Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 22-12-2017, 08:45 AM

Name: Marc
ooohhhhh SNIPER, am looking forward to seeing the results and your install. Make sure to take lots of pics please as i am wanting to get one of these for my 502 eventually....

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 22-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post
Early Christmas present:

Niiiice!

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 26-12-2017, 08:24 PM

Name: Darren
Part 1 of the Sniper install.

First step was to get rid of the old stuff:

The Holley was quickly re-purposed and I now have a running Jeep again:

I've decided to install the Sniper on the Performer manifold with a 1" open spacer I had laying around. That hardest part of this was finding the longer studs to install it. After a good half an hour or so searching high and low in the shed for the studs I knew I had somewhere, I thought to look in the Javelin engine bay and sure enough found them there. Quick change out and good to go:

Sniper bolted down, that's the easy bit done:

Throttle cable and kickdown connection, the Sniper is a bit wider than the Holley carb and the factory throttle cable bracket wouldn't line up. Fortunately the kit includes a nice bracket that did the job and accepted the factory AMC throttle cable, a shorter return spring will be required though. Kickdown connection is straight off the Holley carb.

Kit comes with a nice clamp on arrangement for the Oxygen sensor, but obviously nobody is still running tiny 2" pipes and the supplied clamps were way too big for my system, so had to make do with a couple of hose clamps. Drilling a fairly large hole in the top of the exhaust pipe is no easy task laying on you back under the car:

O2 sensor in position with the pipe bolted back up, that's pretty much the closest straight section of pipe I could attach the clamp on fitting to. I'll probably upgrade the exhaust at some point and install a proper weld on fitting:

Coolant temperature sensor was a walk in the park, just drop a few litres of coolant and screw it straight into the intake:

Next up will be the fun part, installing the fuel system, I've pulled most of the brand new stuff I just installed a few weeks ago back off and need to wait for the shops to re-open after the Christmas break to get a few more fittings to make it all work.

Last edited by 69JavelinMan; 26-12-2017 at 08:28 PM..
Old 28-12-2017, 12:19 AM

Fuel system mark II.

I bought one of these kits to make life easier, you could just buy the Sniper master kit. The kit is pretty comprehensive but I still had to go out and spend another $120 on additional fittings to make it work.

Took me quite a bit of contemplation time to come up with this pump mounting arrangement, I think it works pretty well.

The rest of the fuel lines are pretty much finished, I had to add a return line for this system. Now I just need to finish up the wiring now and it should be good to go.
Old 28-12-2017, 10:00 PM

Success, managed to get it up and running today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXNH...ature=youtu.be

I do have a couple of minor issues to sort out.

The install calls for a clean 12 volt switched ignition source for activation, which means it can't share the same power source as the ignition system. I thought I would be smart and install a relay on the ignition circuit so that I didn't need to run another wire out from under the dash, turned out I needed two relays to make it work, one for the ignition and one for the sniper, both activated by the regular ignition feed. After a fair bit of frigging around with the wiring, I finally got it running, only problem now is I can't shut it off with the ignition switch. Looks like I will need to add a diode to the alternator feed from the dash light to prevent it feeding back into the ignition circuit, which wasn't an issue before I added the relay. Took me a good couple of hours to work that out.

The other problem is that I have a fuel small leak on the pump outlet, so I'll need to pull that back out and have a look at it.

No chance to drive it yet.

PS: Still need to remove the mechanical pump and pipes from the engine.
Old 29-12-2017, 09:33 PM

Added one of these suckers, 100V x 1.0A diodes, to the alternator feed and the running-on problem is solved (as per MDS instructions):

Bought a couple of new relays and mounts for the Sniper and ignition circuits (the blue fused relays in the pic), not quite show car looks, but looking a little better.

