Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Yeti 69 Build up - Sort of!

Im not really sure if I can call this a build thread as I have didn’t acually built my 69 from the ground up. In saying this it has still taken a fair bit of work to get it to point it is at now – A bee’s dick from going over the pits. I also plan on doing fair bit more in the future so this is a good a place as any to post. – I’ll also add some more pics to keep everyone happy once I get it out of the shed and off stands!

Ok, a little bit of history. From the research I have done and after speaking to the last owner the history of the car goes something like this. It’s a Norwood car that came of the production line in November 68. It was ordered as an SS / RS with a 300hp / 350ci,4 speed munchie c/w factory air, deluxe interior, euro front bumper, disks all round, blah blah.

Name:  Engine USM.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  Interior USM.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  Side USM.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  89.6 KB
Few old pics from the states. Ill add some more when I get home..

The guy I bought it off in the states had owned it for the last 20 years, with his son owning it for the previous 5 years – prior to that the first owner was an elderly retired chap from Arizona who passed away shortly after buying it in 1972, it spend 10 years in storage as his wife couldn’t bare to part with being his pride and joy.

Now the son put the majority of the miles on it, the story goes that he blew the original motor and it ended up in storage again until his dad took it over for a steal (according to him!!), he replaced the original motor and drove it on weekends for the next few years before deciding to to do a rebuild. The rebuild did not really go to plan due to personal issues etc and ended taking some serious time to complete, basically up until the time I bought it last year. As a result of all this storage time it only has 34,000 original miles on the clock.

Unfortunately he didn’t keep the original drive line, which I find kinda weird as he wanted to keep it as original as possible and then fitted and LS6, T56, 9in and Global from end… I love the drive line and suspension, but would have loved to have the original drive line to drop back in if ever required, oh well!

Now the fun stuff starts for me, during the last few years of the build the guy had more personal problems and had to rush the final assembly of the fuel system and electrical system for the LS6 install. He did all this over a 2 week period last year so he could sell it and not end up giving it to his wife – nasty stuff!! This resulted in several issues that I was not happy with ( me being a “little” pedantic !!). More of this later.

I had been looking for a sweet 69 SS / RS for quite some time and I really wanted to go the pro touring look without being to wild as to cause problems with rego in oz. So I contacted a broker in the US to find what I wanted.... Bur he never came up with the goods. However, I was lucky enough to find the car I wanted advertised on its way from the US, so I bought it sight unseen and spent the next few months nervously waiting for its arrival. When it arrived in Brisbane I booked a flight and flew straight over to Brisbane. I was super stoked and it was exactly what I was looking for. However, our friends at the Australian customs in Sydney decided they wanted to inspect the container for narcotics and in doing so damaged both front guards ( I still haven’t had this fixed and every time I work on the car it drives me nuts). As usual they denied all responsibly, this is complete bull as I have all the original pics from how it was packed in LA, and on arrival in Brisbane the tie down methods and supports where completely different!! – They also managed to partially destroy a beautiful 55 Chev in the process, w@nkers!

I trucked it to Perth without a hitch, no damage and no drama.. Happy to have it home I took it for a quick spin around the block and then put it on stands and started to work out what I needed to do to get it regoed. First thing I noticed was that the positive and negative battery cables had been run next to and attached to the fuel lines!! What was he thinking? The wiring harness was a complete mess, cable ties everywhere with no heat shielding and plenty of melted conduit to match. So I removed and reinstalled the wiring harness, re routed the battery cables, install an isolation switch and replaced the battery mounting system in the boot.

Now happy I moved on to the fuel system, again this was a little rough, so I rebuild this, installed a high volume fuel pump, fitted dynamat under the fuel tank to help insulated and cushion the tank against the boot – What a PITA as this was. Happy with this I fitted new seat belts, changed out the head lights, fitted the right hand wing mirror, installed the washer bottle and hoses.

Next time I fired her up it had this hellish squeal coming from what I thought was the alternator, after much stuffing around I isolated the problem to the PS pump and uncovered a crack in the PS pump pulley. I ordered and fitted a new one from the states; I didn’t have a press to fit the pulley so I used a jig and a vice – bad idea. As it turned out without support on the drive shaft whilst applying force to fit the pulley I moved its location by about 3mm which was enough to damage the seals and seal face on the shaft.. Unfortunately I didn’t pick this up until firing her up and having hydraulic oil piss out everywhere – of the asserory drive comes again. As it currently stands Im waiting on a new PS pump from the states. Once I get this puppy its straight over the pits.. Yay!!!

During this time I went a bit nuts buying stuff from the states – my wife is very understanding, but has now told me no more goodies until I fit all the new stuff I have sitting in the shed . Now once I get it regoed I will fit all these goodies.! Boy I can’t wait to get this lot on.

- Rushforth super spokes, polished hoops with black powder coated centres - 18in front and 19in rear
- Baer 350mm, 6 pot Pro streets front and back
- Every bit of Felser billet stuff I could buy, waiting on reverse lights and combo front driving light / indicator / park lights.
-
Future plans include bolt in coil over rear end and War Hawk 427 LSX
Well that’s it for now, more updates when I get home from work at the end of the month and get her on the road. Apologies for the long winded essay, but thought it was about time I added something to the forum!

