Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM

I get sick when I start thinking that I will have to go through that process one day. Hope everything goes well and will be very interested in the outcome.

Our Father which art in heaven, Thanks you for our V8
Keep our muscle cars safe, from rust and overheating, And forgive those who drive hybrid cars, As we forgive those who drive Asian cars, And lead us not into vanity, But deliver us from collisions, For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory,
forever and ever.
Amen.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Name: Scott
I used Bill Malkoutzis in Eltham (0409 439 315) for my 1973 Firebird. VASS required to check compliance of appropriate Amber indicators front and rear, headlights pointing the RHD way and ADR seat belts - not much else, $1000... ish
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 PM

Name: luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by L88racer View Post
The elco had never been rego'd in Australia before. I just rang Vicroads and booked in a time for rego which was the Broadmeadows RTA.
When i rang to book in for rego they said to bring roadworthy and import approval, licence, and a reciept from who i bought it from Melbourne.
just dragging up some old info on VASS(aline) lucky bugger Rowan
Nice 1 , l@@ks like i'm taking my chances @ Broadie RTA

Last edited by skywalker; 01-02-2011 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: can't spell for S#$% after 1 beer
Old 16-02-2011, 02:45 PM

You should not have received your roadworthy without the RW certifier sighting the VASS certificate.
As long as you have the import approval and RWC, VicRoads will not check the car at all other than VIN and engine number verification.
The hard part is the RWC.

I used John Volkov (VASS No.2018)
Volk Engineering
28 Walmer Ave
St Albans
Ph: (03) 9366 2130
Mob: 0404 717 171
Email: john@volkeng.com

He was very understanding, fair but firm and charged only $500 which was $300 cheaper than anyone else I rang.

The engineer will look for Australian dipping headlights (dip left), Aus compliant seatbelts with standards tag and modern brake hoses.
There is some conjecture regarding amber rear indicators, I didn't have to change my red ones.
He may also road-test to confirm drivability, no harsh pulling to one side while in motion or under brakes, Handbrake must also hold.
The engineer may also check engine number matches VIN and if not may check that the engine fitted is same size as factory fitted.
If he discovers an engine modification he can advise Dept of Transport and they can revoke the authority to import if the mod was not declared in the application. You don't want to know what happens if the import authority is revoked...it's all bad.

Last edited by BuickGSX455; 16-02-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Old 16-02-2011, 04:56 PM

Name: luke
Colin is your Beast under full rego?
Pre early 69 seems the way to go
Old 17-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Name: Alex
Just got my 73 camaro registered and had too get vass. I used a engineer called Sanjay from a company called autoteam 0402407839 , $600 for LHD car. He checked engine/vin numbers, headlights amber indicators, wheels body alignment(door hinges and strikers), australian standard front brake lines and aust standard seat belts. I received advice from a car builder 1.Dont make any mods before you get vass it will cost more take longer. 2. Say as little as possible,example.. i make mods to my taillights includind using led 'globes', if i mentioned them too engineer i would have had too remove them and sent them out for a light test, $$$ and time! It is annoying, and im surprised you have to get a vass, i had too remove good braided front brake lines and replace them with rubber australian standards and remove one of my sun visors as the stitching was gone and ripped. Im a fitter by trade and have made a seat belt kit too suit 69-81 camaros trans am firebird and use a seatbelt supplier in sydney for klipan belts, i will be posting it soon in parts for sale. Let me know if you need assistance
Cheers Alex 0412858185 SE Melbourne
Old 17-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
Colin is your Beast under full rego?
Pre early 69 seems the way to go
Yes, my Buick is full reg and again yes, ADR changed a LOT for 1970 making it much harder for 1970 onwards.
BTW, the key dates have nothing to do with true and acurate build dates but refer to the "Model year".
A 1970 Model Camaro built in September 1969 is a 1970 car as far as ADR and VASS is concerned.
A good VASS engineer will check VIN codes and confirm model year so you can't just call it a '69.

Club reg rules are going through some mighty changes currently that may make our lives easier. Onus for roadworthy migrates from Vic Roads to the Club Secretary or representative.
So your (properly registered and anointed) club can essentially declare your vehicle roadworthy without VASS and without VicRoads I think from the end of February.
Clubs will lose their "authority" however if this ability is abused.
On top of that you have the logbook that allows use of your club reg car any day you like up to a maximum number per year. Cheap option.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Name: Steve
Well, Today I finally got the rego on the 69 Camaro! Had it booked into Vicroads on the 4th of July, but got knocked back, as I didnt have the VASS approval! Bugger!

As soon as I got home after being knocked back, I called Rowan Carter (0419 313 113) for VASS approval. Absolutely top bloke! I gave him the rundown on the car (Stock 1969 Camaro), and he told me the main thing I need to do is change the lap seatbelts to Lap-Sash!

