Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13-07-2010, 12:31 AM

Have to go with Marty the the best bang for buck is NoS. A hell of a lot cheaper than super charging and turbos

Dont hate just cuz mine is newer

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 13-07-2010, 05:26 AM

Name: Steve
How about spend your money (stuff all of it in comparison) tuning what you have on the dyno and/or track.
The seat of your pants is an inconsistant, misleading and lousey tuning tool.
Old 13-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Leading on a bit from what steve said, do you have a 1/4 mile time goal or something? I started with that and worked out the hp I needed. A dyno figure to me doesn't mean Jack really, you might not need as much as you think to have fun. Maybe a few grand spent on yours may get you the performance you want
Old 13-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Name: Warren
For what it is worth I have quickly learnt you just do it once and do it properly heading towards your vision for the car. If your goal is an LS7 then every $ spent should take u towards an LS7 or accomodating one (diff, suspension etc etc) especially if it is only 12 months away. At the end of the day though its your car and your $

Last edited by ElectricOrange69; 13-07-2010 at 02:11 PM..
Old 13-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Steve / Ken, I have pretty much made my mind up in the sense that I will keep what I have at the moment and start cobbling together the bigger motor. In the mean time get the LS6 tuned and make a few passes down the quarter and go from there. My actual main objectives are to build a car that I can take down to Barbagello or Collie on track days, learn how to drive it properly and eventually achieve some fairly competitive lap times. It also needs to be a great cruiser and pull some decent quarter times, I would like to run something in the 12sec region, and go from there - dont think this will be possible tuning the LS6!

To sum it up I want something that has heaps of power 700 - 800HP, handles very well, but is also very streetable for long cruises etc. This is really why I choose an LS over a traditional SBC or BBC and this is going to sound pretty lame , but I have always wanted a big cube Camaro. So no matter what I will be building the an alloy LS, more than likely a 427 as from what I have read you really start forking out heaps of coin without huge gains with the bigger cube LS's - 454 and 481's, plus the 427 will rev a lot harder and was OEM in the Camaro

Warren, see I have listerned to you and Marty Like I said earlier Im glad I posted this up, not its time to find a decent builder in teh states to get a Warhawrk short block off, Rocketindustries are the Aussie vendor, but there is no way I'm going with them.

Last edited by 69SS; 13-07-2010 at 04:23 PM..
Old 13-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS View Post
Steve / Ken, I have pretty much made my mind up in the sense that I will keep what I have at the moment and start cobbling together the bigger motor. In the mean time get the LS6 tuned and make a few passes down the quarter and go from there. My actual main objectives are to build is to have a car that I can take down to Barbagello or Collie on track days, learn how to drive it properly and eventually achieve some fairly competitive lap times. It also needs to be a great cruiser and pulled some decent quarter times, I would like to run something in the 12sec region, and go from there - dont think this will be possible tuning the LS6!

To sum it up I want something that has heaps of power 700 - 800HP, handles very well, but is also very streetable for long cruises etc. This is really why I choose an LS over a traditional SBC or BBC and this is going to sound pretty lame , but I have always wanted a big cube Camaro. So no matter what I will be building the an alloy LS, more than likely a 427 as from what I have read you really start forking out heaps of coin without huge gains with the bigger cube LS's - 454 and 481's, plus the 427 will rev a lot harder and was OEM in the Camaro

Warren, see I have listerned to you and Marty Like I said earlier Im glad I posted this up, not its time to find a decent builder in teh states to get a Warhawrk short block off, Rocketindustries are the Aussie vendor, but these is no way I'm going witgh them.
Sounds awesome. With 700hp though 12s might turn out to be 10s and so you might only get one go at it
Old 13-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
its time to find a decent builder in teh states to get a Warhawrk short block off, Rocketindustries are the Aussie vendor, but these is no way I'm going witgh them.
Bill Mitchell..
http://www.theengineshop.com/product...rt-blocks.html
Take your pick..

Else Mast do the LSX motors for Tom Nelson...(Although dont think they are Warhawks)
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/....php?cat=Short Block

Active Auto did a twin turbo Warhawk a while back, might be able to source a short block through them..

Dodgy Bros. Customs
Always be yourself.. unless you can be Batman.. ALWAYS be Batman.
Old 13-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaTerra69 View Post
Sounds awesome. With 700hp though 12s might turn out to be 10s and so you might only get one go at it
Thats only if I can get used to shifting right

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by S[_]SPECT View Post
Bill Mitchell..
http://www.theengineshop.com/product...rt-blocks.html
Take your pick..

Else Mast do the LSX motors for Tom Nelson...(Although dont think they are Warhawks)
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/....php?cat=Short Block

Active Auto did a twin turbo Warhawk a while back, might be able to source a short block through them..
Thanks Birchy, Im dropping a few guys emails now for advice and cost.
Old 13-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Name: Greg
Quote:
Hey Greg,

Plan was to go with Worlds Warhawk Alloy block, not sure on capacity yet, no iron LSX for me .. The RHS block does look pretty sweet, want see if we can get a group discount? Who will you be buying it through?

Cheers,

lyndsay
Lindsay, I am going to have it built in the States through Frank, Just do your home work on the Warhawk blocks as they had a lot of problems with liner movement, when they were released.

Greg
Old 13-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonner View Post
Lindsay, I am going to have it built in the States through Frank, Just do your home work on the Warhawk blocks as they had a lot of problems with liner movement, when they were released.

Greg
Greg,

Do you have any more info on the liner movement? I can't find anything except on the early blocks back in 2007. Is it still an issue?

When are you getting your motor built? If there are still issues with the Warhawks I could be persuaded to go with a RHS block .

I'm having issues with email to Frank and Lisa, Lisa mentioned that they where having issues with email from accouts outside of oz, are you having any issues? I would normally call but its hard to get an ISD line out of my office in cairo!

Cheers,

lyndsay
Old 14-07-2010, 04:26 PM

There is a trap where people don't seat the sleeves properly before decking the block and if they are not seated on the registers then they will move. I highlighted this to the guys for my engine but they already knew about it.

There is a tech bulliten (Aluminium Block Sleeves) at:

http://www.theengineshop.com/custome...Bulletins.html

Having said that there may well be an issue with the blocks as well for all I know

Researching this stuff on the net is like trying to diagnose medical conditions - you lookup headache and end up with 3 days to live.

Find someone you trust to build it and will stand behind any issues (unless you can do it yourself) and then take their advice...

Last edited by ElectricOrange69; 14-07-2010 at 07:11 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaTerra69 View Post
There is a trap where people don't seat the sleeves properly before decking the block and if they are not seated on the registers then they will move. I highlighted this to the guys for my engine but they already knew about it.

There is a tech bulliten (Aluminium Block Sleeves) at:

http://www.theengineshop.com/custome...Bulletins.html

Having said that there may well be an issue with the blocks as well for all I know

Researching this stuff on the net is like trying to diagnose medical conditions - you lookup headache and end up with 3 days to live.

Find someone you trust to build it and will stand behind any issues (unless you can do it yourself) and then take their advice...
Thanks for the link Warren and the info, its very handy. I with you 100% on the web thing, its a great tool, but can really end up screwing with your head
I'm still to find out the exact issue with the World blocks, but will call Frank at Prodigy when i'm home to discuss the issue and ask his advise, and may go with the RHS block that Greg will be building!

Cheers,