Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cammy View Post
Don't be put off by stories of bad conversions. Do your homework and pick someone with a good reputation and you can't go wrong. Extremely happy with mine. It drives dead straight and smooth and I haven't even had a wheel allignment yet. Mine cost $9000 including front brakes steering and suspension about 4 years ago
Im with Dave on this . I had mine converted RHD and ive owned both. Steers perfectly with no wheel alignment '. Cost me $9000 plus $3ooo for brand new brakes n stubs.
Im not too keen on having a Left hooker again.

My old 69 was converted by 'BILL BUCKLE MOTORS" and wasnt too flash.
so i guess its in the knowledge and planning.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Name: Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF1968 View Post
Not sure what laws are like governing LHD in WA, but depending on what other mod's you want to do to your car, will these have any bearing on keeping it as left hook or going to RHD. Here in adelaide it's pretty hard to move too far from standard and keep something LHD. You convert to right hand and they seem to be a lot more lax in what is deemed roadworthy. Don't know if this apply's over there, just something else to consider. I think if your really gonna use it as an everydayer RHD is alot more usrer friendly. If it's just a weekend warrior, save the bucks for more horse's.
This is not a concern in WA. LHD rules are pretty much the same as RHD. If you convert or modify anything the same principles apply... i.e. Engineer and modification permits.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Name: Greg
To me it all comes down to the experience too, I mean I drive RHD all the time so when the car is built, I want it to be totally different experience from say driving my 600hp 1 Tonner, just my thoughts.

Greg
Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Name: Marty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF1968 View Post
Not sure what laws are like governing LHD in WA, but depending on what other mod's you want to do to your car, will these have any bearing on keeping it as left hook or going to RHD. Here in adelaide it's pretty hard to move too far from standard and keep something LHD. You convert to right hand and they seem to be a lot more lax in what is deemed roadworthy. Don't know if this apply's over there, just something else to consider. I think if your really gonna use it as an everydayer RHD is alot more usrer friendly. If it's just a weekend warrior, save the bucks for more horse's.
Thankfully, we in WA don't have to put up those rediculous laws you guy's have in SA and a LHD car here is registered the same as a RHD car which is why i will always say there is no need to change. As for those p!ss poor excuses about safety, blind spots and overtaking, i've been driving a LHD car for nearly 13 years (2 of them for 4-1/2 years now) and never once found myself in a driving situation i thought was dangerous because i was sitting on the wrong side of the car. How often do you think your going to try to overtake a roadtrain on a single lane road in the metro area on the weekend? The only reason it should be considered is if the car will seriously be used as a daily driver in peak hour traffic going to work and back every day, which is pretty rare with any US muscle car. Clayton, keep it LHD and spend the money on something more worth while, like more Horsepower.

Just my opinion of course.....

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Okay guys thanks for your opinions. You all have valid points and in the end its going to be a personal decision.

I have no intention of the car being a daily driver, I dont like the feeling of LHD at all even though I have only driven the car a dozen times it justs feel wrong to me.

I will get in touch with Chris with the 68 for sure and have a good look at his conversion as judging by the rest of his car it would have been done right and he looks to have not scrimped money wise on it.

I'm not into the whole keeping it original and I'm not interested in resale value either. I intend to build the car exactly how I want it and therefore plenty of people will no doubt bag it but I dont care.

I love the basic look and shape of the car but so many things on it I dont like which I intend to change, modify or just remove.

I dont have an open cheque book but I do intend on doing it right the first time. I have built many cars before so I'm not green to the industry just green to the 69 Camaro.

I can panel beat and I'm a spray painter so luckily for me that side is covered

Cheers,
Clayton.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Name: Muggz
Clayton,
I too was in the RHD boat .. basically went as far as welding in the rhd rack and pinion but since we had a bub the car has been parked up. Definitely keep us up to date on your build and Chris would be the most up to date on RHD conversions.. also just for your information.. out of the 10 or so businesses that used to convert cars to RHD, have stopped doing it.. only a select few which kinda sux. If you choose to send your car to over the east coast ask for pricing for 2 cars please...hire out a car trailer and truck and a roadtrip!!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Name: Raymond
Send a message via ICQ to *rayman* Send a message via MSN to *rayman*
Quote:
I too was in the RHD boat .. basically went as far as welding in the rhd rack and pinion but since we had a bub the car has been parked up.
What rack and pinion did you use Muggz? Was it an australian car you sourced it from, or did you buy a RHD Camaro specific rack and pinion setup?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM

Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_RX87 View Post
Okay guys thanks for your opinions. You all have valid points and in the end its going to be a personal decision.

