Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 AM

Name: Chris
Agree if highly modified and in Vic, you will be in for over $2K. Brake test alone in time will be close to $1000

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alp003 View Post
I purchased a 67 Chev that was imported, converted and sold brand new through a Victorian dealership in 1967. It hadn't been registered since 1980 which pre-dated VicRoads electronic database so there was no record of the car in their system. I didn't have import papers but the car still had the expired 1980 rego sticker on the vent window, however this wasn't good enough for the Department of Transport in SA.
So, with no electronic record or import papers the Department asked that the car be engineered prior to going across their own pit for inspection. Luckily the original 1967 conversion was deemed suitable to both the engineer and the Department and therefore registration was issued.
Long story short. You probably wont need import papers but an engineers report for the vehicle plus the Government inspection across the pits is probably what they'll need. Ask the question first of Motor Reg in your state before buying or spending any money on the car.
Also, keep in mind that it might get expensive if the RHD conversion fails the engineers inspection, I've heard a few horror stories associated with old conversions.
All the best, hope it goes well.
"I didn't have import papers but the car still had the expired 1980 rego sticker on the vent window, however this wasn't good enough for the Department of Transport in SA. "

Of course the sticker wasn't good enough... that wold make it too easy

Glad to hear it was a happy ending though

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 09-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Name: Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW454 View Post
Was successfully registered & driven in QLD for years
You don't need import approval if this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW454 View Post
we've run the VIN with Qld Dept Transport and they have no record of it nor the Engine #. Rego expired before the current database system.
Are you saying that a govt. department decided to throw away all their previous records because of a new database system?

Fkn unbelievable!

I also find it unusual that an owner of a car and a US car at that, doesn't have a scrap of paperwork to show proof of ownership; could be stolen. Everyone would know if you want to sell a car you keep the last rego paper to sign the back of it before you swap hands.

I'd be shopping for something else just to avoid the headache, drama, extra costs and the possibility a previous owner might recognise his stolen car, then you'll be in a world of pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnevista View Post
I know of two different cars with separate owners that had cars without import approval.

All they did was apply for import approval themselves, disclosing that the cars were already here.

They both got import approval for the cars.
They would've got copies of the original import approvals or documents saying their cars had previously been imported with approval rather than new import approvals for their cars.

If the above-mentioned car was imported as a wreck, for spares, racing, etc. you may find it did not ever have approval for registration and it won't be able to be registered.

s

http://www.reverbnation.com/LYCANTHIA

Last edited by StephenSLR; 09-06-2018 at 04:40 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Name: Deano
Hey guys, so thanks for your replies around this.

I was looking at a 1976 Chevy Blazer with RHD conversion & factory 400 SBC.

It was advertised in the low/mid-teens for a while, but got dropped to $10k as it needed more work that the ad first implied & was a mess, piled with parts etc. I went to inspect it and really dug it. Load of potential to finish off to be a cool rig (that I see as appreciating, as Broncos have done).

It was at this time I did the full background check and made the owner aware of the sitch not being on the database. He chased prior-owning family members etc for a rego etc, but to no avail. So i walked away, then a month later it got relisted at a (seemingly crazy cheap) $6.5k, prompting this thread. But got snapped up after a few days.

Funnily enough, two weeks later and it's listed again, but in Qld and fully cleaned up etc, for $8.5k. Either a family member is helping with the sale or somebody got it for a quick (low profit) flip.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-5522152

Anyhoo, I can't really take on another project right now, but was nice checking it out, researching these things and playing with the idea I spent hours climbing all over it, so if any members interested, happy to share deets. Cheers.

Name:  Blazer400.PNG
Views: 132
Size:  608.9 KB
Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM

Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSLR View Post
You don't need import approval if this is the case.

Are you saying that a govt. department decided to throw away all their previous records because of a new database system?

Fkn unbelievable!

I also find it unusual that an owner of a car and a US car at that, doesn't have a scrap of paperwork to show proof of ownership; could be stolen. Everyone would know if you want to sell a car you keep the last rego paper to sign the back of it before you swap hands.

I'd be shopping for something else just to avoid the headache, drama, extra costs and the possibility a previous owner might recognise his stolen car, then you'll be in a world of pain.

They would've got copies of the original import approvals or documents saying their cars had previously been imported with approval rather than new import approvals for their car

If the above-mentioned car was imported as a wreck, for spares, racing, etc. you may find it did not ever have approval for registration and it won't be able to be registered.

s
No, they actually got new approval...
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Name: Darren
That's pretty cool, just build an off road race truck out of it an problem solved.