Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 25-07-2018, 05:30 PM

12 Bolt Diff rebuild....1968 Camaro

Hi guys,

Need to get some guidance....

My car has not been on the road since I have owned it.

Finally got it to stage where I can drive it between places to have some work done. Noticed a shocking noise coming from the rear. Seems like the diff, but was not sure if it was auto related (has a 700r4 installed) - so figured it could be anything from auto, to drive shaft length issues or diff.

All beyond my skills to repair - so decided to drop the car it into a diff shop in my area. Had decent google reviews, so assumed it would be ok.

Given I did not know what was wrong with it, told the diff guy to drive it and let me know.

So he reckons the diff is not right and maybe noisy wheel bearings to boot. So I ok him to pull it off, open it up and let me know what was happening.

Anyway - cut a long story short - previous owner (or other) has done some dodgy stuff, diff is pretty stuffed with bad wear all over.

So I am going need -
New axles
Bearing
Gear ratios
LSD need bits
etc etc

So basically a full reco, cleaning - the whole lot.

About the only consumable being re-used is the gear Housing.

Now this diff guy is wanting to charge me $2800 to put it all back together.

So - I make some calls and other guys are saying they do full reco's for for 12 bolts for under $2K, including the axles - everything.

My guy is saying he warranties everything, quality work etc etc, but yeah - I think he might be trying to rip me off. Either that or the other two shops I called are quoting cheap on the phone and have not included everything (potentially not included labor pulling the diff off/putting it back on). Dunno.

I am not wanting to be unfair to this guy who is working on my car, but not sure.

Can you guys please provide some guidance on what you would expect to pay???

Diff is going to be a stock 12 bolt with 3.55 ratio - nothing custom. Is $2800 for removal, rebuild, re-install reasonable?

Been lucky with my cars - never needed a rebuilt diff before, so dunno if this guy is taking advantage....

Feel like he might be cause my car is on his hoist with the diff out.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 25-07-2018, 06:13 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
So I am going need -
New axles
Bearing
Gear ratios
LSD need bits
etc etc

Is $2800 for removal, rebuild, re-install reasonable?
Yes, just pay the man and be thankful you got away with it for $2800.
Old 25-07-2018, 09:45 PM

Name: Darren
Really depends on what is going into it in terms of parts, but $2800 with everything new is probably in the ball park.
Old 26-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys - makes me feel a little more comfortable with where this is going.
Old 26-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Name: Frank
Seems reasonable. I got quoted about $500 in labour to install new ring gear and pinion , bearings etc. and wheel bearings. I am supplying ALL the parts. They're supplying only the gear fluid etc.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Old 26-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Hi guys,

Just to clarify....

Will be $2960.00 total.

New bearings (not the wheel bearings), New pinion, resetting the LSD (he said it was barely functioning as it was), clutches were all ok, but nothing in the diff was "set" or shimmed or aligned properly. Which was why it is stuffed.

He re-using my carrier, using the same LSD, same clutches, installing the new pinion, new axles and rebuilding it all so it works properly.

Essentially $1900 for the diff setup.
$380 in labour getting the diff on and off the car.
Plus another $350 I need to pay for each axle (so $700 total on axles - cheapest I could find in local stock).

Honestly feel I am paying the top-end for this, but if you guys are saying it is in the ball park - I am rolling with it.

He said 12 months warranty or 20,000kms on his work as well.

Said he will stand by his work, but they all say that until something goes wrong....then they avoid your calls.

Ah well. Hopefully this guy proves me wrong.....
Old 26-07-2018, 02:19 PM

When you put it that way, $1900 seems a lot for labour. Should be about $100 or so an hour. Someone who knows what they are doing should do that in a day easy. I thought it was pretty much all new parts except for the housing.

Old 26-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Yeah - I had mis-understood some of what he said. So I think my original assessment of this guy was accurate. He is taking advantage.

LSD and clutches were ok, but they were not set properly.
He said carrier looked ok and should be fine if I was not racing the car or anything. Which I'm not. So it stays as well.

New bearings, sleeves, pinion gears and axles.

He will clean everything all schmick and set everything in the diff the way it should have been in the first place.

1 day for a diff - I agree. So shop rate of $100 would be $800 for the day.
$450 for the pinion set
$200 for bearings or whatever else he might need.
$700 for the axles.

That is around $2K....not $2900.

Definitely does not seem right to me, but I am committed now.

Thought about getting him to put the axle back on as is and pushing the car outta there, but would have to hire a trailer $$, take time off work $$ etc. And no doubt I would have to get the car outta there solo while this guy watches over his cuppa tea.

