Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 31-08-2017, 09:18 PM

Name: Brenton
67 "Flame Impala" rebulid

So years ago I did a quick and not that flash build of a rusty EH and ever since I sold it I've wanted another project and another cruiser. I didn't have too many prerequisites but it had to be as rust free as possible, complete and whatever i viewed as cool at the time As it turned out it would take me close to a decade of casual looking around to find something that fit the bill.

Long story short a good mate of mine called me a few months ago saying he'd found the perfect project, a fire damaged 67 Impala SS that neither he nor the previous owner had the space or time to complete.

"Don't worry Mate, the fires been put out" he says. Perfect .

The "Flame Impala" salvage/build began a few weeks later.

Once it was home pulling apart all the burnt and melted chow started, the state our shed ended up in was quite the sight. For whatever reason I quite enjoyed pulling it apart and fortunately the more I pulled it apart the more impressed I was with just how solid this car is. Every floor pan, sill, drain hole as well as the firewall, screen surround and boot floor was rust free and clean as. happy happy so far

As the pics show she was a bit of a mess as far as the engine bay and dash goes but surprisingly the panels weren't severely damaged, with the exception of the bonnet. The firewall, cowl panel and inner guards are still straight but there is some minor buckling on the tops of the fenders, hopefully nothing that cant be beaten out.

I'm still not exactly sure what the big picture plan is for the old girl, but for now its a great starting point for a clean cruiser. So I guess this starts by build thread, it will be pic heavy I hope and ill try and update it as often as I can.

Cheers for reading.

Last edited by rodent; 01-09-2017 at 05:47 AM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 31-08-2017, 10:51 PM

Name: Steve
All of your Photobucket pics not showing.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:48 PM

Name: Kev
Looking forward to this build thread.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:20 PM

Name: Russ
Sweet.

I vote LS swap

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder View Post
Looking forward to this build thread.
Me too mate, just hope i can get a bit of time to keep working on it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Sweet.

I vote LS swap
I vote LS swap too

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Now that the car is all stripped out its time to ship it off to the blasters to rid ourselves of all the surface rust and a few layers of paint.

I ended up doing this in 2 stages so I could try and do as much of this as I possible and save a bit of cash, while still getting the best end product. So first we sent the doors, inner guards and rad support parts, as soon as they were blasted i picked them up and brought them home to put them in epoxy primer.

After that it was time to send the body in, it travelled in with the front fenders and this time the guys at the blasters put the parts in primer for me. It would have been difficult to get it there and home with enough day left to paint it so this seemed like the best option. So far I'm pretty stoked

Anyway so thats pretty much where we are at so far. Now I get the play the waiting game for a bunch of parts to turn up from the states, I'm assuming I'll get quite good good at waiting for parts or the cash to afford them over the next few months .

Has anyone got any recommendations of who to use and not to use as far as aftermarket suppliers go? So far I've only ordered bits off ebay and haven't ventured into the Classic Industries/Impala Bobs domains.

Also if anyone has or knows of a bonnet thats in decent condition I would be keen to check t out.

Last edited by rodent; 02-09-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Name: Marc
argh photobucket.......
Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 PM

You need to keep/add " ~original " to the end of your image links for them to work. Should be put immediately after .jpg. So the end of the image linke should read .jpg~original

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by rodent; 02-09-2017 at 06:33 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
You need to keep/add " ~original " to the end of your image links for them to work. Should be put immediately after .jpg. So the end of the image linke should read .jpg~original
I added that to the first post, but I can see these ones without it

Sorry about the "edit" on your post Russ, I clicked "edit" instead of "reply"
Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post

They're all working for me now.

Show Me How To Live

Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post

Trap for young players right there... thanks for adding it in for me whoever that was, I'll remember for next time.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brenton_ View Post
Has anyone got any recommendations of who to use and not to use as far as aftermarket suppliers go? So far I've only ordered bits off ebay and haven't ventured into the Classic Industries/Impala Bobs domains.
When scouring sites for parts, do yourself a favour and send an email regarding stock before placing an order.

I did that, and I found Impala Bob's was one of the worst. Everything was on back-order. They're also one of those sites that, regardless of how long they've been operating and selling a part for, they still don't have a single photo for 50% of their stock. I avoid those type sites like the plague.

Classic Industries wasn't much different - and they had ridiculously excessive shipping & handling costs.

For the most part, I have purchased every aftermarket part I wanted for my car from eBay, Amazon, Summit, and Jegs. Bare in mind, all but a few of the parts are all from the same manufacturer. So regardless of where you purchase it from, chances are you'll be getting the exact same part.

You'll also find that, specifically with the 67 Impala, it is the red-headed step child of the Impala family - most of the stuff you want isn't reproduced, so buying used or NOS parts on eBay will be your only real option.

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; 02-09-2017 at 07:58 PM..
Old 18-09-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
When scouring sites for parts, do yourself a favour and send an email regarding stock before placing an order.

I did that, and I found Impala Bob's was one of the worst. Everything was on back-order. They're also one of those sites that, regardless of how long they've been operating and selling a part for, they still don't have a single photo for 50% of their stock. I avoid those type sites like the plague.

Classic Industries wasn't much different - and they had ridiculously excessive shipping & handling costs.

For the most part, I have purchased every aftermarket part I wanted for my car from eBay, Amazon, Summit, and Jegs. Bare in mind, all but a few of the parts are all from the same manufacturer. So regardless of where you purchase it from, chances are you'll be getting the exact same part.

You'll also find that, specifically with the 67 Impala, it is the red-headed step child of the Impala family - most of the stuff you want isn't reproduced, so buying used or NOS parts on eBay will be your only real option.

Cheers for the feedback Russ, I'm starting to see the red headed step child side of the repo parts, some things seem impossible to find but i guess ill find it all over time.
Old 18-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Fingers crossed the pics work this time

Got some much needed shed time over the weekend so it was time to get the front end all pulled apart and painted... Man how much fun are 50 year old ball joints the first one popped so easily I thought I was in for an easy afternoon, but no, the other 3 refused to budge no matter what I used. So we got kind of dodgy and pulled the upper control arm, spindle and lower control arm out as a unit and took to the ball joints with a grinder... Looks like its future Brenton's problem to get whats left of them out as I need to use the stock spindles.

The second awesome job was cleaning the chassis rails and prepping them for paint, I got a product for treating and sealing surface rusted areas (which I tested on another couple of less conspicuous parts) called Rust Conqueror that is great for doing exactly that. happy days. The two pac primer goes over it very nicely as well

So I wanted to just paint the rails first to get a bit of practice with the gun, I have put the other blasted parts in etch primer but the finish of that wasn't exactly important. The downside of that is now I cant move the car, which sucks because i still need to paint the firewall and dash. But on the plus side I have a shed full of parts to make it roll again. My tubular control arms and front disk brake conversion showed up but I'm still waiting for the rest of the bushes for the front, meanwhile eBay's GSP strikes again and I have no idea where they are or when they'll get here

So far I'm happy with how is going although I really wish I left it rolling now so I could paint the dash. I'm not very keen on doing it in the shed as it a little dusty in there but I'll see how the chassis rails look tomorrow and figure it out then.

Now off to scrub paint off my fingers and out of my beard