Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Throttle linkage upgrade

Hi guys,

I've got a 69 Camaro with what looks like the original throttle rod setup.

It feels kinda clunky under foot and I'm lucky to get 80% on the throttle position sensor if I push as hard as I can and can't see anyway of adjusting it. I also have a problem where the bracket that bolts to the firewall hits the valve cover.

Has anyone on here down an upgrade to it?

Is it an easy swap?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-04-2019, 01:05 AM

Name: Mat
6cylinders had a cable throttle. I changed mine over pretty easy.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331876814902
Old 02-05-2019, 04:00 PM

Jury is out between cable v's linkage - people all have their own preferences.

I converted mine to a cable setup. I have yet to do a lot of driving as car is still being worked on, but have driven a little and it seems pretty good.

On my 68, I did originally buy an after market version of the OEM style pedal used on that 6 cyl (for cable use). Can't comment on the 69 as per previous post - may or may not use the same pedal - but the replacement you will commonly find for your 68 is NOT well made. I thought it was rubbish. Lot's of flex, mostly plastic. NOT robust.

In the end I replaced the lot.

Cable I went with was lokar adjustable: http://www.lokar.com/throt-cable-kickdowns.html

Pedal I went with was an assembly from Billet Specialties as it retained a OEM look....at least a little. http://www.billetspecialties.com/ped...maro/firebird/

I did have to create new hole in my firewall to align the pedal linkages and the cable for smooth operation, (does vary on these older cars) otherwise it was a bolt on deal.

I did have a cable bracket from FAST which also made my life easy....https://www.fuelairspark.com/throttl...mount-kit.html

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:03 PM

Name: Geoff
I don't think you can beat a cable for throttle actuation. Unaffected by engine movement etc. Linkages/rods need connection points, adds places that have clearance/wear issues.

To keep your throttle cable nice & smooth in operation, periodically remove the end from the engine. Hang it up & dribble auto trans fluid into it until it exits at the pedal end. This will lubricate it & keep the nice feel.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 4 View Post
I don't think you can beat a cable for throttle actuation. Unaffected by engine movement etc. Linkages/rods need connection points, adds places that have clearance/wear issues.

To keep your throttle cable nice & smooth in operation, periodically remove the end from the engine. Hang it up & dribble auto trans fluid into it until it exits at the pedal end. This will lubricate it & keep the nice feel.
I agree, cable is better (for me anyway). I converted my 68 to cable. Compared to my HQ (which had linkage) it is much smoother.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 08-05-2019, 03:12 PM

Name: Mat
Lokar also make a pedal that uses factory mount for a cable conversion.