Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Name: Ash
Man! I would have just borrowed a coil, I probably should have suggested that.

Anyway, as Steve said, I would be checking the fuel filter, then I would check for that little filter in the fuel inlet too, if they clog you are screwed.

How does one "take out and inch of vacuum advance"?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 13-10-2012, 10:19 PM

Name: Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU367 View Post
Man! I would have just borrowed a coil, I probably should have suggested that.

Anyway, as Steve said, I would be checking the fuel filter, then I would check for that little filter in the fuel inlet too, if they clog you are screwed.

How does one "take out and inch of vacuum advance"?
Now I know it's not the coil, I'll put the old one back on and chuck the new one on the shelf. Gives me a spare for the future. Never a bad thing.

I'll run through the filter and carb tomorrow.

Regarding the vacuum advance - I get lost on that sh*t. The ignition/carby/vacuum system is lost on me. I understand their function in a rudimentary sense, but the intricacies of how they are tuned and integrate are beyond me.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 17-10-2012, 02:16 PM

OK, so ... Dropped the Challenger at the mechanics yesterday, and he just rang and said it's right to go.

He has retarded in the initial timing to about 2 1/2 (yes, 2.5) to eliminate as much pinging as he could, with total advance set at around 10.

Yet to drive it, but how does that sound to you?

When I originally started this thread I had done a lot of searching on Mopar forums, and those numbers aren't actually that uncommon.

Guess I'll just have to drive it and see what's what.

Show Me How To Live

Old 17-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
OK, so ... Dropped the Challenger at the mechanics yesterday, and he just rang and said it's right to go.

He has retarded in the initial timing to about 2 1/2 (yes, 2.5) to eliminate as much pinging as he could, with total advance set at around 10.

Yet to drive it, but how does that sound to you?

When I originally started this thread I had done a lot of searching on Mopar forums, and those numbers aren't actually that uncommon.

Guess I'll just have to drive it and see what's what.

Does he mean 10 in the dizzy?? Man I don't know nuthin about Mopars but that sounds bizarre. I run my **** at 18 initial with 38 total.
Old 17-10-2012, 03:37 PM

I gots no idea. Just picked it up and it's running worse. It's "splotchy" taking off, and if I give it a bootfull, I get a high pitched squeal. I'm hoping the latter is just some belt slipping, but I dunno.

Tried to check the timing but there's too much light outside. Can't make it out, but it's way off the original markings on the pulley.

Done with this for now. Going to find a local place with a Dyno that know what a carburetor is and tune it right. After that, if it doesn't resolve my original kangaroo hopping on the freeway - I'll let Chris @ SMS in Padstow go to town on it.

Show Me How To Live

Old 17-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Name: Dave
Quote:
Fine on level suburban roads putting around at 60/70. Even when giving it a squirt. Nothing happens.

Problem has only ever been on the freeway doing freeway speeds (100+km/h). RPM range when it first happens is usually 3000 or so (car does approx 2700rpm's @ 110km/h)

If memory serves me correctly, each time I've taken it out, the first time it happens is always on an incline, just after a start giving it a bit to get up it.

After that first time, it'll go either way - sometimes on an incline without accelerating, other times on a flatter road whilst accelerating. Always on the freeway.

Always when under load. Never when idling, or revving in Neutral or Park.

He said he removed about an inch of vacuum advance. Didn't say why he though that necessary though. Just did it.
Possibly (like others suggested) bad fuel pump, clogged filter, or a bent or clogged pickup in the tank.
He probably reduced your vacuum advance because he increased the mechanical advance without limiting it, maybe.
Old 17-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Name: Kaz, but sometimes Mal
Russ you jinxed us... we replaced the distributor cap, rotor cap, put in electric points, spark plug leads and coil!!.. in the 67 impala recently.. checked the timing as well to make sure all okay.. now she has decided to play up a bit! Rough idle in stationary drive - and only now and again, Driving she is perfectly fine .. so getting the carby checked out (way overdue) and getting her dyno'd too next week.

So lets hope we both have good luck soon!
Old 17-10-2012, 04:07 PM

I have to agree with 66, 2.5 intitial and 10 total sounds waaaay too retarded.
Total advance is normally well into the 30s.

Your problem started after new leads and timing adjustment.
It sound like your problem is all timing and the last guy adjusting back to 2.5 has gone the wrong way.

I would, just as an experiment, throw another 15-20 degrees of advance at it and go for a drive.
Old 17-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Name: Steve
Get a piston-stop and make sure that TDC is actually TDC.
Old 18-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Get a piston-stop and make sure that TDC is actually TDC.
find a better mechanic

Tex
Old 18-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Name: Ash
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex013 View Post
find a better mechanic

Tex
+1.

I wouldn't waste my time with a local guy if you think you are going to take it to another place... will just end up costing you more hourly rate.
Old 18-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Name: John
I'll offer to take that nasty MoPar off your hands for you! (my 500 would reside nicely between the front wheels!) Bloody cars! All good while they're running right! But seriously, sounds like fuel filter, jetting or advance is wrong. Not something silly like the choke sucking closed under accelleration? Had that problem with a Holley once before.
Old 18-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU367 View Post
+1.

I wouldn't waste my time with a local guy if you think you are going to take it to another place... will just end up costing you more hourly rate.
The only business that place will get from me now is rego checks and tyre changes on the work vehicles.

Found a place about 30 minutes drive away. Chris Bales in Toronto.

Went in there this arvo, had a chat, and booked it in for a full dyno tune. There was a Mustang already there (I found the recommendation on a Mustang forum); he new what my Chev was immediately from 40 ft away (not as common as you'd think); and when I said what car I was booking in - '70 Dodge Challenger - he said "oh sweet as! My mate just bought a '68 Super Bee at a Meccum Auction. Should be here soon."

Hopefully that's a good sign.

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 18-10-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM

OK. Have a bit of an update on this.

Dropped the Chally at the Dyno place on Thursday, and they've figured a few things out. Don't have all the facts yet. Will go into more detail when I pick up the car, but here's a quick layman's rundown.

On the Dyno it was experiencing the same problems I originally had - missing/skipping in top gear, over 90km/h in the 3000-4000 rpm range. They discovered a few things:

1) The the initial timing and advance were way off. It was pinging it's head off.

2) There was something wrong with the Crank Angle Sensor / Crank Position Sensor (whatever it's called). Waiting on a replacement from Rocket Ind. which should be there on Monday. Not sure on the specifics, but it was worn/cracked/damaged or something.

3) The fuel was filthy. The fuel filter was clogged. So much so that I couldn't blow through it. The fuel - and this is not one bit of exaggeration - looked like the chocolate Up&Go I drank this morning. No sh*t. It was putrid. I wish I had my camera with me. You would laugh your arse off. It wasn't just a fuel with a bit of noticeable dirt in it - it was a solid brown liquid.

The filter was changed a few months back. There's no way they wouldn't have noticed it. About a week after it was changed, the tank was actually removed when I had the boot floor replaced. I'm assuming that movement stirred some things about and created the filth.

Time for a tank and fuel-line clean/flush - or maybe just replace the tank.

Show Me How To Live

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Name: Dave
Quote:
There was something wrong with the Crank Angle Sensor / Crank Position Sensor (whatever it's called). Waiting on a replacement from Rocket Ind. which should be there on Monday. Not sure on the specifics, but it was worn/cracked/damaged or something.
Everything sounds plausible except that, only fuel injected cars have crank angle sensors to my knowledge