Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 29-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Name: Darren
I’d definitely recommend an in-tank pump, the in-line one I have is noisey as hell. The new Fitch g-surge looks like it move ok too if you still don’t want to start from scratch. Have heard that the older Fitch fuel command centre was a bit problematic. Some nice in-tank solutions out there these days too.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

PS: I’ve seen some info on the Holley Super Sniper which has additional inputs for fuel and oil pressure for a more complete system. Holley also has a range of plug and play add ons like distributors and gauges now, so probably a more complete system if you want to embrace all the new tech stuff.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 24-02-2019, 08:44 PM

Haven't done an update for a little while, did go on a little bit of a weight loss program, took out the back seat and rear seat belts as well as loosing the rooftop spoiler (less drag perhaps) and wiper motor, total 46 lbs. Wasn't enough to see any real improvement in the times though.

For some reason, I was looking at the intake air temperature in the Sniper data logs and noticed that it seemed quite high. That got me thinking about cold air intakes given that I was just running an under bonnet open air cleaner.

Having removed the wiper motor, I now had this nice block off plate at the back of the engine bay:

Taking a leaf out of Smokey Yunick's book, you Chevy guys will appreciate this, I figured the opportunity to build a cowl induction air intake was just too good too pass up, so made this:

Debuted the new setup at the Nostalgia Drags and ran 12.002 @ 112.03 mph (180.30 kmh) which set a couple of terminal speed benchmarks as well as being oh so close to an 11 second pass.

Last week I ran it at the Steel Bumper night, hoping the colder night air would give me that 0.003 seconds I needed.

Sure enough after a couple of runs I had pulled off 11.996 and with a couple more degrees timing managed to reel this off:

Living the dream with an 11 second race car:

Last edited by 69JavelinMan; 24-02-2019 at 08:51 PM..
Old 24-02-2019, 09:09 PM

Name: Deano
Awesome!! Brilliant stuff Darren
Old 27-02-2019, 06:02 PM

Good work.
I imagine 100+ mph feels pretty quick in the Gremlin.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 27-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Name: Geoff
Nice, neat, clever cold air induction system.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:57 PM

11.75 @ 114.3 mph this week with some colder air, pretty happy with that.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 AM

Name: Deano
Awesome. So no further development/mods for a while? Just enjoy those (brilliant) upper-mid 11's & dial in consistency?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Has anyone ever said their race car is fast enough and really meant it, ha ha. Car is actually getting more consistent but reaction times are something that really does need some work.

One or maybe two more nights at the track before it shuts down for the winter break so might tweak a few things. I have a lot of thoughts running through my head for what to do before next season. I really should tidy up the body a bit and fix some rust issues, also getting to the point where I need to start thinking of putting some proper safety gear in the car. If money permits I would seriously consider putting a cage in it, but as a minimum it needs a driveshaft loop, should really have one already and a better driver's seat. Performance wise, maybe ditch the hydraulic cam for a solid, it sort of feels like 6,500 rpm at the top end of the track might be about the limit for the current setup.

I'm in the midst of doing some work on my Javelin since the transmission had given up the ghost, but it might give up some performance parts for future Gremlin upgrades in the process.

Last edited by 69JavelinMan; 11-05-2019 at 10:17 AM..