Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 28-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Name: Andy
Well...I finished the floor modifications but unfortunately the Minister for War deleted my photos off the camera and I now have the interior back in! I removed the brace and cut a slit down the the top of the tunnel about 8". Then cut perpendicular at each end down to near floor level. Opened up the tunnel and welded a strip back in down the top about 1-1/2" wide. Then patched up the rest. Luckily my console still just fits. I also had to pull the floor up where the speedo cable go's.

Measuring my new drive angles I had the trans at 5.5 deg and the diff at 3 deg (without temporary wedge plates). So I removed my temporary wedge plates and angle milled my lowering blocks 1 deg. This means my pinion is down 1.5 deg. I thought I would see how this go's as I can always cut some more angle.

I have again driven it briefly and it felt alright. However I didn't push it and kept the drive brief as the exhaust is now very close to solenoid and speedo cable. Speedo cable is also still on the floor even though I pulled it up a good 1/2". I am booked in with my exhaust guy in the morning to move the pipes and while they are off I will bash, I mean massage, the floor around the cable area some more. Then hopefully that will be it!

Last edited by 66FAIRLANE; 28-10-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 28-10-2011, 04:48 PM

Cool, there's alot more to fitting the GV than I thought.
Makes the T700 look a little bit better than I previously thought

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 28-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Name: Fausto
i have this in my camaro installed it 3 years ago love it its the best thing i did ti it i run 3.7 gears and in overdrive its like having 2.9 diff ratio.
Hey do you have any pick of the wiring for the manual/auto switch and the led lights i lost mine and need to rewire this part again just would be nice to have a copy before i tackle it

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

i have this in my camaro installed it 3 years ago love it its the best thing i did ti it i run 3.7 gears and in overdrive its like having 2.9 diff ratio.
Hey do you have any pick of the wiring for the manual/auto switch and the led lights i lost mine and need to rewire this part again just would be nice to have a copy before i tackle it
Old 28-10-2011, 07:22 PM

No probs. Will post later
Old 28-10-2011, 11:53 PM

Below is the quick install instruction sheet (better than the manual) and the wiring diagram.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Well the verdict is in. I fknloveit! Probably only done about 80Km in it but I really do like it. Feels like you are driving a 'real' car again. I haven't tried splitting any shifts yet as the button is yet to find a home. It does seem slow to shift in at slower speeds and I haven't really tried it yet flat out at 'go directly to jail' speeds but I imagine it would shift faster as pump pressure would be up. It does shift out instantly as they claim.

Auto mode: I have been mainly leaving it in this. You turn the unit on with the button and it engages at 40mph. It operates similar to modern trans, staying in this mode all the time, even after ignition off and a restart. It will disengage at 20mph as per earlier stated as it works off hydraulic pressure supplied by the trans oiutput shaft. Reach 40mph again and in it go's.

Manual mode: Basically this means you have to engage the unit with the button. You can engage it at any speed above 20mph for the reason above. It of course disengages itself below 20 mph and when you speed up it is up to you again when to engage it.

It really makes the car a hell of a lot more comfortable to be in. Even tooling along along at 70kmh. It is still a bit weird with the high stall as you don't notice the OD too much when flashing the converter during acceleration or going up hill etc. But it still does work very well and is extemely noticable on flat sections. I can now cruise at 80kmh just under 2000rpm depending on the grade.

I think it will work even better later when I remove 500rpm or more of converter but it is still a fine addition even with 3500+rpm flash.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Name: Steve
Sounds really good. I didn't know about their Auto-mode, and that's a great feature.
Glad you fknloveit!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Name: Greg
Talking with most competitors on Drag Week, the majority of them use these units. Some have even run their best 1/4 mile times and numbers using them. Larry Larson uses his to great advantage on the highway...I could not get a photo of him as he was generally cruising at 80 mph .

Greg
Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Name: Fausto
I told you youd like it and thanks for the diagramme
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Name: Terry
These and 4.3s on the list for next year. Credit card quaking already.

Old 20-05-2017, 01:23 PM

Name: Geoff
Andy, Very interesting thread. I'm about to put a Gear Vendor behind a twin turbo 351C/C6 in an Aussie ZD Fairlane and this thread has been valuable. I have looked at overdrive autos and the floor needs a massive hack and rebuild to fit one in. You made the comment in post 11 "The more expensive and harder to fit "shorty" option is starting to look good." Was that because it would have been easier to modify the floor pan further forward? I would assume that the floor pan in your US car would be different to the ZD as your tunnel looks really narrow.

What was the part number of the Gear Vendors kit you purchased and who/where did you purchase it from.

Geoff