Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Name: Craig
Heat transfer?

Just trying to work out best way to keep hot air away from air filter. Made up panel that deflects the hot air from radiater But panel still gets hot, thought maybe lining it with dynomat or similer or maybe have 2 thin alloy panels with air gap between them or dynomat between the two which way would disserpate the heat better?. Am planning on making up vent/scoop thru bottem of inner gaurd as well but this is first step to cool air down.Thanks Ideas?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 21-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Name: Steve
Cowl induction!
You'd need to enclose the air filter and then allow a passage of cool air.
The reason cowl induction works so well is because the cowl is high air pressure and will supply the engine with more air than it needs.

My guess is any deflector you install will simply have hot air flow around it. Underhood temps are pretty damn high. Any air there with be simply be hot.

Years ago, I fitted a flexible conduit to the snorkle of my VK interceptor's air cleaner housing. They had a fully enclosed element with just the heat stove flap in the snorkle. It brought in cold air just like the my VH 6 cyl did -from between the headlamp and radiator.
The difference of having cold air was huge.

Cowl induction through the firewall like this is works well too.
http://www.deansgarage.com/media/70Camaro/70camaro3.jpg
Old 21-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu67 View Post
Just trying to work out best way to keep hot air away from air filter. Made up panel that deflects the hot air from radiater But panel still gets hot, thought maybe lining it with dynomat or similer or maybe have 2 thin alloy panels with air gap between them or dynomat between the two which way would disserpate the heat better?. Am planning on making up vent/scoop thru bottem of inner gaurd as well but this is first step to cool air down.Thanks Ideas?
I think the only way is to allow "cool" air in and somewhere for hot air to escape.
So deflecting hot air will work to a point, until the engine bay is saturated with heat.
As Steve mentions Cowl induction is one way to get a cooler air charge.

I had a mate who was trying to develop a heat exchanger to cool incoming air.
His car ran on straight LPG so in theory I think this had some merit but I think he was lazier than me and didn't go too much further with the idea

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 21-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
I had a mate who was trying to develop a heat exchanger to cool incoming air.
His car ran on straight LPG so in theory I think this had some merit but I think he was lazier than me and didn't go too much further with the idea
LPG is an intercooler as well as a fuel. It could be another reason why LPG can tolerate much higher comp ratios as well.
Ablation is the term for the cooling effect from when changing from a liquid to a gas just like with water and/or methanol injection and nitrous oxide.