Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26-04-2010, 07:40 AM

Name: Peter
Rear sway bar

Anyone fitted a rear sway bar on a first gen using a local product? I was wondering if a Holden after market type could be made to fit ? (as in low cost)
I know you can buy them in the States, ones that dont require welding but drill and tap into the chassis rails and have U bolts around the axle tubes, that would be ideal.
Anyone fitted one locally ?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 26-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
Anyone fitted a rear sway bar on a first gen using a local product? I was wondering if a Holden after market type could be made to fit ? (as in low cost)
I know you can buy them in the States, ones that dont require welding but drill and tap into the chassis rails and have U bolts around the axle tubes, that would be ideal.
Anyone fitted one locally ?
peter , im pretty sure pedders have a universal tyrpe rear you can get...I think i done it years ago on my 71 i use to own. just take your chassis rail measurements. also dave at pontiworld has them for around $300.
Old 26-04-2010, 08:30 AM

I just ordered the camaro one through pedders, they get them made and have the specs already anyway.
Old 26-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Name: Steve
When Roger Penske was racing these, they used a standard 11/16" front sway bar and turned up-side-down for the rear.
It did involve making some custom brackets, so if you have a welder and angle grinder, it wont be hard to do.
The details and parts images are in Wayne D. Guinn's "Camaro. Untold Secrets" Pg 20-26.
Old 26-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy View Post
I just ordered the camaro one through pedders, they get them made and have the specs already anyway.
Thanks for the replies, I will call in and see Pedders. I guess it makes no difference if its a 9 inch diff instead of a chev 12 bolt ??
Old 26-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
yes thats rite Ken , they do getem made up thru 'whiteline' my front was thru pedders and came back' silver with whiteline stickers'
Old 26-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
Thanks for the replies, I will call in and see Pedders. I guess it makes no difference if its a 9 inch diff instead of a chev 12 bolt ??
I run a 9"' as well, had to make up a couple of mounts but no big deal...by the way make sure the u bolts they give you are for the 9'' not a 12 bolt as the 9'' axle tubes are bigger the the 12 bolt ones.

If you need some photos of how I mounted mine let me know.

Last edited by chevguy; 26-04-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Old 26-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I run a 9"' as well, had to make up a couple of mounts but no big deal...by the way make sure the u bolts they give you are for the 9'' not a 12 bolt as the 9'' axle tubes are bigger the the 12 bolt ones.

If you need some photos of how I mounted mine let me know.
Photos would be great. Many thanks
Old 26-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Here are the brackets I made up and welded onto the chassis rail(actually forgot to weld out that edge you can see so lucky you asked for a photo )

Fitted the axle tube mounts and u bolts then tacked the mount onto the axle tube after tightening u bolts.

Hope this helps
Old 26-04-2010, 03:35 PM

$50 on ebay for a hk type 3/4 inch..and get the front one for nothing..claims never been fitted.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/holden-hg-hk-...item19bbb06e38
Old 26-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Name: Steve
By the way Pete.. Have you actually felt the need to fit a rear one? Do you suffer from lot's of understeer?
Not sure about you, but my 69 with it's stock 11/16" front only was very flat in the corners. Had some understeer if I really pushed it, but on Bias F60 Firestones, I wasn't about to blame the suspension.
Old 26-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
By the way Pete.. Have you actually felt the need to fit a rear one? Do you suffer from lot's of understeer?
Not sure about you, but my 69 with it's stock 11/16" front only was very flat in the corners. Had some understeer if I really pushed it, but on Bias F60 Firestones, I wasn't about to blame the suspension.
Steve,
Actually handles quiet well. Just something to give me something to do in retirement