Anyway, cut a long story short, I fab'd up a couple of brackets to bolt to the roof, shot down to Bursons to buy a set of belts, bolted them in, and Rowan came to have a look that arvo! Had a look over the car, a few questions and answers, and done! I had a VASS certificate in the mail the next day!

Booked in to VicRoads, and today, drove the car there, inspected, all paperwork completed and now rego'd!

Have to say, I was little pi$$ed that I needed to get the VASS report for a basically stock '69 Camaro, but suprised how easy it was to get. (as long as you have no mods!).

Anyway, now the best part, drive the wheels off the thing!

Steve...
Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Name: Disco
well done, can't wait to see it on the street.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Name: bill
I got my 68 firebird regoéd last week at vic roads - first time registered in Oz as it just came from IOWA in the states a few months ago.
first roadworthy guy wanted retract seat belts put in, amber blinkers, this and that and more - told him to shove it and went to one of those good old fashioned rwc guys - the ones that don't even really look at the car. gave him the cash for the green piece of paper. went to vicroads on Monday last and guy checked the vin and engine number, made sure they matched the import papers and away I went with my new plates!!. He did however remember just at the end to ask the year the car was built, as he remembered about the vaas for cars after 1st Jan 1969.
so it can be whoever you get and how much they know.
anyway, what's the go with the white against amber blinkers as the firebird has the all red tail lenses with the small clear square for the reverse - legal or not??
or is before 1969 ok for original set-ups??
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Name: Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastermagnet View Post
Well, Today I finally got the rego on the 69 Camaro! Had it booked into Vicroads on the 4th of July, but got knocked back, as I didnt have the VASS approval! Bugger!

As soon as I got home after being knocked back, I called Rowan Carter (0419 313 113) for VASS approval. Absolutely top bloke! I gave him the rundown on the car (Stock 1969 Camaro), and he told me the main thing I need to do is change the lap seatbelts to Lap-Sash!

Anyway, cut a long story short, I fab'd up a couple of brackets to bolt to the roof, shot down to Bursons to buy a set of belts, bolted them in, and Rowan came to have a look that arvo! Had a look over the car, a few questions and answers, and done! I had a VASS certificate in the mail the next day!

Booked in to VicRoads, and today, drove the car there, inspected, all paperwork completed and now rego'd!

Have to say, I was little pi$$ed that I needed to get the VASS report for a basically stock '69 Camaro, but suprised how easy it was to get. (as long as you have no mods!).

Anyway, now the best part, drive the wheels off the thing!

Steve...
Well done Steve, It's a great feeling walking out of Vic roads knowing your ride is finally registered.
Enjoy the drives!!!

Peter
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 PM

It is legal to have a red indcator and a flashing brake lamp when I checked with my engineer, up to 1973 I think.

Also, just lap belts are legal if the vehicle was made pre Jan 1, 1969 as you say.

Toastermagnet, what's the build date of your 69? For example, mine is 11C (3rd week of November 1968) so, just laps are quite legal in my car.
GM, Ford, Chrysler, everyone.. had to, by law, fit sash belts from Jan 1, 1969, which was 1/2 way through 69 model year production for most/all makers. Same with headrests. Until then these items were purely optional.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
It is legal to have a red indcator and a flashing brake lamp when I checked with my engineer, up to 1973 I think.

Also, just lap belts are legal if the vehicle was made pre Jan 1, 1969 as you say.

Toastermagnet, what's the build date of your 69? For example, mine is 11C (3rd week of November 1968) so, just laps are quite legal in my car.
GM, Ford, Chrysler, everyone.. had to, by law, fit sash belts from Jan 1, 1969, which was 1/2 way through 69 model year production for most/all makers. Same with headrests. Until then these items were purely optional.
Steve, Mine was built mid '69 (Havent got the details in front of me though), I tried the to see if I could pass it off as built in '68, but since the import papers say 1969, thats what it is. If I could prove it was a '68 build, I'd have to go back to Dotars and inform them that it was a '68, then try and get them to reissue the import approval. Not worth it, is what I was told! So VASS approval was the easier and better option.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Thanks guys, It is a great feeling walking out into the carpark and bolting on those plates!

As for seeing on the street, definatly! It should be a little different, as you can probably see by the license plates...

Next question is though... What do I do with the MCE built AFR headed 454 and Vortech V-7 YSI, narrowed 9" Trutrack diff, Caltracs and race Powerglide there waiting for a home???

I think I am sick of the stock 327 and T350 already!

Steve...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 PM

What are the last 6 digits of your trim tag or VIN and what's the date code on your trim tag?
69 Camaros were built in both Aug 68 & Aug 69 for example. The sequential trim or VIN number is the only way to (easily) determine which of the two years.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Name: shane
Next question is though... What do I do with the MCE built AFR headed 454 and Vortech V-7 YSI, narrowed 9" Trutrack diff, Caltracs and race Powerglide there waiting for a home???

I think I am sick of the stock 327 and T350 already!

Steve...

Hmmmm, fit them up.................