Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 18-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Name: Dave
The S.A. laws on this completley defy any logic at all, you cannot make any modifications to the car, even though they may be safety and handling improvements like, bigger wheels, brakes, better suspension and steering etc. Or reliablity improvements like electronic IGN or a newer carb, if the car is still LHD ? That's just F-cking rediculous

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 18-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Name: Steve
Sounds like those morons don't allow ANY modification.. Forget those that may improve safety or the handling of any vehicle.. They don't even allow the fitting of a non-stock radio!
I'm convinced that these rules are implied purely to fxck around car enthusiasts as a way of saying, "you and your car are not welcome".
Old 18-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Name: Deano
For what worth, when looking around I was equally happy with getting LHD or RHD, and although mine's not the most stunning conversion ever seen, it's fine by me & allowed me to adjust to driving a 43yo heavy BBC car it more familiar surrounds. Ditto my gf driving etc.

But does not make it any more or less valuable in general. Particularly as every inch of the vehicle is non-standard. I'm happy
'67 Camaro: RHD - Fresh 454 BBC (Forged 10.4:1, Eddy Alloy Heads, Isky 280 Mega) - Holley 830 Annular - RPM Airgap - MSD - 3" system - 2500 HD T400 - 9" TrueTrac 3.5 - 15" Autodrags... with a bit too much heartache to update HERE.
Old 18-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT-30T View Post
...unless there was someone doing conversions to the quality of blackoutsteve's conversions it wouldn't interest me! and even if someone did I can't even begin to imagine the costs involved with those man hours....
BTW Thanks..
Yes, the man hours!
Old 18-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Sounds like those morons don't allow ANY modification.. Forget those that may improve safety or the handling of any vehicle.. They don't even allow the fitting of a non-stock radio!
I'm convinced that these rules are implied purely to fxck around car enthusiasts as a way of saying, "you and your car are not welcome".
and the regulations for LHD registration here in SA are just the tip of the iceberg, you should see what else we have to put up with. As I say:

YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHY MOTORING ENTHUSIASTS ARE NOT WELCOME IN SA!!!
Old 18-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Where else in the world.. could you be defected for having the wrong colour rocker covers...??
Old 19-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Name: Terry
I'm not sure my 70 351 C Mach 1 Mustang is rare enough or valuable enough NOT to convert to RHD-but-The dealer I purchased the car from in the USA did say that a few years down the track:Americans will be buying them back as their economy recovers because he believed that the vast majority of better quality cars were leaving the country.
Personally I've gotten used to lhd and living in a rural area does make it easier.

As for SA lhd rules.

Here's a list of parts that had to be removed to get thru rego

braided brake lines
Sub frame connectors
rear disc brakes
HEI ignition
engine oil cooler
auxiliary gauges
hurst shifter
tko 600
aftermarket steering wheel
Edelbrock manifold
Barry Grant carby
Holley fuel pump.

To be fair to SA reg-an inspector said to me that I might want to "borrow" a toploader to get thru.

Photographic evidence is taken on the day of inspection and may be referenced in a traffic infringement or a car show perhaps?

A lot depends on which club you hold your SA historic reg-and some clubs are prepared to turn a blind eye to some modifications .

I think the Qld lo2 rules are ideal-if we had those laws in SA I could actually throw some decent wheels on the muzzie-hmmm FR Simmons.

Last edited by 70mach1; 19-04-2010 at 07:03 AM..
Old 19-04-2010, 07:36 AM

I can`t believe they are so bloody anal down there. You are right by the sounds that they don`t want any car scene down there. That alone would make sure I would never move down there for any reason.I had my inspection done and my engineer actually noticed the mini tubs(chassis mods are a no-no),he said that they look like they were done very well so it doesn`t concern him.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:56 AM

Name: Terry
phew-Your car would never get through SA reg.I know of a couple of very unstock(by SA standards) lefties which never go to cruises and are never driven in suburbia.
As always- when you legislate against something reasonable-it goes underground.

Last edited by 70mach1; 19-04-2010 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 19-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Name: Paul
Driving my Charger LHD only took a coupla hundred miles to get used to.
As big a car as it is (5.2m) I still find it easy to handle and wouldn't even consider conversion to this or any other US car for that matter.
Yes it's a pain in the a$$ if you want to go through a drivethru for a burger but you can always park up and walk in to Maccas instead.
I did find it a little difficult being stuck behind a slow driver in a large 4WD on a country road recently but my passenger had a good view of the road ahead so we were able to pass safely. Otherwise I would have just waited 'til the overtaking lane.
Originality is possibly more important on certain types of car agreed, but at the end of the day it's your car and driving a left hooker isn't everyone's cup of tea so do it your way.
Old 19-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIndian View Post
Where else in the world.. could you be defected for having the wrong colour rocker covers...??
Take camaros for example with so many options (factory and dealer) in engine, transmission, brakes and wheels & tires, what do "they" refer to when it comes to "original" ?
What if you wanted to build a Yenko or Nicky clone with a 427 Hurst shift 4 speed, slapper bars and torque thrust wheels etc. etc. ?
Or a 1971 Baldwin motion stage 3 with an LS7 4 speed and 15X8" wheels, an L88 hood scoop and side pipes ?
Those were sold by dealers, brand new with warranty or would you have to prove it's authentic ?
But if you seriously modify your car to RHD you can get away with a few minor modifications ? Stupid !
But it's o.k. to own a twin turbo skyline or supra and do whatever you like to it ? MORONS !
What car is more likely to end up wrapped around a tree, the Muscle car someone invested 75 grand in, or the rice burner driven by a 20 year old ?
No offence to 20 year olds driving US muscle cars

Last edited by anychevy; 19-04-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Old 19-04-2010, 01:12 PM

I've wondered something similar, what if I lobbed with Yenko (I wish) or something similar that had every "dealer" option?
You probably could not call it "factory" but there must be some classiifcation that would allow rego of such a historical vehicle.
This is giving me nightmares just reliving my visits.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 19-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
BTW Thanks..
Yes, the man hours!
Lets face it... just about everytime I see under the hood of a RHD conversion it's a butcher job IMO if I had a dollar for every butcher job RHD conversion out there I'd be going alright I reckon!

Now If I had a dollar for every conversion like yours.... I would have exactly a dollar!

lol

Meh.....
Old 19-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Name: Jason
Thanks everyone. I'm definitely convinced of buying it now. Will post some pics when I get it.
Cheers
Jase
Old 19-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Name: Russ
So what exactly is "it" anyways?