Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20-07-2015, 06:33 PM

Name: Dave
Cool RHD Camaro wanted for Restmod

Hi All,
New to this site and also new to Camaros or US cars in general! Im hoping to buy/build a 67-69 Camaro to use as my daily drive. I am looking for a Camaro between 67-69 that is already converted to RHD as the conversion can be dam expensive and the plan would be to gradually build the car as a restomod adding many new car features such as Disc brakes, electrics, posibly some suspension changes to improve handling and maybe even a crate motor so it would run on unleaded fuel through injection.
I would luv to hear from people who have ideas on this and the practicalities of using one of these cars as my daily drive! Suggestions on what to change for both safety, reliability , handling etc.
Also an indications of what sort of costs im in for with things like having a new motor supplied and fitted, new interior/seats etc.
Thanks for any suggestion and or advice - PS if anyone knows of a likely car in WA please let me know

thanks

Dave

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 20-07-2015, 07:37 PM

Name: Chris
Welcome Dave

Why RHD ? I know you'll say it's a daily drive, but, there a few of us on here that daily drive cars this old and older, all LHD.

I drive a 61 Buick, way bigger than my 68 Camaro. I did over 25,000 Ks in it last year and I am in and out of Melb city car parks each and every day.

The only thing I did was install power windows so when I pull up to a ticket booth to raise a boom gate I use my pickstick to grab the ticket (gets plenty of laughs). Other than that, there is zero difference between LHD and right hand drive, other than you are way closer to the hot chicks on the foot path.

My pickstick. $18 at bunnings

Old 20-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Name: Jim
Another Left hook everyday guy here.....why does it have to be RHD

Quote:
there is zero difference between LHD and right hand drive, other than you are way closer to the hot chicks on the foot path.
^^^^^

PS: are you in WA or Central SA
Old 20-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Name: graham
cost wise 30k for a start and from 50k to 100k to build, or more if you want to go to town. lol.
1967 Pontiac Firebird-home built 470 Pontiac-turbo 400-3500 conv-9inch 3:55 - 11:06 @ 125:10 mph.
Old 20-07-2015, 10:42 PM

Name: Justin
Hi Dave, welcome to US Muscle, lots of experience and opinions to draw from on here.
LHD would be a lot easier to start from, as RHD are quite thin on the ground, but go with whatever you desire otherwise you won't be happy afterwards -
I came across my RHD camaro many many years ago, and spent a lot of cash correcting a poor conversion (but happy it's done right)
Be prepared to pay a lot for a ground up build, especially RHD because off the shelf is 99% LHD, naturally,But if you have time then it'll be fine
There's a big camaro crew here in the west so you'll have a good support no matter what you wanna do - classic, pro-touring or otherwise
Old 21-07-2015, 06:23 AM

Name: Peter
A first Gen as a daily driver, cant see happening
Old 21-07-2015, 06:47 AM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
Fit a good immobilzer and a tracking GPS for when it goes missing ..if.you're going to park it anywhere.

Cheap RHD conversions are ultimately expensive and full of head-fxcks.
Unless you're willing to spend the well-justified-cash on a good RHD converted car or a conversion, leave it left.
Old 21-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Dave, I'm another LHD daily driver. I've had my car for a little over 13 years and I've travelled 220,000 miles in it. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered with a RHD converted car. Whilst I live in Wollongong, I frequently drive in Sydney and have no issues. In fact, if I was buying a $1500 hack and it was LHD, it wouldn't bother me.

A lot of people new to the hobby want a RHD converted car assuming it will be just as good as it was in LHD, just with the steering on the right. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, this just doesn't happen. There can be a lot of 'near enough is good enough' in the conversion and in the 34 years I've been in the hobby, I've seen a lot of guys get out because they're tired of pouring more coin into trying to fix the RHD conversion.

Before my current ride, I owned a whole bunch of converted cars (which were all used as daily transport), and had to fix something in the conversion on everyone of them. No converted car I've owned has ever been right.

Having said that, it's your coin and your car. Go with what suits you.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69coupe View Post
Well, I drove a '68 Firebird every day for 10 years...
Old 23-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Currently own my 2nd first gen camaro both converted to RHD, no problems or complaints. If done correctly can drive like a factory car.
Old 23-07-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro454 View Post
Currently own my 2nd first gen camaro both converted to RHD, no problems or complaints. If done correctly can drive like a factory car.
Like you say, "if". Whereas, ALL the LHD cars are done correctly.
Old 24-07-2015, 09:23 AM

Name: Bazil
Another vote for keeping with LHD. Once you've had a few drives it seems normal and you don't even think about it. All parts are readily available for a Camaro the way it was made but once its RHD it complicates parts sourcing such as Steering, Exhaust headers and brake components in the engine bay.
Also dash and console interior parts to consider. There are a clever few on here who have done some amazing RHD conversions themselves but its all time and money.
Like Steve said, if your going to park in public everyday get the best anti theft devices fitted as some Gonk is bound to want it as much as you. And most people out there wont give a S#%t about opening a door onto your paintwork either. If I had one for a daily I would make it more of a rat looking car so I wouldn't be to worried about the paintwork.
Old 28-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Name: Dave
Hey thanks for all the replies! I see most don't understand why I want RHD and to be honest Im assuming things would be painfull with a LHD having not actually trying one out! Issues I have heard include the carpark situation but realistically I don't use them that much, fast food - but use that even less probably never if my kids are not in the car, passing - as a daily drive around town I guess this does happen that often so maybe I should go for a drive and actually try it out! OK Im in Perth as one person asked if I was WA or SA, back to the practicality of the daily drive - I have heard you are more likely to get pulled over? etc, sounds like the cars are targets for theft but I would assume a good quality Security system would sort this, it will be garaged at night! So how about a few other questions like - fix up an older motor or drop a crate motor in - is this as easy and reasonably priced as it sounds? Re-doing upolstry probably with new full height style seats - realistic, expensive? upgrade all brakes and suspension - expensive? appreciate all of your opinions so thanks

Dave
Old 28-07-2015, 05:34 PM

Name: Frank
You won't get pulled up more for LHD ... I have been pulled once for Permit/Rego check in 8 years.

I would vote crate motor unless you have something rare and you want to keep original/matching numbers etc.

Expensive ? ... everything is more expensive than you think !

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Old 28-07-2015, 06:26 PM

over 40,000 miles daily drive in going on 3 years in a car that looks and sits low, never once been pulled over.

I'm in and out of multi-level stack em and rack em car parks every day. That ain't fun in a 5.7 long land yacht.

Fast Food I just park it and walk in

Security, I have 2 kill switches

I did drop in a crate, but can honestly say in almost 3 years of driving I've had only a few minor issues. A uni went, 1 flat tyre, spun the pulley of the alternator. All minor, all easily fixed, otherwise faultless.
Old 28-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Name: graham
as frank said, expensive, everything is more expensive than you think.

i under estimated just about everything i ever did, so now i just double what i think it will cost & sometimes it comes in under budget, only sometimes though..
1967 Pontiac Firebird-home built 470 Pontiac-turbo 400-3500 conv-9inch 3:55 - 11:06 @ 125:10 mph.