Cheers

Last edited by 69SS; 29-07-2016 at 05:19 AM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Name: Chris
Lyndsay, love it going to be one tough 69
Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Name: Jamie
Nice one Lyndsay, talk about a good start for a project, even for the other guy
Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 AM

Name: PAUL
Very mate,cant wait to see it out on the road very soon!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 AM

Very nice bud, not a problem that you didn`t build it from the ground, only dumb***es like myself put ourselves through that pain.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Name: Deano
Awesome Lyndsay. I've patiently awaiting a thread on your 69 stunner - Teases me every time I see your avatar

I really dig the direction you are heading too, and like all, can't wait to see the progress of bolting up your shed full of goodies! As for the long-winded bit, definitly no complaints from me!! I'd desperately love to find out some of the history of my machine - even a couple of years worth, but back to new is excellent.

Can I ask what's the wheel/tyres specs of what you have currently? And the front ride height is spot on - What's the deal there? Cheers & enjoy!!
'67 Camaro: RHD - Fresh 454 BBC (Forged 10.4:1, Eddy Alloy Heads, Isky 280 Mega) - Holley 830 Annular - RPM Airgap - MSD - 3" system - 2500 HD T400 - 9" TrueTrac 3.5 - 15" Autodrags... with a bit too much heartache to update HERE.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Thanks guys for the kind words.. Cant wait to get it out on the road either!! Next project will be a ground up resto - probably and early mopar, maybe a 70/71 cuda, but this will be a few years down the track.

Deano, the rims are 17 x 8, 4.75" BS all round.. Not 100% sure on the rubber but I think from memory they are 255/40 rear and 245/35 front. The front has Global west control arms and 2in drop spindles, the rear has Global west multi leafs with a 2in drop. I think i'll drop the rear another 1/2 - 1in when I get the brakes and new wheels fitted.. Well we will see!!

Last edited by 69SS; 06-01-2010 at 04:11 PM..
Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Name: Steve
Good stuff.. Very interesting read.. I bet you're dying to get delivered that damn pump!

I see you have the wiper motor decal.. Did you buy it? I've seen what people on eBay have been selling them for. US$20! Crazy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wiper...Q5fAccessories
(PS; It goes on the side.. )
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Name: Marty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS View Post
Future plans include bolt in coil over rear end, Blown War Hawk 427 LSX have the blower just need to spend 20k on the motor .Cheers
I like the sound of these future plans Lyndsay, no shortage of hp there mate

Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM

I see you have the wiper motor decal.. Did you buy it? I've seen what people on eBay have been selling them for. US$20! Crazy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wiper...fAcces sories (PS; It goes on the side.. )

Steve, It was already installed in the car.. 20bucks is a little exy for a bit of Ali!!

I like the sound of these future plans Lyndsay, no shortage of hp there mate.

Martly, will be heading over to the states next year, plan on getting all the parts block, heads etc and building it myself. Aiming at around 750HP, the bokes at World say this is easily achievable, especially with the 2300 Harop blower . I was going to put it straight on the LS6, but looking at all the beefing up it would need I have decided against it - it can be my spare motor just in case

P.S Just had the PS pump ali pulley and hydraulic hose delivered at home, still waiting on the pump!!

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  76.6 KB

Last edited by 69SS; 06-01-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 PM

My wife just called me and told me my new plates have been approved, third submission and third time lucky - everything I applied for before was rejected due to it being ambiguous or was already taken.. Apparently if the word Juiced or Joosed is mentioned you are implying that you condone driving under the influence???

Anyway new plates are YETI 69 in orange with white letters - hope this doesn't look to pooncy ... Yeti is the nick name I have had since I was in grade 3 and it has kinda stuck. So there it is.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
My wife just called me and told me my new plates have been approved, third submission and third time lucky - everything I applied for before was rejected due to it being ambiguous or was already taken.. Apparently if the word Juiced or Joosed is mentioned you are implying that you condone driving under the influence???

Anyway new plates are YETI 69 in orange with white letters - hope this doesn't look to pooncy ... Yeti is the nick name I have had since I was in grade 3 and it has kinda stuck. So there it is.
Thats funny lyndsay ! isnt there sumone on here that calls themselvs 'yeti' i think ive read that? so your pretty hairy we'de expect!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-69Z View Post
Thats funny lyndsay ! isnt there sumone on here that calls themselvs 'yeti' i think ive read that? so your pretty hairy we'de expect!
Nah Gav just tall and large ha ha... Used to have the old surfie long hair but grew out of that!!! Well thats what the wife said!!

Yeah there is another yeti, but hey im yeti 69 ha ha
Old 12-01-2010, 04:54 AM

Name: Steve
Quote:
Apparently if the word Juiced or Joosed is mentioned you are implying that you condone driving under the influence???
Geez, these people are pathetic.
Perhaps Juiced means the real meaning of the word. Did they think of that I wonder..
With that paranoid way of thinking, I'm suprised that "BLKOUT" wasn't considered a racist term that implies that blacks are to get out.

Juiced.. Did you tell them the car was orange?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
Geez, these people are pathetic.
Perhaps Juiced means the real meaning of the word. Did they think of that I wonder..
With that paranoid way of thinking, I'm suprised that "BLKOUT" wasn't considered a racist term that implies that blacks are to get out.

Juiced.. Did you tell them the car was orange?
I did mate, sent a letter as Mitch suggested, also tried to call but.. Juiced was taken and apparently Juiced Up just couldnt be accepted because have a committee now - nanas!!.. I heard rumors that they are going to pull "unacceptable" plates!! WA is really turning into a screwed up place, but I love it so im stuck!! Plus the surf rocks.. sometimes !!