Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Hummer

Looks like GM can't sell the Hummer brand
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...eb/0224_hummer

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 PM

Name: Terry
Just quietly-this sort of thing really irks me.

Slightly off topic.but here goes.
Here we have the great unwashed buying Toyotas and Hyundais at the expense of the locally produced product -and therefore jobs,both here and in the USA.
I'd like Mr Toyota to visit our workshop and personally apologise to us -not for brake failures and jamming throttles-but for producing some of the vilest pieces of service and repair unfriendly $h!t boxes .... ever built-they'd want to be reliable.
How did we get here?
In 1992 Ford and GM had 50% of our domestic market and now together they can't match Toyotas share.
Surely putting 5 bucks more in the tank a week can't be the reason?
I'm frightened that the Falcon will go the same way here as the Hummer in the USA -and if that happens the Commodore might not be far behind it.
The big local cars would have to represent the best value on the planet imho-and most of us seem prepared to see them fade away.
I don't get it.
...............end of rant.

Last edited by 70mach1; 06-04-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Name: Steve
Thank Crap that Ford and Holden are still RWD. The move to FWD, like almost all US domestics, I reckon, would have killed them off in Australia years ago.

I thought the Chinese had already bought Hummer.. What a contradiction that is.. A communist country to produce a boldly democratic brand..
Hummer is a fad anyway. I've been wondering how long useless 4x4 bling would last..
This where Toyota 4x4 win in a big way.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Welcome to the global village...where Australia is sold down the river for the princely privlige of kissing the rest of the worlds arse!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Name: Craig
Terry - You wouldn't be a mechanic would you. That sounded like something my old man would say, word for word, and he is a mechanic.

It is sad that a brand like Hummer is disappearing but really they were pretty crap. No power, no off road ability, hard to get parts for and the list goes on. I think Hummer lost the plot after the H1, the only good Hummer.

Although I did hear that you would have to drive a Hummer H3 for 15 years before it has a worse environmental impact than a Toyota Prius. People think these hybrids are great but have no idea what nickel mining does to the environment.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 AM

Name: Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntman View Post
Terry - You wouldn't be a mechanic would you. That sounded like something my old man would say, word for word, and he is a mechanic.

Unfortunately yes-but not lately.
Not so much Hummer but the disappearance of a great name like Pontiac is very sad to see.
I think we're seeing a scaled down version here with the demise of the Fairlane,possible demise of the Falcon wagon,the non appearance of the VE Monaro etc
V8 supercar is looking at allowing such things as Mazda 6 with V8 and rear wheel drive-Whats the world coming to?
I agree with Blackout Steve that the established(bigger) Tojo 4x4's are a good thing-but stay well clear of Klugers and Rav 4's
Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70mach1 View Post
V8 supercar is looking at allowing such things as Mazda 6 with V8 and rear wheel drive-Whats the world coming to?
V8Supercar isn't the Ford vs Holden battle they like us to get all emotional about anyway.
Those cars all use the same suspension, diff, all have to be the same min weight, probably wheelbase and a stack of other peramiters. The engines must all be of the same spec also. Valve sizes, port and chamber volumes, max cam lift and durations etc etc..
Just the sheetmetal and badges are different and they still look all the bloody same!
Toyota is racing in NASCAR and powered by the same Chevrolet engine as the rest of the field. The rules demand pushrods so their own engine wouldn't be allowed anyway. It's a crock of sh!t
If Mazda do happen to enter V8Supercar, the same thing will happen. Mitsubishi wanted to enter years ago, but weren't allowed.

Anyway, it's purely a marketing thing.. Avesco want a Ford and Holden battle.
Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc fans don't seem to have ever cared much for touring car like Ford & Holden fans have.
Admittedly, V8 Touring car was much better when it was production. Die-hard NASCAR fans say the same.
I can't relate to the crap their racing now and won't get sucked into the so-called Ford & Holden battle.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 07-04-2010 at 08:35 AM..