I'm happy to pay fair money for fair work....always. Even happy to pay a little more if I really feel I am getting solid work.

Not feeling good about this....
Old 26-07-2018, 04:03 PM

I need to still get my parts fitted and I am not confident setting up the diff. 12-bolt also.

I will probably go with Diff King who quoted me around $500.

I would be interested in who this guy is - maybe after he has done the work - he should give you an itemised invoice. Might be too early to name and shame but it does seem a little expensive.

Old 26-07-2018, 05:15 PM

Yeah absolutely. Will name and shame if it is warranted.

Will share the details once i have an invoice and can clarify it all for those who are interested.

The other two quotes I had (over the phone) - were for $2K.

If it helps - this other guy had good reviews on aussie V8 forum and was nice on the phone:
https://www.mobilediffrepairs.com/

This guy also gave me a bit of time on the phone:
https://www.centraldiffs.com.au/contact/

Both came in around the same price (verbal quote $2K for full 12bolt rebuild)...so given that was 2 out of 2 for $2K - I am tipping they are both reasonably honest.

Unlike my current diff guy...
Old 26-07-2018, 05:38 PM

Next time, rebuild it yourself and save a packet

It amazes me that guys who admit it's "All beyond my skills to repair", yet know when they're getting rolled
Old 26-07-2018, 07:18 PM

There is more to the story, given your comments Rodent - feel like I had better share it.

Clearly I had no idea exactly what the issue was before dropping it into this autotrans/diff shop. If I had - would have done more research before I left it there.

I knew it was one of three things....

If you can troubleshoot a 700R4, shorten and balance a driveshaft and rebuild a 12bolt diff - then you are very fortunate. I definitely cannot do those things, but I can understand what is required and I learn as I go.

Some common sense and the internet is a wonderful thing. So is the telephone. ; )

I did call a guy about 18 months ago asking diff questions and could have sworn he said about $1800 for a rebuild. So after this guy pulls my diff off the car and quotes me $2900 - almost fell off my chair. I would also point out - he also could have looked the diff on the car...pulled the axles out to view the wear - still not sure why he took it all off. First strike.

I then made some calls and two shops said exactly the same thing. I asked them specific questions and they both said will depend on the cost of parts, but around $2K is pretty accurate for a 12bolt. Second Strike.

I respect those who have skills and knowledge that I don't and I appreciate I need to pay for them. I am clearly aware I do NOT know everything. So I am happy to pay. Honestly I am - I don't expect a trade to work for nothing either. That said - I AM entitled to ask what I am getting for my money though.

When I did question the price, I was very polite about it and my diff guy got very agitated and very defensive - very quickly. Told me if I did not like it - to come pickup the diff and get the car outta his shop (like i can do that with the diff on his bench and my car on his hoist).

I tried to calmly explain that I called two shops who gave me the same price and was reasonable of me to ask why I am paying $900+ more through his shop, for what potentially appeared to be less parts.

He did not explain why, did not try to justify the price, or lower the price - just said he can't comment on what other shops choose to quote for their work. That was his response.

3rd Strike....I'm suss on him now.

I then jumped on the forum asking if I was being unreasonable about the quote. Was told it was ok - so swallowed my suspicions and ran with it.

Not blaming anyone here. Did not really give you guys the full info. I should have known more about the potential costs and confirmed worst case scenarios before taking it into the shop. Was my choice in the end, although not much of a choice given my car had no rear wheels and I could not drive it out of his shop.

So Rodent - if I take into account the above....apply come common sense.....then add up the limited parts he is replacing at retail prices, then include a premium shop rate for a full day of work and then add some more $$ and I am still short $900+ bucks v's two other shops verbal quotes - then yeah - I think a guy who cannot repairs diffs is justified making a comment about the quote.

If it feels like I am getting rolled, looks like I am getting rolled, smells like I am getting rolled.....3 strikes....chances are...I am getting rolled.

Either that or his shop rate is higher than my orthopedic surgeon. Which is possible I suppose.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:20 PM

Sounds like you might be getting a new 12 bolt posi for $2900. I have heard worse in the price department.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 26-07-2018, 07:33 PM

If it stops making that god-awful noise - will probably be happy regardless.

No-one likes being taken advantage of though. I was just having a whinge.

Will wait to get the itemised invoice before commenting further.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

If I am completely honest - I am screwed anyway. $2000 or $2900 - the $900 in change will make no difference to my wife....

She is gonna go nuts regardless when it pops up on the mastercard.

One battle at a time.... ; )
Old 26-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
She is gonna go nuts regardless when it pops up on the mastercard.

One battle at a time.... ; )
After she divorces you and takes all your 5hit, choose better next time