Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM

1967 Firebird

Hey guys....

The ball has started to roll..... albeit very slowly

Got the bird blasted a couple weeks back. pictures below.

Rust wise.... very good, frames and body are in great condition.
dent wise.... well.... its been beaten up in its previous life and as we've come to know, the American's love their bog

I'll be needing to get some patch panels as the guy doing the work reckons it will be cheaper and easier to just pop some door skins and other panels on then trying to repair and smooth out the current panels.

Panels i need are;
Both door skins (one isn't too bad), right rear quarter, rear parcel panel and maybe the beaver. bonnet is nice and strong but when you run your hand down it from window to bumper its like riding waves

I've checked online and the repair panels are quite cheap in price.

Any recommendations on where i purchase from?
Dynacorn?
Classic Industries?

Also, shipping... I would assume it would be cheaper to get all the parts in one hit and then stick them into a shipping container.
does USA to AUS to this?

any help will be appreciated.

cheers,
Luke

Name:  V__6142.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  V__641F.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  82.2 KB

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM

Name: Russ
He's alive! About time the bird got some love.

Have you checked Pontiworld for the panels? With the dollar not being so great, you might find their prices reasonable.

I bought a heap of panels in for the C10 through USA2AUS. Whilst good, it still not exactly cheap, especially once you factor in freight within the US, and GST etc if you're over a grand - which you probably will be.

You might find Pontiworld's prices, even if slightly higher, worth the lesser hassle. Plus you can simply drive over and pick it up yourself.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Name: Mike
Good to see Luke, How did you go bringing over your motor.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 PM

Name: Allan
car't you buy every thing here....there the same panels
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM

Name: graham
here's one vote for not buying OER brand, took 20 hours just to get a guard to fit right, just did not fit, miles off, you might be ok with patch panels, but use as much original metal as you can. good luck with the build..also if you need a new hood you will need to fit a 68 latch, just went through this..
1967 Pontiac Firebird-home built 470 Pontiac-turbo 400-3500 conv-9inch 3:55 - 11:06 @ 125:10 mph.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Name: Dave
Hey Luke,

good original hood on Gumtree, needs a little work if ya wanna plug up the hood tach hole, but now a reasonable price, it beens dropped by 50% over 1 year.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strat...net/1052771102

and another repo from up your way on fleabay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pontiac-F...item3f3da21e30

Goodluck!!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 PM

Name: Greg
I would be talking to the blaster, I do this for a living and using Garnett has probably destroyed the bonnet. There is no way I would use garnet on anything, but I see panels that have been destroyed all the time by sandblasters.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM

Motor came over just fine....like... forever ago

it has just been sitting there looking forlorn... i've been turning it over every now and again which reminds me... will be doing that this weekend.

Its a bit sad looking at a 15k engine just sitting there in the corner of the garage
haha reminds me... i ended up doing a dodgy in photoshop to drop the price from 15k - 8.5k to save on customs... worked great!

Thanks guys for the help... i'm thinking about it now and with our dollar slowly dropping and the shipping costs, it might be easier for me to pick up the panels either from Pontiworld or even Gumtree/eBay if they turn up (Cheers Grechy)

I did a quick calculation between Pontiworld and Classic Industries for;
2 door skins
RH rear quarter skin
Upper rear panel
Beaver

it came to double the price just on parts... add the $ exchange and extras for shipping and it doesn't seem too bad...
Unless someone knows of how to get a good deal with shipping parts from the States.
and, i can go pick the parts up.
i will only need skins only because the frames are in good condition which also drops the cost.

i'm pretty sure the car was soda blasted so it shouldn't have been affected like garnet blasted ones...looking again at the website it says soda blasting.

Also might grab some bolt kits from overseas.. i seem to have lost my LH door bolts during my house move to Picton recently
Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Name: Russ
For ridgy-didge bolt kits: http://www.amkproducts.com

Shipping via USA2AUS for example, going by their prices on their website, just for shipping, the door skins, upper panel and beaver would run you $150 each; and the quarter skin would be $250.

That's $850 just for shipping - you'll still have GST, etc, and freight form the US retailer to the port. You might catch a break if the retailer can pack some of the parts together (both doors skins in same box, etc) - but then you run the risk of damaged panels. Also look for retailers offering free truck freight over X amount of $. I got lucky with LMC truck doing that. Free truck freight within the US for orders over $1000.

You can save money if all your parts can fit & be wrapped on a standard pallet - but with the quarter skin, that won't fit.

Not sure how other companies price, but that'd be pretty much par for the course. As I said though, the size of the quarter skin/panel doesn't really give you many options. They take up space, and space is money.

Good luck.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Name: Greg
[QUOTE=smote;158373]

I'm pretty sure the car was soda blasted so it shouldn't have been affected like garnet blasted ones...looking again at the website it says soda blasting.

If it was soda blasted, make sure it is neutralized with acid or your paint will have adhesion problems. That pink stuff on the floor of the blast booth is Garnett, and from what I see in the pictures it looks like it has been blasted with Garnett. If it has he has most defiantly destroyed you bonnet.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Name: Mike
Nice work on the price. Finally got mine started the other week, with no drama's at all, Kev does some nice work. With the body work the only item I had to get replaced was the floor pan, which I got from Pontiworld, most gear I've ordered lands on your door step with in a couple of days. You gotta be happy with that.

Last edited by pfb67; 11-10-2014 at 02:27 PM..