Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Name: Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by khany454 View Post
hey all, went to a local machine shop today to get a price on an basic clean up of my stock cast iron sbc heads, grind, wash, guides if needed, just the very basics as they have only done about 20,000k on them and everything seems to be working well. also wanted the push in rocker stud shafts tapped for rollers, and valve spring seats machined to suit a bigger spring.
i nearly fell over when they gave me a price of $950!
now i havent had anything like this done for a few years, but last time i had the exact same thing done to a set of 308 heads (minus getting the studs tapped)
and only cost me $200!!
is this the going rate these days or do they think they can rip me?
either way it aint gunna happen now, i may as well use my AFR's which i was gunna save for when i get my serious bits together. may as well use the damn things now!
dont think these guys appreciated me sayin i didnt wanna buy their friggan shop or that i could get a set of cast iron dart heads for the same dollars lol

Hi Darren ..i will cop it for this.....you don,t really have to do any of this for a warmish motor , your heads with them klms are still new so they need no work to me, you can just drill and pin the rocker studs...u can do that yourself, and you just get heavier valve springs that fit straight into the head, so a cam h/springs pinned/studs, rollers. that is good for 7000rpm in a small block any day of the week ....and very little out lay....before the was screw in studs this was all there was

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:12 PM

Name: Steve
The larger spring seats is generally pretty cheap so I'd be doing that. A larger diameter spring does the same job a lot easier than a smaller spring and will last longer and run cooler.

I recently had heads and an intake manifold hot-tanked for $175, so the old price of $200 for the work on your 308 heads sounds quite a bit off or was eons ago..
To me the $950 is easily about right.
You're asking for milling, hot tanking, possibly 16 new valve guides, 16 holes tapped for screw-in studs and 16 larger spring seats cut..
That's a reasonable amount of time and work. Did the guide work include re-seating the valves into their seats? Even better value if yes.

Recently I had my crank ground, lifter bores bored and honed with one of them repair with a bronze bushing, block hot tanked, measured cylinders with a torque plate and the bill is $1500.
Normal.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:17 PM

Name: Darren
steve, fair dinkum mate it was 2-300 max, it was about 10yrs ago though. unless the dude stuffed up the bill i dont know. thats all i can go by, hence why i asked is that price the going rate.
Old 22-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Name: Ian
Pro mop

The pro comp heads are the new design tall port. The only people who have rubbished them have put standard push rods in and farked the top of valves and roller rockers, they use a longer push rods. Most big speed shops in America are selling them cheers Ian
Old 23-10-2013, 04:14 AM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by old cruzer View Post
new design tall port
I just bought new bare heads from another company.But knowing that^^^^^^I may have to get rid of mine and get me a set
Old 23-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Name: Disco
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
I just bought new bare heads from another company.But knowing that^^^^^^I may have to get rid of mine and get me a set
and what brand where they? oval or rectangle port? Mr Rodent?
Old 23-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67TT502 View Post
and what brand where they? oval or rectangle port? Mr Rodent?
That's a moot point Ben, now that these new sooper dooper raised port Pro comps are available
Old 23-10-2013, 10:13 PM

must say, ive recently heard good things about these new pro comps, in this thread actually!
Old 24-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Off topic sort of so sorry bud but be aware. Was looking at some parts recently that seemed cheap, speed master was the brand. Googled it and followed it a bit and guess who's brand they lead back to. If they are a quality product why have the re- named their stuff already.
Old 24-10-2013, 11:31 AM

Name: Ash
Quote:
Originally Posted by old cruzer View Post
The pro comp heads are the new design tall port. The only people who have rubbished them have put standard push rods in and farked the top of valves and roller rockers, they use a longer push rods. Most big speed shops in America are selling them cheers Ian
sorry dude but that is just bullcrap full stop.

I say before you put them on your car get them hardness tested. do you work for procomp/Sydney speed supplies?

just sayin.

Last edited by BLU367; 24-10-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Old 24-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Name: Stuart
Guys can we please tone the language down, we all know that the following words are considered to fall into the foul language category, ie. Sydney speed supplys, pro comp etc. Please refrain from using these terms in the public forum.
Old 24-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU367 View Post
sorry dude but that is just bullcrap full stop.

I say before you put them on your car get them hardness tested. do you work for xxxxxx/xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxx?

just sayin.
certainly seems that way
Old 24-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Name: Ash
Haha, thanks Darren.

I cannot believe that people try to flog this stuff to people who actually know what they are doing.

James will buy some, or at least think about it and ask endless questions about it without listening to the advice.
Old 29-10-2013, 08:23 PM

Name: Stuart
A bit off topic but the head work I was having done is nearly finished
And flow figures are up from 280cfm too 340cfm. This was stepping intake valve up and porting. Best $1200 I ever spent.