Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 16-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Name: Deano
Good stuff Darren. Have no doubt you'll see some results for your hard work.. and more satisfying than swiping a credit card

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 23-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Name: Darren
So there were some consequences of the last head porting exercise:

After about a week of suffering, I finally succumbed and went to the doctor and got the offending object dug out of my eye, the eye patch is largely for dramatic effect and so that you don't poke something else in your eye until the local anesthetic wears off.

On with proper safety glasses this week, rather that having my prescription classes propped up on top of my head:

Anyway, enough of photos that would scare small children, time to crack on with the other head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUj71...ature=youtu.be

Pretty much a repeat of the first one, although it went a bit quicker since I had sorted out the cutting tools and approach. Still took all day though, so here are a few composite photos trying to show before and after views.

Intake:

Exhaust:

I'm not sure if back cutting the intake valves at home is a good idea, but had a crack at it anyway:

Exhaust valves just copped a clean up:

Lined up ready for assembly:

Old 25-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Moving right along with some cylinder head reassembly, clamp her down to the bench and install the valve stem seals:

Out with the trusty valve spring compressor, it's definitely been a worthwhile investment:

Bit of live action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQnft9W_3Oc

Done:

Old 25-09-2018, 11:45 AM

Slap the head gasket down:

Drop the head on and crack out the torque wrench, final round 110 ft/lbs shown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVwcXA3oElE

Bolt some rockers on:

Quick trip to the auto shop:

Bash them in:

Old 25-09-2018, 07:00 PM

Good work...except for the eye

Isn't there always just one more trip to the auto store?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 26-09-2018, 12:09 AM

Exactly, had to stop at 3 different stores on the way home tonight to pick up some more essential items:

Old 26-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Added a little bling with the new secondhand electric water pump:

I'm running SCE Accu-Seal intake gaskets this time around rather than the factory valley pan with the hope that the extra thickness will make up for having to get the intake milled:

Torker intake installed, bit of an upgrade from the old performer and hopefully it will seal properly this time around:

Tried to get a few shots down the intake runners to see how things line up, looks ok I think, the intake had already been gasket matched sometime in a past life:

Bit of Plasticine to check oil pickup clearance:

Looks ok:

Previously battered oil pan installed:

Exhaust manifolds, bit of a shame to do all of that porting work and then bolt the factory cast iron manifolds back on, hopefully some headers will be a future upgrade:

World's ugliest alternator installation ha ha, factory bracketry was never going to work with the new water pump and I needed an alternator with a bit more grunt anyway. This is just a mock up so that I can work out belt length and what other bits I'm going to need to make it work:

Dropped the Sniper on just so that I could take a pick of the almost finished product:

We have liftoff:

The primary purpose of it all, a torqueflite ready crankshaft:

And with the 727 hanging off the back:

Used the proceeds from the previously mentioned shopping trip to get the alternator mounting sorted out with a slightly more professional looking arrangement:

Also bolted the last few bits on so it is pretty much ready to drop in the bay now.
Old 30-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Got a reprieve this weekend with the Nostalgia Drags being postponed due to wet weather, although it looks like it's not going to rain now anyway.

The final last minute touch before putting the engine in was to change the core plugs in the heads, something I had been slack and not done. Good call I'd say since they would be impossible to change with the engine in the car.

Then it was time to put the young fella to work, much easier job with an extra set of hands:

Little mod to the thermostat since the electric water pump doesn't have provision for the factory bypass hose:

You now things are getting close when the Makita distributor comes out to prime the oil system:

New plugs:

Just about ready to fire:

All I need now is a new lower radiator hose, some distilled water to make up the coolant and a little bit of wiring for the electric water pump. Fingers crossed, the next post should be a startup video.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM

So onto the last couple of items.

Added some coolant, apparently non-glycol based inhibitor is the preferred option at the drag strip:

Hooked up the electric water pump, new one wire alternator and reworked the relay bank to run everything:

Decided to throw the old Champion RN12YC plugs back in for now, not point burning up a new set of plugs or worse (BPR4ES is probably a bit hot for my needs).

Then finally the obligatory start up video, not quite the first start, but near enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAls...ature=youtu.be

Kinda funny that the electric fans and injectors seem to make more noise than the motor itself, maybe I need a louder exhaust. Just need to top off the fluids, bolt the hood and slicks back on and head to the strip now. Hopefully no rain on Wednesday night.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Name: Damon
Great news, its alive again.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Brilliant stuff Darren! Us USM long-termers sure miss these pic-heavy build threads (that Photobucket changes killed, & took the forum with it). Much appreciated

I'm sure you've already go feelers our for a set of cheap extractors... as you say those manifolds are not the ideal follow up to all of your hard work. Looks like you had fun - Enjoy!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Got my eye on a set of these, but not exactly cheap:

https://americanracingheaders.com/co...l-body-headers

PS: I have my own photo hosting now, so will be immune from any future photobucket style disasters.

Last edited by 69JavelinMan; 03-10-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 AM

I'm sure you're across it, but are these no good? US$200 over the $1600 ones you linked.. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hed-98310
Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 AM

They are completely different classes of header in terms of quality, although the cheap Hedmans, would probably be better than what I have now. I do have a crusty old set of Hedmans tucked away in the shed, might have to dust them off. The rest of the exhaust is probably more of a restriction than the manifolds at the moment.

Last edited by 69JavelinMan; 04-10-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW454 View Post
Brilliant stuff Darren! Us USM long-termers sure miss these pic-heavy build threads (that Photobucket changes killed, & took the forum with it). Much appreciated

I'm sure you've already go feelers our for a set of cheap extractors... as you say those manifolds are not the ideal follow up to all of your hard work. Looks like you had fun - Enjoy!
Good point Deano.This forum was a great source of entertainment & information before the photobucket debacle. I need to find another image hosting setup and get back into it.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars