Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Name: Matt
Looking for a Pontiac Motor

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on US Muscle but i'm hoping you might be able to help me out. I've got a 76 Trans Am but popped a motor a while back and so far haven't been able to find a replacement. Basically, I'm looking for a 400 or 455 to throw in it and am interested in anything from a rotating assembly/short block through to a complete engine. Let me know what you've got..

Thanks,
Matt

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 PM

Name: Pete
There's a complete rebuilt 400ci on Ebay up your way right now. Not cheap but i bet you could negotiate with him.

Australia's Mopar Community Online.

www.hemi6pack.com
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM

Welcome to the site mate. It`s not rebuildable? If you do that at least you know it`ll be good, or just put a chev in it bud that`s what most pontiac owners do Bait set.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Name: Jase
Send a message via MSN to chevval
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy View Post
Welcome to the site mate. It`s not rebuildable? If you do that at least you know it`ll be good, or just put a chev in it bud that`s what most pontiac owners do Bait set.
hahaha not biting!!!

Mate welcome, If you can get a block crank etc I have a set of 6H heads and manifold which are correct for that year. Heads will need some work, however they are complete.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 AM

Name: graham
400 for sale here, ok price.

http://camaro-firebird.org/forum/vie...t=4345&start=0
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 PM

Name: Matt
Thanks for the replies guys.. I've had a bit of a look and am just surprised at the limited availability of poncho motors in australia.. But i guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it right? i've sent the guy on ebay a message and will probably call about the one on camaro-firebird tomorrow if i get a chance. I've also tracked down a rebuilder in the ACT and was just wondering if there's anything in particular i should look out for with pontiac motors. I know about the different engine mounts on early/late blocks but what are the indicators of an unsalvageble motor?

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

oh, and my motors fairly well knackered. had a rod go through both sides of the sump which took out all sorts of stuff. plus its a 500557 block that was out .040i think so not the best thing anyway. the heads and whatnot are okay (can't remember what heads they are tho, i'll have to check) so ideally just need the bottom end but like i said i'll look at whatevers out there. oh and chevguy - i thought about an ls1/2 conversion but can't get the idea of a 468 or 535 stroker down the track out of my head.. thanks for the help so far, i look forward to hearing more soon
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM

i've got a poncho 350,from 1973 i can sell you,
I'm getting my 400 rebuilt as we speak.rebore max 0.60,crack tested block,they can split in the valley,not much you can see without taking the heads off
Theres a few rebuilt motors on ebay USA,good prices
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM

Have an Olds 455 & TH400 combo for sale in Vic. $2500 ... it's a beaut

Gary Thorpe
Member - Oldsmobile Club of Australia
Two Oldsmobile's - a 1967 Delta 88 & a 71 Cutlass
This is a 1972 Cutlass "S"
Sth.Eastern suburbs, Melbourne, Vic.

Last edited by OldsmobilesDownUnder.com; 13-09-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 PM

Name: graham
the 557 would most likley have low compression 6x heads, great 455 heads. plenty of 400 pontiac motors around you just have to be patient and keep looking, most of us hang onto them when we have the cars. try a post on camarofirebird.
i would go the rebuild route then you know what's in it, new rods a must do, (but you know that)
i bought a used pontiac motor once, the guy said he was using it and it was a great runner, that turned out to be false, had a spun bearing & the crank was shot, so be wary of motors you can't hear running.
shane richards in act may have a rebuilder or kym at adelaide speed.
cheers
http://www.adelaidespeedshopusaimpor...orsaleengines/