Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Name: will
Brake pedal return spring

Hi guys just a quick query, I recently installed a DSE brake master/booster as mine was on its way out. Brakes are working fabulous but my pedal returns very slowly. My question is has anyone else experienced this problem running this unit? and are first gen Camaro's supposed to run brake pedal return springs? my old master was rather sluggish also. Cheers

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 14-04-2012, 07:01 AM

Name: Peter
The 69 has a return spring under the dash. Just got a spring from Bunnings and was a 1 minute job. The holes are there
Old 14-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Name: Steve
The spring under the dash should only be for non-power brakes.. Power brakes should not need it.

There needs to be 1/32" of clearance between the booster pushrod and the master's plunger. Without this clearance, the master is unable to release fluid back into the reservior after application..

I am also having an intermittent problem with the pedal not returning to full height. I made sure have clearance, so then I fitted the manual brake spring and it hasn't helped as expected. The problem is elsewhere..

Might be something here..
http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-su...leshooting.cfm
Old 14-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Name: Peter
Steve, Hoppers stoppers told me the spring is needed. My power assist pedal would not return properly without one.
By the way the booster is non factory

Works a charm now
Old 14-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Mine was exactly the same without the spring and actually the brake lights used to stay on time to time. Mine needed the spring, doesn`t need it now with the hydraboost setup though.
Old 14-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the link Steve, i also read that the camaro power brake setup should not require the spring. I installed it yesterday just to see... It was a real bugga to connect up but i didn't notice a big difference and it must be coming into contact with the support because it makes that annoying twang noise. I know my engine has enough vacuum, but i might check the pushrod clearance. a friend was tailing me the other day and said my tail lights could cause epileptic fits from time to time, so sounds like I'm having similar issues. What is a hydraboost setup Ken?
Old 14-04-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 rs Rhodesy View Post
Thanks for the link Steve, i also read that the camaro power brake setup should not require the spring. I installed it yesterday just to see... It was a real bugga to connect up but i didn't notice a big difference and it must be coming into contact with the support because it makes that annoying twang noise. I know my engine has enough vacuum, but i might check the pushrod clearance. a friend was tailing me the other day and said my tail lights could cause epileptic fits from time to time, so sounds like I'm having similar issues. What is a hydraboost setup Ken?
Basically it`s a hydraulic pump that that replaces the booster,works off your power steering pump and gives you full vacuum as soon as the cars running regardless of revs, cam etc.Theres pics of it in my build and Chris`s(Cluxford).
Old 14-04-2012, 11:59 PM

Name: graham
here you go...

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/
Old 17-04-2012, 11:26 AM

I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!! thank god its not only me. i installed a spring off my old drum brakes and it didnt help, but made the pedal feel heaps better. i have almost killed my battery from leaving the car with the taillights on over night. this problem has kept me scratching my head for aaaages. thought at first it was the booster so changed that, then no change, so redid all the lines, put a new MC on, changed to disk brakes, now installed the spring. all to no effect.

thanks for that info steve, i will hit it tonight and put a little more gap in the rod. i set it tight enough so it didnt depress the plunger, but it has zero play. maybe its too tight.

also: the silverado i am working on at the moment has the hydro setup. it must work if chevy use it from factory. it was actually going to be the next thing i researched
Old 17-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Cool thanks for the info guys, ill troubleshoot a few more times, check for vacuum leaks, and rod clearance and make sure its not anything else.. if not might end up with a hydroboost.
Old 17-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Name: Philip
Smile

I had the same problem with the booster set up, pedal not returning properly etc In the end it was actually the rubber boot at the rear of the booster where the plunger rod exits. From my understanding it was restricting the air from entering the booster and hence the pedal was not returning properly. Once I had fixed this it was good.. But since then have changed to the hydra boost system, I like the clean uncluttered look of the hydra boost system but they work incredibly well, by far one of the best mods bang for bucks that I have done
74 SuperBeetle Convertible
60 VW Double Cab Kombi Ute
65 VW Beetle in Build Phase Now
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2018 Audi SQ5 ABT Conversion
Old 17-04-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicamaro View Post
In the end it was actually the rubber boot at the rear of the booster where the plunger rod exits.
ooohhhh.. This rubber boot could be what I need to check..
Today, my pedal stuck just as I pulled into my drive. Perfect!
I jacked the front up and sure enough, both the front calipers were applied.
I then disconnected the master from the booster and the with the pedal still in the stuck position, the clearance enabled the master to return "home" and release the brakes all on it's own..
The booster!
I am quite sure there is no binding of my brake pedal.
Old 17-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Name: Disco
thats right get rid of the booster, who needs one anyway.
Old 17-04-2012, 05:03 PM

You do. Yours are hard as a rock.
Old 17-04-2012, 05:39 PM

I can't say enough positives about the hydraboost. I now have awesome brakes with the touch of a big toe.