Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20-04-2017, 02:59 PM

Ridetech II suspension on 68 Camaro - anyone engineered for VIC?

Hi Guys,

I did do a search on this, but could not find a definitive answer from my investigation on the forums.

I have an email inquiry with Airide (VIC suspension supplier) as well, but thought I would pick some brains here.

Now I know from my reading that peeps are running the Ridetech gear with no issues, but what I need to know for sure if anyone has actually engineered it in VIC. Seen some mention of NSW member going through the process on here, BUT the post never actually reached a conclusion on the matter that I could see.

So.....

Ridetech Coilover package (front and rear) in Victoria. Anyone run it past an engineer and is anyone using it legally?

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1967-1...m-level-2.html

I know people have added with going through the fuss, but personally, can't say I am keen to be involved in a serious bingle thru some other idiot on the road and have Aussie five-O staring at my non-engineered suspension package asking a lot of questions. Things get ugly very quickly in those situations.....

So yeah - want to keep it all legit.

Your assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Shan

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 20-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Name: Chris
Airbags or springs
Old 21-04-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Airbags or springs
Hi,

Sorry - I posted a link - maybe it was not working?

Was going for springs. Coilover front and rear.
Some welding required for some of the brackets on rear I believe.

I emailed an engineer as well, but I am tipping without handing over $$$ they are unlikely to provide me any free advice. Might be proved wrong.

I'll let everyone know where I get to though.

Advice in the meantime appreciated.

Cheers,
Shan
Old 22-04-2017, 07:44 PM

Sorry - maybe that link I included was not right.

Going for coilover on front and rear.

No airbags for me.

I have asked around. No response from air ride in bayswater VIC who sell ridetech gear. Emailed a couple of engineers with images and highlighted photos asking for general advice. No one seems to be keen to provide an opinion so far though.

Hope I can get some direction here.

Cheers fellas.
Old 22-04-2017, 09:56 PM

Shouldn't be an issue. Talk to the engineers. They are good guys and will point you in the right direction follow their guidance and they'll approve it
Old 24-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Thanks for that.

I take it no-one here has worked with a local engineer already familiar with this kit?

Don't want to re-invent the wheel if I do not have to. If an engineer has already looked at and approved the kit, would rather use them to avoid any issues.

Failing that, a recommendation for an engineer that was good to work with would be helpful. I do like working with referred sources where possible.

Cheers all.
Shan
Old 24-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Talk Torque in Eltham engineered my car. Excellent and knowledgable engineer. Give him a buzz. Mine has laser cut rear rails with custom 4 link rose bushes QA1 coil overs and 9" with discs and AME front clip fully custom rails, C5 vette R&P steering, C5 Vette discs and calipers again running QA1 coilovers. He engineered the whole thing no problems. Check out my build link, search Hellfire on here
Old 24-04-2017, 09:40 PM

Thanks heaps. Appreciate the referral.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Name: Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Thanks heaps. Appreciate the referral.
Just wondering how you went
Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Name: Mark
Try this guy his name is Taige and he helped me with some air bag work on my C-10 and liasoned with the engineer who did the mod plate for me. He's good to deal with too.
Mark.

https://www.modifiedrods.com/
Old 04-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Name: Jason
I was doing the same research into this issue last year.
I will also be running RideTech gear (front and back) in the '69 Camaro I'm building.

Like you ... I also want to ensure that my car is safe and 100% legal.

Thus far, I've only had email contact with one engineer by the name of Jean-Christophe Bonneville from http://www.bonneville.com.au/.

His response was that he'd already engineered a number of 'RideTech equipped' Camaro's and that it would be "not a problem".
Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Name: Frank
My car (70 Mustang) was engineered for the RSS coilover front and later model brakes (Ford disc, Holden calipers) in Vic. I can pass on my engineers details if you want.

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Old 16-04-2018, 06:09 PM

Hi guys,

This is an old thread (I started it last year), but I am finally going through the motions of this suspension upgrade. Thought I would resurrect it.

I have reached out to multiple engineers - including jean (mentioned above) and I will confirm the outcome of the process.

Frank351 - I know your comment is almost 12 month old, BUT for the sake of others maybe reading this - the RSS kit has already gone through local testing, so is generally pretty easy for engineer to approve.

The ridetech kit is not tested by the manufacturer as such to meet aussie standards, although I have no doubt it will meet such standards. US manufacturers build for US market, not ours, so do not bother going through all the testing approvals a local outfit like RSS has.

One engineer mentioned potentially needing to computer model spindles in order to run simulations for potential failure etc etc. Eeek. Don't think he will be getting my business....but anyway..

I will come back to this thread and let people know what the journey is like.

So far some of the engineers do not seem particularly enthused to get involved.

Hopefully at least one or two have already gone through the process on ridetech gear....so I do not have to re-invent the wheel.

Will keep on it though.

Cheers,
Shan
Old 16-04-2018, 11:30 PM

Name: Sean
dunno how closely VIC applies the Australia Wide VSB standards, but here is an extract that may help you

Quote:
Where change is made to the suspension or steering system design, the basic functional and construction requirements are provided as a guide for suitably qualified and experienced signatories when designing or certifying such modifications or conversions.
Each design should be fully documented, with drawings, calculations, procedural details, test results, wheel alignment specifications and any other data necessary to fully describe the vehicle modifications and should have a unique design number. The design document should contain:
 Details of all drawings needed to fully describe the full extent of the modification;
 Details of any special modification techniques, procedures or adjustments; and
 Details of any testing of components (e.g. X-rays of modified drag links) and performance (e.g. bump steer plots) with related acceptance criteria.
Ie. the Engineer needs to be happy the ridetech system meets the VSB criteria and the documentation satisfies the above criteria.

VSB14 section LS is what you're after. A bit of light reading here https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl.../vsb_ncop.aspx
Old 17-04-2018, 04:38 PM

Thanks Sean. Might leave that to the engineer to translate. Given I will be paying them $1500 or so - I'll leave it to the experts ; )

OK - so unfortunately Jean @ Bonneville is saying he no longer works on Camaro type vehicles. Which is disappointing.

Either way - he re-directed to another guy called Paul Bottomly - who works for Automotive Performance Solutions in Thomastown VIC.

Interesting to note, that another VASS engineer "who said he was too busy for that type of work" also re-directed me to Paul as well.

So two VASS engineers have pointed me to the same guy.

I have left various messages and emails with other VASS signatories who work in the light vehicle class and they are VERY hard to pin down.

Not all of them do site visits either - as I am learning.

This is getting much harder than I thought.