Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Got an old dinosaur Swage & Jenny. Very handy to form the caulk-bead-recess in the heater cover.

Trace around an original LHD cover..

Roll the bead..

Lip the edges with hammer, chisel and my trusty train-track-anvil.

Attach the side..

Make the top.. (Easy.. -just a few folds. )

Trim the sides (be careful!)
..and attach the top.

Neat huh?

Totally awesome work Steve. Awesome. A true work of art.

Are you posting this in Camaros.net?

Awesome!

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Name: Marty
Very handy work there Steve, you should be mass producing those right hand drive heater box's and flogging them on Ebay

and what's a chevy guy doing wearing a Mopar shirt

Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM

Name: Steve
I hadn't posted on Camaros.net.. Maybe one day..
I have thought about making the heater covers.. Perhaps making one and fibreglass moulding off of it perhaps.. There's a lot of time in making the one I have, so to mass produce them in steel would probably mean I have to sell them for $500 each or some crazy figure..

The Mopar T-shirt.. Don't worry, it's soaking up oil now.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 08-05-2009 at 05:47 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM

The dash conversion is still a work in progress.. All the steel is done, but the instrument carrier is taking a little while longer and I haven't finished iit yet. (I keep pushing it aside because it's so damn tedious to work on. )

First I needed dash brackets, and duplucated both the left & right hand brackets that support the dash. They are different from each other, so I couldn't simply transplant them from my doner bulkhead and weld them in place..
Once again. most of this was pre-camera, so I didn't capture too much of "the making" unfortunately.
This is an original LH dash mount bracket..

..and here is the one I made for the RH side. It looks simple, but it took me about four attempts to get it right..

Actually, what came out of my dash conversion is pretty interesting too, yet nothing short of pathetic.
The brake pedal box.. In the middle is a standard LHD pedal box. To the right, you will see the RHD one that I made.. ..and those two hunks of sh!t on left, they are what some F/wit did in order to mount the brake pedal & steering wheel. There is no wonder why the firewall moved when I stood on the brake and I can only hope that the rumor of the guy who performed this "conversion" was murdered is true..
Oh, please let it be true!

This is the only piece I didn't make.. I had a local company make three pieces of the dash for me (before I had any idea how simple it is) and this is the only piece I used because the others just weren't good enough. (Remember note to self.. ) The vent surround shape/form was crap, so I sectioned the original and welded it in myself..

This wasn't hard either providing you study everything and take loads of notes before disassembly. A lot of subtle shapes will catch you out if you're not careful.

Old verses new dash brace. You can guess which one is now scrap metal.

Unless you know what behind the instrument carrier of a LHD Camaro looks like, this pic won't mean much., But this is exactly how the steering wheel braces are mounted, but now on the right. (Obvioulsy taken before the new dash panel was fitted.)

..and fitting. You need to be really careful, because what is all nice and level, actually appears to be going down hill. I had to put the trim on to make sure that the dash wasn't sloping down toward the center of the car.

Well it's a long way from being finished, but I think it looks good so far..

..and the Vintage Air fits nice (with a few modifications)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Name: Mick
G'day Steve
This amount of work performed is a real credit to you, can't wait to see the finished product.
Cheers Mick.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM

Name: SPARX
Send a message via Skype™ to camaro_1967rs
Steve I still have my mouth open your skills are very impressive those that I dream of having. Keep up the good work.

Your quality is why I have never converted my 67 to RHD because talk is cheap when it comes to most people to do with conversions, its just simpler to leave LHD as the last thing I can afford is someone *&cking up my car.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 PM

Name: Dan
Fantastic work Steve. All the pics will be a great help when I start my conversion.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM

I needed to make a splash shield bracket for the now-driver's side.. This splash shield goes fairly un-noticed, but it's role is to keep water away from the wiring loom's bulkhead connector.

I didn't have one of these brackets, (or ever seen one before) so I called Shane and he had one to loan me so I could copy it..

Funny thing is that I copied it exactly -not knowing it had a bend in it, and wondered why the hell it didn't sit right once fitted, until someone on Camaros.net showed me a pic of theirs. Aha damn it!

So, I straightened it out (and Shane's) and fitted it.

Obviously the clips aren't available in reverse, so I made one of those too.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:40 PM

Doing the brakes was fun.. Not just bending up the lines, but making reverse brackets too.
This is the bracket that mounts on the subframe below the booster, and my attempt to copy it..

Until I realized at this point, that the base still needs to be identical to the original..

Take 2.. Although the base did need a subtle change to "clock it" slightly compared to the original, which you can see.

Zinc plated and in action!

Other brackets that mount on the booster for the metering valve and proportioning valve were made in reverse too.
Mine's on the left with the new zinc dichromate.

Making up the lines was fun. Seriously. These were made while the car was at the panel shop, which is why the booster is mounted on the board to replicate it's position on the firewall..
Sorry, forgot to take more in-between pictures!

And once the car returned from panel shop jail, brake lines were fitted to the body. You have no idea how invaluable a rotisserie is when you're doing stuff like this.

Anyway, I bled the system with a weed pressure sprayer which is a heap easier than two people pumping the pedal. Especially if you have a metering valve.

Yay! The car stops under it's own power.. It just needs to go under it's own power now..

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 27-07-2015 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: re hosting lost images
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Again great work Steve. Where did you get the coil spring brake line protectors?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 AM

Classic sell the stuff. I'm sure NPD, Rick's and many others do too in 3/16" & 1/4".
I had to get the 1/2" stuff for my fuel line made locally. Pics to come..
Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Name: Chris
Steve, fantastic skills, must be pretty proud to know your pride and joy has so many hand built parts in it
Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM

Name: Dave
Steve you are a FREAK!! (I mean that in a good way). Its quite incredible what you can do and the knowledge that you have at the age that you are. Excellent work. Well done
Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks a heap, but something tells me you don't know how old I am..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM

I'm going to ban this guy cos his making us all look so bad.... lol J/K

Steve... I love your work.. I like your "do it right or don't do it at all" approach!

Meh.....
Closed Thread