Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Pro Touring

Just a qquestion,I know pro touring is big in the states cna someone tell me what the scene is like here in oz and are there any club's here in australia.

I have searched the net and nothing has come up at all.

Regards Tony.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 13-01-2011, 03:54 PM

seems to be frowned upon here.. lol

I like it myself.

Meh.....
Old 13-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie383 View Post
Just a qquestion,I know pro touring is big in the states cna someone tell me what the scene is like here in oz and are there any club's here in australia.

I have searched the net and nothing has come up at all.

Regards Tony.
I dont know if there are any clubs in Oz, but it looks like there a few Aussies on Pro-touring.com
http://www.pro-touring.com/content.php

or try Lat G
http://www.lateral-g.net/

You could get an Aussie movement going.
You can't be the only one who likes "old" cars that handle in Australia.

I would be a sympathiser (and even a participant if possible) but we aren't allowed to mod LH drive cars here.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 13-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Name: Steve
Pro Touring is quite popular when you look at the amount of cars that have pro touring type of modifications.
Personally, I don't care for it (I think everyone here knows that ) because I see the modifications as more bling and overkill as opposed to function. Polished 6-spot calipers for example.. But it hurts the most when it cuts up cars for 4-links when you can easily run a 10 on OE leaf springs.
Most pro touring mods are assemblies that are sold in kits, so like crate engines, it's not really hot-rodding to me. Almost like a kit car on an existing car.

Admittedly some of the mods are very good and their function much improved over the OE.. Steering and suspension for example.
Old 13-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Name: Russ
I'm a fan of the idea ... I'd love a Pro-touring '70 Challenger, converted to RHD - influenced by the Hotchkis T/A "E-Max".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SwRwY6pDdE

I'd suspect the only thing stopping me is probably the same for most others that enjoy it - lack of funds!

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 13-01-2011, 06:33 PM

20 years ago in Canada I used to go with my Dad and watch him compete. The races were held at old WWII airstrips and in quiet shopping center car parks on a Sunday. It was great fun to watch and I'm sure to participate in. I was too young to be given a go. Pickup trucks and even old cars would enter. I saw a standard 1930 Ford Model A beat a hotrod corvette's time which brought much delight to the crowd. Anyone and any car could enter. Some entrants were very serious and others just there to have fun and maybe get some good driving experience.

The killer here would the government BS, insurance and public safety aspect and blah blah blah.

Last edited by 71RS; 13-01-2011 at 06:37 PM..
Old 13-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Name: Chris
I love PT...if I didn't love Pro Street so much my car would be full on PT (just like in the US). My car is a bit of both. Now that my car is on the road my next mission in life is to get Steve to put something billet on his car.

My car is part PT and part PS...mainly as I can't get a full blown PS car registered in oz or I would have.

My car handles incredibly (albeit only sedate driving at this stage - but it will get driven hard shortly and we will see how it goes - sideways I hope )

I'd love to see some PT clubs and activities out here. I've even looked into setting up some autocross events, although having driven in one in the US about a year ago I have to say they are way way too short. 27 secs to do 2 laps. If I did do anything out here I would want longer events

Long reply but in summary:

1. Love PT but not much happening out here
2. Steve secretly loves blingy billet and after market bolt on's he's just living in denial !!!!
Old 13-01-2011, 07:20 PM

I agree that the driving events would be fun.
I like the look of events like the Optima Challenge, not sure if it is strictly Pro-touring but looks like fun with varied driving events
http://www.optimainvitational.com/
I imagine it would take significant organisation and a monster insurance premium for the organisers.

...but what is the definition of a Pro-tourer

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 13-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Name: tony
personally i luv it. When i drove my car back from the gold coast i was getting great fuel economy nearly 700 kms to the tank. And one of the first things i did was fit 4wd brakes as with the ls2 i didnt have confidence in the std brakes on the car.
Old 13-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Name: Rowan
I suppose pro street dominated the modification trend for such a long time and still is strong but its on the slide. pro tour is the new pro street and looks like it will be the in thing for the next 10 years+ till another strong trend arrives. The trend for chrome bumper cars to have all the latest gadgets is the new style of modification.
I suppose one trend will never change and thats restore to original!!
Old 13-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Name: Greg
What can I say, I love the looks of a 69 camaro, but I certainly don't want to drive one.

Steve you are purist through and through and I respect your thoughts, but I personally don't care for it at all. I want my car to perform like a modern high performance car in a classic muscle car shape. as for all the bling are you trying to say that standard brakes are better than 6 pot?

My car is going to be a street car, that I hope to do Targa in, so i say GO PRO TOURING.

Greg
Old 13-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Pro Touring i am a big fan of, also Pro Street and the standard look is also good, but cant go past PT. I am going the Pro Touring and Pro Street theme on my 69 camaro. Have landed this style wheel from INTRO to go along with the 15x15 Convo Pro setup.

Name:  cam69-2.JPG
Views: 4121
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  camaro 007.JPG
Views: 3069
Size:  153.1 KB

Name:  camaro 008.JPG
Views: 3172
Size:  41.6 KB

Last edited by chevelle; 13-01-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 13-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonner View Post
as for all the bling are you trying to say that standard brakes are better than 6 pot?
Thanks Greg.. No not at all. Just using that an an example of ther kind of overkill that is bolted on, and then never used within a mile of it's capabilities.
If someone bolted on a pair of 6 spots, then run the 0-200-0 (mph) or the Tri-State along with Big Red, then that sort of mod is completely justified. ..but who does?

Chris, I have do have some billet on my BMX.. Front wheel drop-out spacers!
Old 14-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Name: Roger
There must be plenty of guys here in Aus that are doing Pro Touring mods, the parts guys in US tell me we are their second biggest market.
I consider mine a mild "Pro Touring" car. LS1, 6 speed, 4 wheel dics, 18" wheels, weld in subframe connectors, ATS spindles, DSE Control arms, aftermarket seats etc.
No body mods for me, why change something so pretty .
These mods were not done to create a style of car but to have a car that is great to drive (which it is ).
So is it just a new age of modifications?

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
72 C10 SWB Stepside old skool 350
70 Camaro RS LS3 6 speed
Old 14-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Name: Raymond
Send a message via ICQ to *rayman* Send a message via MSN to *rayman*
Do you guys consider the mods done to other cars like the datsun 1600's etc with SR20 motors, and later model brakes etc to be a 'pro-touring' mod?

Heaps of early holden / ford chrome bumper stuff here is getting late model LS motors and the Modular ford motors put in, bigger brakes/wheels, suspension setups from RRS etc, aftermarket interiors, the list goes on. Don't know if they are being viewed as pro-touring cars/mods though.

When we think 'pro-touring' we usually think U.S muscle cars.