it registered in SA I had to remove:

Aftermarket steering wheel
Extractors
Twin exhaust system (they wanted a single system)
Chrome Rocker Covers
Chrome Air Cleaner
Holley Carb
Lumpy cam
Performance manifold
Electronic Distributor
Front Disk Brake set-up (because it incorporated FORD PARTS)
Thermo fans
Stereo
Rear speakers
Oil, temp and rev guages
14x7 chrome mags
Aftermarket side mirrors
Factory Seat belts (because they were retractable)

The rules also state for LHD registration that there is to be no rips or tears in the interior, the front seats and door trims had numerous small rips so I was also looking at a new trim kit.

I got about half way through but gave up and sold the car. Couldn't bear spending more money only to be told during inspection something stupid such as, "Hey mate is this Dodge painted in a Ford colour?". Some of you may find this strange but I have heard of story's where 1960s LHD cars have arrived for inspection in SA only to be told that metallic paint was not an option for the vehicle being inspected and therefore it would have to be resprayed.

Recently someone presented with a LHD 1970s Mustang with two small rust spots under the paint. Regency wanted him to rub back the two spots to bare metal so that they could assess if there was any structural issues. Because of this and other stupid demands the guy gave up, the car found its way to Victoria where it was inspected by VIC Roads and passed without issue.

YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHY MOTORING ENTHUSIASTS ARE NOT WELCOME IN SA!!!
That's pretty damn sad..................

There are ways of getting around a lot of these issues though.
Club members will help out lending parts- amongst other things.If anyone's planning to reg a lhd car in SA- first-join a club and ask lots of questions.
PM SA members with lhd cars on forums too.

Don't post questions or details of your new toy (pre registration)on an open forum as I did on a Mustang forum because Regency inspectors read these forums-so they knew in advance what my car had in it on the first visit.
I had this confirmed by a well known importer on that forum-AFTER the first inspection
Don't post details of your toy AFTER you've gone through registration either-any changes you've made may be noted and your rego will be cancelled-and this has happened.

I guess the flipside is-if you want a totally original lhd musclecar -then an SA registered car is going to be pretty close to original .

Mind you-as alluded to with Yenko's etc.What is factory original and who can be an infallible expert on all cars and all options?

Last edited by 70mach1; 20-04-2010 at 08:26 AM..
Old 20-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Name: Dave
Quote:
Mind you-as alluded to with Yenko's etc.What is factory original and who can be an infallible expert on all cars and all options?
Man, would I like to be at a dinner party with the guy in charge of regency or whover the so called "expert" is !
I'd love to know where they get their "misinformation" from ?

It is a sad the stuation down there and it's probably due of a minority of morons who F-cked it up for the real enthusiasts.

But you would think safety and common sense would be more important that originality (I bet they they leave all the "pre war" stuff alone)

You guys could always move to NSW where lmost anything goes and there's nothing on the horizon (yet) for changing the laws.
The cops and RTA inspectors are pretty cool here about muscle cars, probably because they are rarely involved in any major traffic incidents.
Gee I wonder why
I just get pissed off when bureaucracy ruins a perfectly legitimate hobby ! O.K. rant over.

Last edited by anychevy; 20-04-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Old 25-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
So what exactly is "it" anyways?
1967 SS Impala, got it yesterday off a guy in Hoppers Crossing VIC
454 Love it! See Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Impala.jpg (216.7 KB, 172 views)
Old 26-04-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
There are ways of getting around a lot of these issues though.
Club members will help out lending parts- amongst other things.
But why does it have to be this way? In SA we have to put up with this nonsense that is totally out of line with all other states. Let's say I own a 1960's Chev and in the interest of safety and reliability I would like to:

1. Upgrade from drum to disk brakes
2. Bigger wheels and tyres
3. Electronic distributor
4. Replace an unreliable carby with a Holley
5. Install retractable seat belts
6. and in the interests of entertainment I want to replace the factory AM radio for an AM/FM/CD player.

TransportSA is fine with all of the above providing my Chev is RHD. However, if my Chev is LHD they are all ILLEGAL because they were not factory options for that particular vehicle in that particular year.

People have been asked to remove aftermarket retractable front and rear seat belts from their LHD vehicles because they were not a factory option. On one hand the SA Government is trying to make our roads safer but on the other they are telling us that we can only register our old LHD vehicles if we are prepared to fly through the windscreen during an accident. Something is seriously wrong when Transport SA insist that we sacrifice safety for LHD originality.

HOW DOES THE SA GOVERNMENT JUSTIFY THESE RULES?

Yes, I am sure that many have bent the rules but is all of this really necessary?

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHY MOTORING ENTHUSIASTS ARE NOT WELCOME IN SA!
Old 26-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Name: Marty
Quote:
Originally Posted by alp003 View Post
HOW DOES THE SA GOVERNMENT JUSTIFY THESE RULES?
I bet not one South Australian politician could give you a straight up honest answer to that question. What year were these ridiculous LHD rules brought in ?