Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 PM

Name: Darren
Out she comes:

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Best way to go if your going to wail on it. Give it some decent compression(minimum 11-1), some decent slugs and a nice cam/springs. Not sure on what the heads look like but if possible give them a tickle. 11’s at least here you come ��
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM

Looking to do some mods to the crank so that a standard Torqueflite converter with more stall will fit rather than the custom built one on there at the moment.

May get a compression boost with new pistons 10.5:1, but the budget doesn't really stretch to decent slugs, which are not readily available for my bore size, so will probably have to be factory style cast jobs. Resize rods with some decent bolts and a fresh set of bearings.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
Looking to do some mods to the crank so that a standard Torqueflite converter with more stall will fit rather than the custom built one on there at the moment.

May get a compression boost with new pistons 10.5:1, but the budget doesn't really stretch to decent slugs, which are not readily available for my bore size, so will probably have to be factory style cast jobs. Resize rods with some decent bolts and a fresh set of bearings.
No hypertectic pistons(spelt wrong I know) available? Usually around $500 a set.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Nobody makes them, you can get hyper 360 pistons which have a big dish in them, but I want to run the earlier 343 flat tops, that's where the extra compression comes from. The flat tops are only available cast or otherwise forged from Wiseco, but not in the bore size I want.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
Nobody makes them, you can get hyper 360 pistons which have a big dish in them, but I want to run the earlier 343 flat tops, that's where the extra compression comes from. The flat tops are only available cast or otherwise forged from Wiseco, but not in the bore size I want.
Well that sux. I still think it’s really cool to make something fast though that you can’t buy stuff off the shelf and say “ with this part and that part it should make X power and run this time”. The journey is the fun, hats off
Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 PM

Putting the factory 343 flat tops into a 360 AMC motor is probably one of the oldest hot rodding tricks in the book, just a matter of finding the right parts to do it with these days.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Things are starting to come together, picked up a pile of parts from the machine shop recently:

Shoestring budget allowed for the following:
Quick hone of the bores, piston to bore clearance is not going to be ideal and will be in the 0.004"-0.005" range, but hopefully ok for the intended use
Supply and fit new cam bearings including test fitting the cam and fixing the bearings so that it turns freely
Fit ARP bolts to factory rods and resize
Press fit pistons
Linishing the crank
Also had my Torker intake refaced to correct corrosion issues and some surface damage that had shown up when I tried to use it previously

I did lash out and have the assembly balanced, probably a good move I'd suggest.

Then it was onto the cleaning process, I didn't have the block hot tanked, so had to break out the trusty screwdriver instead:

Did a bit of gasket matching on the oil supply side of things (top hole was originally round) as well as cleaning up the casting flash on the oil return holes in the valley:

Followed by a lot more scrubbing and cleaning before finally bagging it up ready to start putting bits back in soon:

Old 14-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Made a start on assembly, crank installed:

Got 7 pistons in their holes:

Only 7 because I had a bit of a disaster and broke one of the rings:

Looks like I'm going to have to buy another full set, haven't had any luck finding individual rings so far. Think I will even lash out and spend $6 on a proper piston ring installing tool this time.
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

Success, old retired engine builder with a factory unit full of left over stock, sure beats buying another full set:

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Name: Damon
WOW talk about lucky