Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Name: Chris
WTB: 1971 Dodge Challenger

Hey everyone,
Thought this might be the right place to get some help finding my ideal car.

I'm on the search for
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- no rust / restored
- budget approx $45,000

Eventually I'd like to see the car in black & with a 440 motor but for the time being I'm looking for a straight body preferably with no bondo/body filler. Don't really care about matching numbers, so long as the car isn't shonky and I can register it.

Lookin something like this ! (below)

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 23-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Name: Russ
Good luck mate.

I will say you'll struggle to find one of those in Oz in the condition you want for that price. Especially with a 440 (numbers matching or not).

If it's possible, you might consider buying direct from the US. Much better chance of getting the car you want & at a better price than you'd ever pay locally - even after shipping costs & Govt. fees/taxes.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 23-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Name: shane
as Russ said good luck, check out these US dealers
www.rayskillmanclassiccars.com and www.duffys.com
they both have Challengers, not exactly as you want but who knows
Old 24-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Name: Jase
Send a message via MSN to chevval
although not a 71....but out of interest for you
http://www.geezers.com.au/saledetails.php?id=333
Old 24-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys,
Hi Graham, I contacted you a while ago in regards to your Challenger but it was a bit out of my budget.

I know I'll probably be looking at a car from the USA which realistically is what I should be doing. I had one car slip from my fingers at 30k usd but it was the first one I'd looked at and was fairly turned off by the full inspection I had done on it (although in retrospect it was probably a good buy). Another one was recently sold with a 340 in black, fully restored.
I guess its the case of waiting for something like that then jumping on it before anyone else in the world can haha

I guess if its coming from the states I'm looking at around $30-35k as a purchase price + import etc. Even if its a different colour I guess a decent respray shouldn't be more than $10k?

Thanks for your help guys, any push in the right direction is much appreciated.
Old 24-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevval View Post
although not a 71....but out of interest for you
http://www.geezers.com.au/saledetails.php?id=333
Anything you may buy from here check it out really really thoroughly.
Old 25-04-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy View Post
Anything you may buy from here check it out really really thoroughly.
Bad experience with them ?
I'll probably end up importing from the states as cars seem to be cheaper.

Graham, how did you end up importing the car, through a service or did you do it all yourself?
Old 25-04-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm not sure of bad experiences with Geezer, but I do know that they are very much on the higher end of asking prices. Their prices can/do include rego etc, so it has its benefits of being able to inspect in person and drive away - but if you have patience you can quite easily save more than a few bucks.

Show Me How To Live

Old 26-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Yeah I've never been inclined to buy from them - they've always seemed about 10k more than what they should be asking for

Currently looking at this, he wants 35k for it -
All work was done 3 years ago and is supposedly stored in heated garage

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 26-04-2011, 07:02 PM

Name: shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlad View Post
Yeah I've never been inclined to buy from them - they've always seemed about 10k more than what they should be asking for

Be sure to get a thorough inspection done on anything from the eastern states of USA
Old 26-04-2011, 09:12 PM

A wise man once told me be very wary of buying a car from a company that has a panel shop attached. I have had a camaro up on my hoist and I'll just put it nicely. In no way in the world would this thing pass any roadworthy let alone pass an lo2, which got sold and issued from......I'll give you one guess. There is also another camaro here that after finding one little bubble new quarters and a lot of work was required. Then there was another camaro owner here that bought a 502 that lasted 80ks and had to fight tooth and nail to even get a pittance back, this one in particular was very close to my heart. I absolutely don't like bagging anyone and i really dont want to post this but i would hate it more if someone didnt let me know of these things. This is why i guess we all come to a forum to help each other out.These are all 100% proven things that I alone have had the misfortune of dealing with.

Last edited by chevguy; 26-04-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Old 26-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlad View Post

I'd actually steer clear of anything on eBay that's not in Aus.

If you're buying from overseas, you'll want something that isn't limited by a timed auction.

You need to allow yourself the chance at proper communication - especially if most of your communicating has to be done via email.

If you can make a phone call or 2 and get all the info and ask all the questions you need, it'll save time - but once you factor in timezones and weird work hours etc, it's just not a possibility for everyone.

Plus you need to organise an inspection, have them travel and do it, return, send you the info etc. That costs money and takes time. You don't want to pay $500 for an inspection only to have the auction end and the car sold to someone else before they get there.

Stick to Cars-Online, Auto Trader, Hemmings, Old Ride etc.

eBay is useful, but it's more suited to people that already have a network in place and have things happen at the drop of a hat.

Show Me How To Live

Old 27-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy View Post
A wise man once told me be very wary of buying a car from a company that has a panel shop attached. I have had a camaro up on my hoist and I'll just put it nicely. In no way in the world would this thing pass any roadworthy let alone pass an lo2, which got sold and issued from......I'll give you one guess. There is also another camaro here that after finding one little bubble new quarters and a lot of work was required. Then there was another camaro owner here that bought a 502 that lasted 80ks and had to fight tooth and nail to even get a pittance back, this one in particular was very close to my heart. I absolutely don't like bagging anyone and i really dont want to post this but i would hate it more if someone didnt let me know of these things. This is why i guess we all come to a forum to help each other out.These are all 100% proven things that I alone have had the misfortune of dealing with.
I'm guessing you are referring to Geezers?
Thanks for your heads up

Graham,
I wouldn't dare buy a car from overseas without paying for a full inspection on the thing.
I won't bother buying under timed auction either ... but I'd made contact and will be willing to have it inspected if it doesn't sell at auction.
Cars online seems pretty good

Just getting fairly impatient with what I'm looking at after looking for three or so years. Just want a 71 with a relatively clean body for around 30-35k in the usa- I know they exist, it's just a bitch to find it.
Old 27-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Ah ... who's Graham?

Name's Russ, mate

You'll get there. If you're dead-set it must be black then it will take time - but if the condition of the vehicle takes precidence over colour and engine option, then you'll have no trouvle at all.

Best thing about '71's is that the 340 engine was a standard option and a lot more common than in 1970, and you could get them with a Shaker Hood. Awesome!

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Also, since you're in Sydney, pop down and have a chat to Mick at US Muscle Cars Australia. He might be able to help out with the locating, and he can also organise everything from the inspection to importing etc.

Show Me How To Live

Old 27-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Name: Mark
Hey Elder I bought my camaro through cars online and used there inspection company as well, spoke to the owner a fair bit agreed to a price after the inspection, all went smooth no pressure, unlike on e bay with timed auctions can sometimes feel pressured and no time to get the car inspected before you buy.