Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2009, 01:15 AM

To convert to RHD or not ?

Ok guys I would like to hear the good and bad parts about converting to RHD as I'm seriously considering converting my 69 Camaro to RHD.

Lets hear the opinions and also if any one has info on who sells parts to convert them.

BTW I'm not keeping the original dash as I will be making my own so that is an issue I dont need to worry about.

Cheers,
Clayton.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 AM

If your gonna do it all from scratch yeah I would say convert it... do a RHD conversion using a rack and pinion or something.. Unless of course blackoutsteve is willing to help out?? lol

Meh.....
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Name: Peter
Leave it LH. Everything from the States fits. Also you are closer to the girls on the footpaths !!!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
Leave it LH. Everything from the States fits. Also you are closer to the girls on the footpaths !!!
So that's the reason i like left hand drive
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Name: Gavin
I'm converting my 68 to RHD. Not that I can give you any details yet cause we are yet to make a start on the conversion. My intention is the Power rack an pinion kit from AOI: http://www.americanonlineimports.com...camaro6769.asp
Chris in Perth has this setup on his 68. More engine bay space and no hassels with using incorrect steering boxes.

My decision came down on my intention to regularly drive it. LHD makes going anywhere with boom gates an issue, as the ticket machines and swipe things are always on the right. Same with drive thru's etc.. You'd always need a passenger.

I had forgotten to ask those with current LHD how they found overtaking cars when required? My thoughs are LHD would make this a bit more tricky.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Name: Dave
Originally I intended keeping it LHD but now that its RHD I'm sure its going to be easier and safer to drive on a regular basis. I used a steering box but if I did it again I'd go with rack and pinion.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Name: Steve
If I didn't want to drive a LHD car on a RHD road and put up with blind spots from driving in the passenger's seat, I would have actually returned my Camaro to LHD during this restoration. As mentioned with a LHD car, all the pieces fit and it will drive and steer like it's was designed to, which is pretty good actually.
Any properly done conversion should drive well, but when you start introducing foreign (non-Camaro) parts, subtle changes are made without intent or realization. Even the "correct" rack & pinion will handle like sh!t with a poor turning circle and no Ackerman if fitted incorrectly.

If you intend on shopping around for a conversion with intent of getting the cheapest quote.. Leave it LHD. All the sh!t conversions out there (and there are HEAPS) are a result of this. Those conversions end up costing the most.
You really need to find a car with a happy owner with a neat job that handles well. Find the guy who did that conversion and talk with him about yours.

If you intend on doing the conversion yourself because you either want to, can't afford the labour costs or can't find anyone who impressed you enough, be prepared to spend time and the money getting it right.
When people shop for used American cars, the quality of the conversion is the next question (or the first) next to "has it got any rust?", so a good job will make or break the car and will heavily influence resale.
My mate knocked back two cars because of the conversions. One was a famed "Chappell" conversion, and I don't blame him one bit.

PS. 69s have beautiful dashes, why change it?
Just remember also, any major customizing will always lower resale, because your taste is rarely that of the buyer who's come to see a 69 Camaro that is hopefully a 69 Camaro in their eyes.
Food for thought.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 AM

RH or LH

QUOTE:
"PS. 69s have beautiful dashes, why change it?
Just remember also, any major customizing will always lower resale, because your taste is rarely that of the buyer who's come to see a 69 Camaro that is hopefully a 69 Camaro in their eyes.
Food for thought."

What Blackoutsteve said 100%,

A conversion is probably $7,000 - $10,000 for what - a possible not 100% conversion. If really driving your Camaro EVERY DAY, with drive-ins, tolls booths, overtaking .. I gotta say I do find RHD easier and a LHD is a bit of a pain, everyday.
But if your got a dollar to spare.. like $3000, think about another cheap but decent daily driver, maybe a pretty decent commodore or Falcon, and have the chance of that getting wrecked or stolen as a daily driver and put the other $7000 and months off the road doing the RHD conversion into general restoration, you can always buy another daily driver. Driving RHD is just a matter of getting used to it like you would if you drove a windowless cargo van.
Give yourself a chance, you don't get that many chances at altering a LHD car that dramatically without changing frames, stripping firewalls, pulling brake and steering arrangements apart - if its not right the first time.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Name: PAUL
You Need To Have A Chat With Chris 68cmaro About His And Or Go And Have A Look At His Car To See Whats Involved And Then Make A Decision From There.
Chris Is Great Bloke To Talk To For Advice And You Can See The Finished Product Right There In The Flesh.

Thats My Advice Anyway!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Name: Mitch
Well Clayton, knowing what you want to do to it ultimately I would say convert it.

Two things come to mind that are of major consideration when converting to RHD.

Practicality and cost.

What are you intending to do with the car? i.e. how often will you be driving it and for what purpose?

Will it fit into your financial budget for the car?

Mitch
Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Name: Dave
Don't be put off by stories of bad conversions. Do your homework and pick someone with a good reputation and you can't go wrong. Extremely happy with mine. It drives dead straight and smooth and I haven't even had a wheel allignment yet. Mine cost $9000 including front brakes steering and suspension about 4 years ago
Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Name: Mitch
One thing you have in your favour Clayton, is Hamish.

Atleast you know that once you find out the right way to do the conversion you will be able to use his skills to do all of the fabrication and then you will also know it will be done right!

If this car is going to be anything like what I envisage you will want to go RHD! Without question!!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cammy View Post
Don't be put off by stories of bad conversions. Do your homework and pick someone with a good reputation and you can't go wrong.
True.. Don't be put off by horror stories, but at the same time, just be well aware that they are out there.
Mine was a horror story, a mate's Mustang was another and the American Muscle Car club that I'm a member of, I know of a few more..

Just as an example. Chappel Conversions were probably considered to be the best in their day.
But seriously, have a look at their subframe conversions. I wouldn't be happy with that on a billycart, let alone a classic Camaro. This atrocity is more at home in a medievil torture chamber than on a Camaro. Small blocks with "ram's horn" exhaust manifolds only please.

Most of the same parts we use today for a much better steering conversion were available back then too. But still..

This was an otherwise good subframe that I salvaged by returning to LHD.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 09-08-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Because I have to practically build the car from scratch I gave this topic a LOT of thought(and I asked here). I decided to leave it lhd as I think an american muscle car loses a bit of character converting it,that and as per previous posts I ring up usa an order whatever I want, not thinking geez I hope it fits.My car will be a toy and a weekend driver so I dont really have to worry about driving it every day. A little test I did before I decided, was to really take notice when I was a passenger driving down the road, to look at the visibility issues. Amazingly still a pretty good view in front of car ahead really.
At the end of the day it`s your choice,I found the more I thought about it the clearer my choice was for me.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Not sure what laws are like governing LHD in WA, but depending on what other mod's you want to do to your car, will these have any bearing on keeping it as left hook or going to RHD. Here in adelaide it's pretty hard to move too far from standard and keep something LHD. You convert to right hand and they seem to be a lot more lax in what is deemed roadworthy. Don't know if this apply's over there, just something else to consider. I think if your really gonna use it as an everydayer RHD is alot more usrer friendly. If it's just a weekend warrior, save the bucks for more horse's.