Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 28-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Name: Russ
Unhappy Ignition leads / spark plug wires - Big Block. What's everybody using?

So, I'm sitting in the Challenger on the side of the F3 waiting for a Towie. Time to do some online parts hunting.

What ignition leads is everybody using? What have you had trouble with? What have been trouble free?

Car is '70 Challenger with a 383 Big Black. Electronic Ignition.
Mopar Orange ECU. Mallaroy Coil. No idea on the distributor (probably Mallaroy)- and TopGun Max300 leads.

I noticed yesterday morning going to work that if I gave it a little squirt at about 65mph to get up a hill, it would stutter a few times. No backfiring, no fuel smells. Just a few stutters, I'd let off the pedal, and it'd be OK. no trouble on the trip home in the arvo.

Today it did the same, but as you can tell by my first sentence, the trip home wasn't so lucky. Was fine putting around the suburbs, but once I hit the Freeway, it went downhill fast. Would cruise for a while, but as soon as I needed to accelerate, it'd give me trouble. Got to a point it wouldn't allow me to go over 80 without complaining ... then went spastic (stuttering/jerking) and died as I coasted to the edge of the road. Fortunately it happened in a spot with an on-ramp and plenty of space to be out of the way.

Could be a few things, but I'm leaning towards an Ignition trouble as just 2 months ago I had the leads replaced and timing done - and it's never run right since. Had never given me cold start issues until after the swap either, which is something that's started happening since.

I've never liked the leads the put on. They are TopGun Max300, and just by feel alone you'd think they're destined to f*ck up. They feel cheap and plastic. Nothing like the leads they replaced.

I've had a spare Orange ECU in the boot for ages, which I took it out a couple months back when I had the boot floor replaced - but of course I never remembered to put it back in - so I can't do a quick roadside swap to see if it was the orange box that fried.

Anyways, just killing time whilst I'm roadside.

Any thoughts on the subject?

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 28-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Name: Deano
8.5mm MSD Super Conductor here. The universal cut-to-length jobbies with bendable bit at the plug end. Good luck with the tow & fix!
Old 28-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Name: Andy
That sucks arse. Probably not leads causing this though. Hope ya don't get bent too hard for the tow.

Mine are Eagle 9mm. Cut to length and terminated myself. Been on there 15 years with no issues.
Old 28-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Name: Chris
MSD on my 454 and Taylor on my 396 both cut to length and terminal fitted by me. Both have been trouble free.
Old 28-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Name: Ash
Coil, or you ran out of fuel!!
Old 28-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Plenty of fuel.

Replaced the ECU with the orange box I had at home. No difference. Will hunt down a replacement coil over the weekend and see what that does.

I'll eventually change these leads, regardless if they they're the problem or not. I don't like them. The feel soft & flimsy. I don't feel secure with them under the hood.

Last Friday my work Rodeo carc'ed it not 1km from where the Challenger died today. 2 Fridays in a row I've been towed home - add to that the Impala with the separated tyre.

Perfect driving weather & a long weekend - and I have 3 vehicles all rendered un-driveable within 2 weeks of each other.

Show Me How To Live

Old 28-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Name: Steve
MSD Super Conductors also. Only 50 ohms per foot!
Their multi angle boots are good if you have some plugs that require different angled boots.

Never a fan of mallory distributors after endless problems with a twin-point years ago. Their electronic stuff might be OK, but now I'll never know.
Sounds like it might be a coil or a coil lead or connection..
Usually when the electronic pick-ups in the dizzy fail, they fail completely. No rough running, just instant death, so it doesn't sound like it's that.
If it was playing up only under load, it could also be a simple ground connection or other poor connection somewhere within the ignition system.
Old 28-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Name: Disco
where is your ignition timming at?
Old 29-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Timing is set at 2BTDC (that's what my Crower timing card says it should be set at).

Bought a new coil this morning, but before replacing it I decided to see if the Chally would kick over - and it did. First go, no problems ... crap. I wanted it to not work, so I could change the coil, then have it work. That would let me know I (most probably) fixed the problem.

Now I'll just have to change it and hope it was an issue with the old coil.

Does that sound right? Could it be the old coil is too far gone and was maybe getting too hot or something? Or does that make it seem like it wasn;t the coil at all?

I'm an absolute numpty when it comes to ignition systems and electrics. I'll have a crack at replacing anything, but diagnostics and actually understanding how everything works under a bonnet is not my strong suit I'm learning, but have a looooong way to go.

Show Me How To Live

Old 29-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Name: Disco
wellyour timming seems to be retarded alot. I am not sure what dodge motor timing should be.... also are you running at least 95ron octane fuel?
Old 29-09-2012, 11:38 AM

I've only ever run BP Ultimate in both of my cars.

I though that same regarding the timing, but that's what's recommended on the timing card for this specific cam from Crower.

Seems most people recommending starting at 10 BTDC and fine tuning it from there. However they're also for engines built to stock specs.

Would love to get this thing Dyno-tuned.

Show Me How To Live

Old 29-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
TiBought a new coil this morning, but before replacing it I decided to see if the Chally would kick over - and it did. First go, no problems ... crap. I wanted it to not work, so I could change the coil, then have it work. That would let me know I (most probably) fixed the problem.
I'm far from a guru on electrics also, but I would expect the coil to be breaking down under load, but run normal at idle/no load.
The shutdown you had could be that it got hot, or there could still be a bad connection somewhere.
Bad connections also improve and deteriorate with temp and humididty.

What dizzy do you have? Maybe it's worth checking the ohms of the pick up to see if it's within spec.
MSD publish the specs of their pick-ups on line. Other brands? No idea.
Old 29-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Dizzy is a Mallory Unilite. I'll search around for any useful info & specs.

Don't have an OHM Meter but will check one out a grab one. Have been grabbing a few handy tools here & there as I attempt at doing more myself. An OHM Meter wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

Show Me How To Live

Old 29-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Name: Pete
Bummer Russ, hope you get to the bottom off it quick smart.

Very timely discussion too, i was just shopping this arvo for plug leads and was leaning towards some Mallory 8mm.

On this discussion, what sort of Plugs are you all running? I was about to buy a few sets of Champions from the US.

As for being stranded, i guess im lucky, it helps if one of the companies you own is a towing company.....

Australia's Mopar Community Online.

www.hemi6pack.com
Old 29-09-2012, 07:21 PM

"one" of the companies you own?

hmm. Can I borrow some money? and by "borrow" I mean "have" with no intention, expectation or obligation to pay back.

I'm discovering ignition set-ups are hard to get a feel for. You do some Google-Fu and you'll find a bunch of people swear blind by a product with over 10 years of continuous fail-proof usage; and others will have had nothing but repetitive problems, replacement after replacement, for the exact same product.

That rings true for every major brand too. Mallory, MSD, HEI, ICE, and so on.

I haven't had a problem with my Mallory set-up until now - and that was only after my leads were replaced with a product I'm certain is inferior to my previous leads; and I'm judging this solely on how it feels in my hands - not how it performs (as I have no clue on their ability nor the knowledge to be able to tell).

I swear when I popped the bonnet on the side of the road, the lead/connector attached to the coil simply slipped off when I touched it. To best describe how they "feel" to the touch, I would say they're as slippery as a condom - that's the sort of cheap, slimy, plasticy feel they have to them. Definitely not the sort of thing I'd expect to belong attached to a Big Block.

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 29-09-2012 at 07:23 PM..