I have no intention of the car being a daily driver, I dont like the feeling of LHD at all even though I have only driven the car a dozen times it justs feel wrong to me.

I will get in touch with Chris with the 68 for sure and have a good look at his conversion as judging by the rest of his car it would have been done right and he looks to have not scrimped money wise on it.

I'm not into the whole keeping it original and I'm not interested in resale value either. I intend to build the car exactly how I want it and therefore plenty of people will no doubt bag it but I dont care.

I love the basic look and shape of the car but so many things on it I dont like which I intend to change, modify or just remove.

I dont have an open cheque book but I do intend on doing it right the first time. I have built many cars before so I'm not green to the industry just green to the 69 Camaro.

I can panel beat and I'm a spray painter so luckily for me that side is covered

Cheers,
Clayton.

Hi Clayton

If you can do the firewall and dash yourself (I am sure you can & will) the mechanical side is a piece of cake.

A RHD rack conversion kit from American Online Imports in Adelaide (Ask for Mario) will cost around $3000 it comes with the rack, polished pump, remote billet reservoir, all steering arms, steering shaft, U joints, brackets and bolts. It also comes with an engineers report that is recognised Australia wide.

There is no welding, cutting it is a bolt on kit you will fit it in about 2 hours and it will fit either big or small block.

I have owned over 12 different Camaros over the years both RHD & LHD and from personal experiences I have driven the RHD more often and feel a lot more comfortable and safer.

The current green Camaro is by far the best conversion that I have driven and with the suspension etc it drives and handles like nothing else I have driven even the late model vette that I have looks ordinary by comparison.

The most expensive part of the conversion is the dash & firewall so maybe you could do a deal with Muggz and do 2 at once, I have a spare 67-68 LHD dash here as well. it took 8 full days to fabricate the firewall & Dash alone. (but I am fussy)

Come and have a look at mine, you are more than welcome

Chris

http://www.americanonlineimports.com...ckcamaro68.asp

http://www.americanonlineimports.com/aoi_home.asp

http://www.americanonlineimports.com...camaro6769.asp

"It's not a hobby, it's an addiction"
Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Name: Muggz
It was a castlemaine rod shop shortened commonwhore rack. I wanted manual and that was the end result. This was going back over 2 years ago.. spewing AOI came to the game doh! haha
Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Name: Steve
Hey Chris.. Is this your secretary?
ooh baby!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Hey Chris.. Is this your secretary?
ooh baby!
I wish!!!! I should be on commission eh !!

As long as they look after everyone, it took me 2 1/2 years to get the rack made, Mario spent nearly $60,000 on engineering, tooling etc so I don't mind referring people as I am waiting on the same set up for my 78 Camaro & 70 Chevelle.

"It's not a hobby, it's an addiction"
Old 13-08-2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks for your input Chris much appreciated.
Looks like I will definetly convert the car in the future and use the AOI set up.
When I get a spare 5 minutes I will try and tee up a time to come and have a look at your 68 mate.
Cheers,
Clayton.
Old 29-11-2018, 02:08 PM

Rhd conversion

Hi Guys

Just re opening this thread.Doe's anyone have an idea of cost to convert 69
Camaro to RHD? And is there anyone reputable in Melbourne?
Thanks
Old 29-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Name: Darren
With my Gremlin it was RHD when I got it, converted with RHD parts from a RHD Hornet, so essentially as it would have been done here.

That said, work on the firewall was still fairly poorly done and most of the LHD bits were still intact, so I decided to put it back to LHD. My reasoning was:

It was an American car and I would prefer to have the steering wheel on the factory correct side.

Being LHD would allow me to fit US sourced parts, primarily off the shelf headers rather then custom made as would be needed if it was RHD. No real advantage with most front end components as LHD and RHD are exactly the same other than the drag link and steering box. Incidentally I was able to use a LHD box from a Camaro (AMC used the same Saginaw box).

Mine is only a drag strip toy and not street driven so the practicality of driving left hook on the road was not an issue for me.

I also have a LHD Javelin that I am restoring and intend keeping LHD, so it would give me some practice driving a LHD car to see if it was going to be an issue for me.

I also figured that if I was ever going to license it for road use it would probably be easier if it was LHD rather than trying to explain a shoddy RHD conversion and possibly having to get it retrospectively engineered.
Old 29-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by oznova View Post
Hi Guys

Just re opening this thread.Doe's anyone have an idea of cost to convert 69
Camaro to RHD? And is there anyone reputable in Melbourne?
Thanks
Why