Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Name: Luke
Crazy Floor Heat

Hi Guys,

I have just got my '69 back together and was running a test on the cooling system on the weekend (Mostly @ idle with some intermittent variation in the revs over around a 20min period) and I am happy to say it stays very cool...BUT the issue I have is with the amount of radiant heat being transferred through the floor....

The main area that is heating up is the floor and tunnel sections on both sides towards the front of the trans tunnel. I assume that this has always been a problem in this car as this area had several layers of fatmat baked on when I was cleaning the floors up.

I have had plenty of older cars (all with quite serious engine work) but have never had a floor heated like this! I touched the dynamat and nearly burnt my hand it was that hot, the floor was hotter than the radiator!!

I need to get the car back off the ground to have a proper look however my guess is that it is coming from the exhaust area where the collectors join to the the pipes as its pretty close to the floor but isn't touching....I am thinking the solution for now is to fit some heat shield/guard around that area but exhaust temp that high isn't normal and I think there is more to the issue and want to sort it properly, could possibly be a tuning issue?

Im keen to get peoples thoughts? What have others have experienced? do your floors heat up at all?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 16-03-2016, 08:41 PM

Check your timing first up bud. I think it's badly retarded timing that can have high exhaust temps? From memory my floor got hot but nowhere near what your saying.
Old 16-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Name: Kev
As Ken said check your tune, fit some heat shields and you may need to heat wrap your exhaust at the offending areas.
Old 16-03-2016, 11:14 PM

Name: Luke
Yeh that's what I was thinking, the only thing throwing me off that is the fact it's running a stock EFI crate motor with just over 3000 miles on it

It's factory GM fuel injection setup running a MEFI4a computer which are known for running a bit rich and they run a tiny TB from factory so the combination may be responsible for this issue, the O2 sensor could be having issues as well....unfortunatly without the MEFI-Burn software I can't see what's happening and can't mod the tune either :/

I do have a new throttle body and Holly HP EFI2 set up which will get installed after it is licensed that may solve the problem...until then the heat shield looks like the way to go
Old 17-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Had a big block 69 that had similar very hot floor issues - right at the trans tunnel area where your right foot would rest. What made a massive improvement was ceramic coated headers and a couple pieces of heat shielding plate I got off a commodore from memory that I bent up and welded to the floor/tunnel with opening at both ends creating a couple mm air gap right where the header flanges meets the exhaust pipe.
Old 17-03-2016, 10:26 AM

Name: Steve
Dynamat is not the right stuff for blocking heat and sound transfer. Dynamat is primarily a panel vibration deadener.

Dynaliner is the best, and Dynapad is also good with an additional acoustic barrier. Both can be placed on top of Dynamat.

As for high exhaust heat, check your ignition timing and make sure you have plenty of initial ignition advance, as lighting the fire late puts a lot of heat into your exhaust system.
Even with my 262/272.050" cam with f/all vacuum at idle (5in/Hg), I have fitted as vac advance dizzy and immediately noticed a cooler running and better idle, as well as improved fuel economy. A little fooling around to get right but well worth it.
Do you have a vac advance dizzy?
Old 18-03-2016, 03:16 PM

Name: Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350chev View Post
What made a massive improvement was ceramic coated headers and a couple pieces of heat shielding plate
I was going to say; could your exhausts have been modified and set too close to the floor pan?

s

http://www.reverbnation.com/LYCANTHIA
Old 23-03-2016, 08:52 AM

Name: Justin
Are your pipes coated or wrapped?
Do they run close to the floor?
I get a bit of heat (understatement) but have big, bare pipes and also run close to the floor .. am wrapping them this weekend, will let you know if it makes much difference
Ideally coating seems to be the popular option, but who has that sort of time / money these days
Old 24-03-2016, 02:46 PM

Name: Andy
My floor always got very hot as my headers are real close to the floor but I prefer the ground clearance. RHD car and in summer with a bit of traffic idling I could not leave my left bare foot in the 'normal' spot. In fact the headlight dipper button would almost burn me. The carpet however had nothing under it. When I changed my carpet out and installed heat shield the wiring to the headlight dipper had melted and stuck to the floor. Must have come within a poofteenth of shorting.
Old 24-03-2016, 03:07 PM

Mufflers and exhaust tubing that are close to the floor or fuel lines etc, I have shielded with SheetHot. Works pretty good.

Old 24-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Mufflers and exhaust tubing that are close to the floor or fuel lines etc, I have shielded with SheetHot. Works pretty good.
Is there supposed to be an air gap between the shield and the muffler?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 24-03-2016, 07:25 PM

Not mandatory, but any air gap you can get is a bonus. As much as possible in all situations.
In this case and many others, there ain't much choice.. ..at least the convoluted impressions on the SheetHot provide some gap.

http://www.dciperformance.com.au/pro...egory:SheetHot

This is from the XT100 spec sheet.. It's not hard to see how much this might help even in a poor application.
Thermal Performance (Static)
Temperature Before (C)

Temperature After (C)
Old 24-03-2016, 08:47 PM

Pretty good improvement.......and Aussie gear too

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars

Last edited by Nev68; 24-03-2016 at 08:49 PM..
Old 24-03-2016, 08:58 PM

Name: Sean
Where did you get the DCI stuff Steve? Direct from them?
Old 25-03-2016, 07:43 AM

Bursons sell it but VPW have the best price from memory..