Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 27-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Gambit's Avatar
Gambit Gambit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hunter valley
Posts: 527
Name: Nathan
Just curious where the $1900 in Labour was? I seen he said $380 or something for labour to remove/refit the diff.
Did you get a written quote from the other guys to compare?
Reply With Quote


Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
  #17  
Old 27-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Frank351's Avatar
Frank351 Frank351 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hampton
Posts: 2,712
Name: Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
Next time, rebuild it yourself and save a packet

It amazes me that guys who admit it's "All beyond my skills to repair", yet know when they're getting rolled
Jim, I've swapped engines , trans , tailshafts etc. but not confident to do mine. Would rather pay someone $500 than screw the ring and pinion due to incorrect setup. Have watched videos - it doesn't seem to hard but happy to pay you to help me do it if you like.
__________________
Cheers,
Frank.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 27-07-2018, 06:18 PM
rodent's Avatar
rodent rodent is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunbury
Posts: 3,999
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank351 View Post
Jim, I've swapped engines , trans , tailshafts etc. but not confident to do mine. Would rather pay someone $500 than screw the ring and pinion due to incorrect setup. Have watched videos - it doesn't seem to hard but happy to pay you to help me do it if you like.
Love to help Frank, but that's the day I'm having my hair done
__________________
An unbreakable toy, is useful for breaking other toys.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Frank351's Avatar
Frank351 Frank351 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hampton
Posts: 2,712
Name: Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
Love to help Frank, but that's the day I'm having my hair done
At least you have hair ! LOL
__________________
Cheers,
Frank.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28-07-2018, 08:39 PM
rodent's Avatar
rodent rodent is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunbury
Posts: 3,999
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank351 View Post
At least you have hair ! LOL
Touche
__________________
An unbreakable toy, is useful for breaking other toys.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 30-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Shan Shan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: VIC
Posts: 57
So $1900 to clean everything, replace pinion gears, redo axle bearing/sleeves, rebuild and set everything right.

ON TOP OF that (so not included) are the axles and putting the diff back on the car.

So yeah - he is charging me for a build and charging me again to remove and re-fit the diff housing.
Axles also not in that $1900.

From what I can tell, he should have included the axle replacement in that $1900, but did not.

I'll ask for the itemised invoice before I collect my car....share the info with you all.

And no - did not get written quote from the other guys....this all happened a little more quickly than I would have liked. Did not get the chance to research this much.

Took it in so the guy could drive my car and check if it was the diff and before I knew it - he had the diff out and on the bench to "quote" me. Ah well.

Last edited by Shan; 30-07-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Shan Shan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: VIC
Posts: 57
Hi Guys,

Got the car back this morning. Left the invoice at home, but will go over it later and post.

Good news is I got to drive it for about 40min whilst I delivered it to the fella cutting out my rust a few suburbs away.

Other good news is the diff is better....but.....bad news is - at certain speeds on freeway as I discovered - diff is still a bit noisy.

It is a massive improvement over what it was, however there is still a bit of noise coming at certain speed (while under acceleration). Around 70km.

Coasting it goes quiet, accelerate it goes a little noisy at times.

I do not recall my 68 firebird (10 bolt) being this noisy - although I do not think I drove it down the freeway without the interior. Also got no idea what the gearing was on that car. Never had to touch any of my car diffs until now.

Car is completely stripped inside, so there is nothing to dull any road noise at the moment.

I appreciate some noise may be expected - read varied comments on the internet about what people put up with.

I am running 3.53 gears and is it definitely demonstrating noise at speed. That said - it is definitely a LOT better though, just not as quiet as I though $2800 would make it.

I thought it would be more quiet though??

What is acceptable noise for a 12bolt 3.53 geared rebuilt diff?

Could be wheel bearings are adding some noise, hard to tell. Normally wheel bearing just get noisier the faster you go.

This noise sounded different.

If you guys could provide some guidance on what noise should be "acceptable" on a 12bolt - would be grateful.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Frank351's Avatar
Frank351 Frank351 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hampton
Posts: 2,712
Name: Frank
This is gonna be really subjective. I don't recall you posting what your original ratio was but 3.55 is pretty short so everything is spinning faster for the same speed. Take your diff guy for a spin and see what he says. You need to try and distinguish road/engine noise from diff whine/noise.
__________________
Cheers,
Frank.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 PM
radman's Avatar
radman radman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: adelaide
Posts: 19
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Hi Guys,

Got the car back this morning. Left the invoice at home, but will go over it later and post.

Good news is I got to drive it for about 40min whilst I delivered it to the fella cutting out my rust a few suburbs away.

Other good news is the diff is better....but.....bad news is - at certain speeds on freeway as I discovered - diff is still a bit noisy.

It is a massive improvement over what it was, however there is still a bit of noise coming at certain speed (while under acceleration). Around 70km.

Coasting it goes quiet, accelerate it goes a little noisy at times.

I do not recall my 68 firebird (10 bolt) being this noisy - although I do not think I drove it down the freeway without the interior. Also got no idea what the gearing was on that car. Never had to touch any of my car diffs until now.

Car is completely stripped inside, so there is nothing to dull any road noise at the moment.

I appreciate some noise may be expected - read varied comments on the internet about what people put up with.

I am running 3.53 gears and is it definitely demonstrating noise at speed. That said - it is definitely a LOT better though, just not as quiet as I though $2800 would make it.

I thought it would be more quiet though??

What is acceptable noise for a 12bolt 3.53 geared rebuilt diff?

Could be wheel bearings are adding some noise, hard to tell. Normally wheel bearing just get noisier the faster you go.

This noise sounded different.

If you guys could provide some guidance on what noise should be "acceptable" on a 12bolt - would be grateful.
Shan,From your description of what has been done you still have your original crownwheel and pinion. As a 40 odd year old set of gears, even with them setup correctly, you would expect some prior wear hence noise.Its unlikely to be wheel bearings as a 12 bolt has rollers not tapered bearings running directly on your new axles.As others have suggested ask Diff specialist that performed the work to road test the vehicle and advise you if it is an acceptable noise level.Cheers,Greg
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Shan Shan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: VIC
Posts: 57
Hi Guys - pinion gears were changed actually.
Went from 3.73 (original) to 3.53 as I understood 3.73 could be noisier.

Point taken about the wheel bearings - quite right. Axle does have sleeves - not bearings - which were replaced along with the axles.

Fair comments though - noise can be quite subjective.
My concern is my diff guy will say it is normal...when it might not be.

Once the car comes back from rust guy - will organise a time to see the diff fella. See how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Geoff 4 Geoff 4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 243
Name: Geoff
Wheel brgs. Noise does not change from accel to decel to coasting.

Tyre noise also does not change under load, it is either ' there' or it isn't.

Worn crown wheels & pinions that are noisy. These can often be lapped to get rid of the noise. It takes real professionals & experience to do this.

Aftermarket gear sets. Some are noisy, because strength is traded for noise; some are meant for street use & should be quiet.

If you forked out $2800 for a diff rebuild you should have been informed beforehand if it was going to be noisy. I know I wouldn't have paid that amount to end up with a noisy rear end; I would have found another set of gears....or another shop.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Shan Shan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: VIC
Posts: 57
Yeah - righto.

Getting some rust cut out at the moment, but once that is done - will put in the passenger seat and take car back to shop so diff fella and I can drive together.

He at least agreed to do that when I texted him. See how it plays out.

Will be some weeks before I comment further on this one. will let you all know when it happens though.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger