Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13-09-2018, 02:48 PM

Name: Paul
Rear Suspension Upgrade - 68 Camaro

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to legally upgrade the rear suspension in a 68 Camaro and wanted to know in Victoria, has anyone recently had their car passed by an engineer (VASS cert.) with a DSE Quadralink Rear Suspension set up?

https://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-19...d-041703-group

Cheers Paul

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 14-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Name: Jim
Why are you concerned with a Vass cert, that's for '70+ vehicles

Why would you waste good money on that setup when you can get a good leaf setup that'll get your power to the ground

Or are you more focused on the wank factor
Old 14-09-2018, 07:25 PM

Name: Geoff
I wouldn't buy a bread crumb from DSE.

I bought one of their light weight power steering boxes for my GTO.

The box had a clunk in it right near the centre of travel where you do most of the driving. Contacted DSE whose response was 'It shouldn't do that' & nothing else.
Old 15-09-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
Why are you concerned with a Vass cert, that's for '70+ vehicles

Why would you waste good money on that setup when you can get a good leaf setup that'll get your power to the ground

Or are you more focused on the wank factor
Taken from the VicRoads website:

Do you need a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Club Permit approval certificate?

You'll need to get a Vehicles Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Club Permit approval certificate when the vehicle:

is modified outside what is permitted in the Vehicle Standards or the guidelines as specified below or
wasn't originally produced for the Australian market (no compliance plate and / or previous Australian registration history) and was manufactured after 31 December 1968 (for motorcycles 30 June 1975).
Old 15-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad68 View Post
Taken from the VicRoads website:

Do you need a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Club Permit approval certificate?

You'll need to get a Vehicles Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Club Permit approval certificate when the vehicle:

is modified outside what is permitted in the Vehicle Standards or the guidelines as specified below or
wasn't originally produced for the Australian market (no compliance plate and / or previous Australian registration history) and was manufactured after 31 December 1968 (for motorcycles 30 June 1975).

Apologies, things have obviously changed since I rego'd my turder.

Do you really need a 4 link setup?
Old 17-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
Apologies, things have obviously changed since I rego'd my turder.

Do you really need a 4 link setup?
No dramas

Just looking at options for an alternative rear end set up and was wondering if anyone had been done the path
Old 19-09-2018, 08:19 PM

4 link

I used a ride tech, air bar 4 link in my 68 as I was running shockwaves air bags/shockers worked perfect for my application
Old 20-09-2018, 02:53 AM

Name: Alan
I fitted Ridetech 4 link and decent coilovers for the reason that with decent horsepower under my right foot and the poor leaf springs not holding up and I was not wanting Caltracs because I want mine to handle around corners....Granted its not DSE, but ive toured both manufacturers and either would be more than acceptable, DSE requires more work and the floor cut....While Ridetech is a bolt it.....Ridetech is a triangulated four link so doesnt use a Panhard bar or Watts links.....just on more thing for th exhaust to clear
Unless youve driven one a 4 link with decent shocks in it,...you wouldnt believe the difference....n dont listen to anyones opinion who hasnt .

Im in NSW so cant comment on the Vass/ Club plate , but I do believe that as ist a suspension modification you;; need an Enginner to do it.....any decent Engineer would be happy to pass it...or a DSE 4 link.

1969 Camaro Z28 TUF69Z
1964 F100 SWB 64 EFFY

AAA-Photography.smugmug.com
Old 21-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I fitted Ridetech 4 link and decent coilovers for the reason that with decent horsepower under my right foot and the poor leaf springs not holding up and I was not wanting Caltracs because I want mine to handle around corners....Granted its not DSE, but ive toured both manufacturers and either would be more than acceptable, DSE requires more work and the floor cut....While Ridetech is a bolt it.....Ridetech is a triangulated four link so doesnt use a Panhard bar or Watts links.....just on more thing for th exhaust to clear
Unless youve driven one a 4 link with decent shocks in it,...you wouldnt believe the difference....n dont listen to anyones opinion who hasnt .

Im in NSW so cant comment on the Vass/ Club plate , but I do believe that as ist a suspension modification you;; need an Enginner to do it.....any decent Engineer would be happy to pass it...or a DSE 4 link.
Thanks Alan, appreciate the feedback