Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 PM

Name: Steve.
Thanks for the info Terry , much appreciated.
A penny for anyone's thoughts on this sorta complicated one though ,
I'm going over in the next 18 months or so to source a 65 Impala SS and possibly a 70 Mustang and getting them done there by a builder who's work I've loved for a while now.
I've heard from other areas that getting RHD conversions of any quality is nigh on impossible .....
I'd prefer to get it done there rather than have the builder's work messed with too much once here , even if it requires shipping the associated 2nd hand parts from here and getting them refurbished and done there , having sorted out all the possible engineering certification issues with a reputable certification engineer here first.
I've been told that it's not on and will cost a fortune etc ... but I believe where there's a will there's a way, the money's not the issue...it's all about the cars

Much appreciated guys ,
Cheers , Steve.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Name: Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by old mate View Post
Thanks for the info Terry , much appreciated.
A penny for anyone's thoughts on this sorta complicated one though ,
I'm going over in the next 18 months or so to source a 65 Impala SS and possibly a 70 Mustang and getting them done there by a builder who's work I've loved for a while now.
I've heard from other areas that getting RHD conversions of any quality is nigh on impossible .....
I'd prefer to get it done there rather than have the builder's work messed with too much once here , even if it requires shipping the associated 2nd hand parts from here and getting them refurbished and done there , having sorted out all the possible engineering certification issues with a reputable certification engineer here first.
I've been told that it's not on and will cost a fortune etc ... but I believe where there's a will there's a way, the money's not the issue...it's all about the cars

Much appreciated guys ,

Cheers , Steve.
Steve, this isn't really answering your questions about getting the car converted in the US. But it raises the question with me..........why bother? You're far better off leaving the 65 or the 'stang....left hand drive IMHO. Much easier to get steering/suspension parts if needed later on down the track. The car will be running all the stock factory alignment settings and it's completely legal here.

A few years ago now, I imported a 55 Chev coupe from Arkansas. It belonged to the owner of a Hot Rod shop, where they built some pretty high end rods. Prior to shipping the 55, I had him lower it, using drop spindles, full exhaust from headers to rear and electric wipers replacing the old vacuum setup. It was substantially cheaper getting the work done over there and the parts are pretty much delivered very cheaply or free.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Name: Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpawalky View Post
Steve, this isn't really answering your questions about getting the car converted in the US. But it raises the question with me..........why bother? You're far better off leaving the 65 or the 'stang....left hand drive IMHO. Much easier to get steering/suspension parts if needed later on down the track. The car will be running all the stock factory alignment settings and it's completely legal here.

A few years ago now, I imported a 55 Chev coupe from Arkansas. It belonged to the owner of a Hot Rod shop, where they built some pretty high end rods. Prior to shipping the 55, I had him lower it, using drop spindles, full exhaust from headers to rear and electric wipers replacing the old vacuum setup. It was substantially cheaper getting the work done over there and the parts are pretty much delivered very cheaply or free.
Thanks for the reply Grpawalky , good news about the parts there.
The wheel on the wrong side thing's not a real issue , I driven a fair few overseas , but the stick on the floor on the right has always niggled me a bit , and I'm thinking if I'm going to dump a fair stack of cash on this , I might as well get it right.
Being a bit of a hardcore GM boy , the Stang's not for me , it's a present for a good 'ol mate ( he doesn't know it yet )
After reading Terry's piece at the top , it looks all the bits I want will have to come back in a different crate/container ( a crate engine and huffer , the modified hood and some decent meats) it'll be a case of getting all the bodywork done (no tubs or stuff like that) , suspension work , shortened axles etc , putting all the stock bits back on for import and swapping over here , although it would be good to minimise the amount of work to be done over the top of new paintwork !
But I definitely hear what your saying re the LHD thing and all the associated factors involved with it , I'll surely keep it as option B.
You still got the 55 ??
Old 13-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Name: Stephen
Quote:
the Stang's not for me, it's a present for a good 'ol mate ( he doesn't know it yet
There's many 70's Stangs here to choose from; some have been converted to RHD.

Food for thought.

s

http://www.reverbnation.com/LYCANTHIA
Old 27-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Name: Matt
Quote:
The wheel on the wrong side thing's not a real issue , I driven a fair few overseas , but the stick on the floor on the right has always niggled me a bit , and I'm thinking if I'm going to dump a fair stack of cash on this , I might as well get it right.
Being a bit of a hardcore GM boy , the Stang's not for me , it's a present for a good 'ol mate ( he doesn't know it yet )
After reading Terry's piece at the top , it looks all the bits I want will have to come back in a different crate/container ( a crate engine and huffer , the modified hood and some decent meats) it'll be a case of getting all the bodywork done (no tubs or stuff like that) , suspension work , shortened axles etc , putting all the stock bits back on for import and swapping over here , although it would be good to minimise the amount of work to be done over the top of new paintwork !
But I definitely hear what your saying re the LHD thing and all the associated factors involved with it , I'll surely keep it as option B.
You still got the 55 ??
Wish I had a mate who was gonna buy me a nice car....lol (maybe no a Mustang though)
No I sold the 55 in a moment of weakness to a guy in WA. I'd been stuck in bed with a very bad back, for three months when it arrived. The last thing I wanted then was to be driving an old car around lol
So I advertised it and it sold pretty quickly. Was a nice coupe as well. :-)
Regret it ever since cos it was so nice.
Old 28-12-2015, 07:08 AM

Name: Russ
Quote:
You still got the 55 ??
If you're serious about converting a 65 Impala to RHD, there is a factory RHD Chassis, firewall and a few other parts on eBay Aus right now:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272081801...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...