Also got rid of the mechanical fuel pump, hopefully I won't be needing that anymore:

And finally replaced the nearly new, but completely shagged Falcon Global Pitman Arm with another new one from Mevotech, hopefully this one lasts more than 20 or so trips down the strip:

Still have to sort the fuel leak at the pump though, but the Coronas are calling.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:37 AM

Name: Peter
You have Toyota Coronas in your backyard too??

Interested in how she starts up and tunes Darren, looking to chuck one of these on my pickup in the near future. Ive heard other guys had great success, good luck with yours.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 AM

There is really nothing to tune initially, all you need to do is adjust the idle speed screw and it does the rest itself.

I'd like to do timing control as well, but at the moment I just have a stock distributor with a Pertronix module, which is not supported. I will need to get a distributor with a magnetic pickup. They recommend the Holley Dual Sync, but of course they don't make one for AMC applications.

First cab off the rank though will be some electric thermo fans since the Sniper has provision for fan control. It is getting a bit hot with the factory flex fan and going electric should liberate a few HP too. I just need to get hold of a Ford Mondeo dual fan setup, since that is a perfect fit for my radiator.

In the mean time I've done a bit of work tidying up the wiring and fixed the fuel leak, so I'm going to head down to the Motorplex on Wednesday night for a few 1/4 mile runs to see if it has made any difference.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Name: Justin
Top efforts there Darren, she's really on her way to becoming a sleeper
Old 04-01-2018, 08:59 AM

One of the great features of the Sniper is the data logging capability which records all of the system parameters for you and you can review these on a PC, pity you can't playback on the handheld though for more immediate use. You can hook the system up to a PC rather than the handheld though if you want a bit more capability in this area.

Here is my first run from last night, 15.205 @ 93.76 mph, last I looked a stand alone data logger like this would cost nearly as much as the Sniper:

Pretty much on par for last time out, but what's very obvious from the chart (TPS line) is that I wasn't hitting full throttle. I pretty much figured this out without reviewing that data, but it is nice to see confirmation.

By run 3, I'd got it down to 14.674 @ 95.72 mph with full throttle through 2nd and 3rd gears, not sure what's going on if first, maybe I just need to stand on the pedal a little harder:

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can give some insight into the data, seems like maybe it's going a little lean off the line.

Full set of times and a new PB of 14.415 @ 95.9 mph on the last run:

Run 4, didn't get full throttle in 2nd and ran slower.

Run 5, added some more timing since I've still got some work to do there. Did notice that the coolant temperature was pushing 220 after messing around with the timing, red lit as well as not on the throttle hard enough, so not a good run.

Next two runs were much better, although I did push it a bit too hard on run 6 and had valve bounce at the gear changes. Somehow I managed to knock the SD card out of the handheld unit so wasn't able to log any data on the last 2 runs.

Still lots to learn.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Name: Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69JavelinMan View Post

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can give some insight into the data, seems like maybe it's going a little lean off the line.

Full set of times and a new PB of 14.415 @ 95.9 mph on the last run:

Looks like you need to increase your acceleration enrichment. There's a few settings to play with. You can progressively increase you AE vs TPS and check your data logs each run. I found it effective to reduce the delay (AE vs TPS RoC Blanking) between throttle application and enrichment. This makes the acceleration enrichment more sensitive to throttle movement. This is the equivalent of tightening the clearance on the accelerator pump on the carb.

Playing around with it is fun and is also the best way to learn. There's also tonnes of information in the help section of the software... there's a full users manual in there
Old 04-01-2018, 06:11 PM

Smashing the pedal all the way to the floor might help too :-)

Just having the data like that is pretty amazing, wish I had the logs for the last 2 runs to be able to see what changed. Not sure how long to let it self learn before fiddling with stuff, I'm going to have to spend a lot of time on the Holley forums.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Name: Sean
Acceleration enrichment doesn’t self learn. Only the base fuel table. You’ll need to tweak that stuff to get it perfect.

You’ll probably find it goes into ‘open loop’ for most of your runs as it does this under heavy acceleration enrichment and rapid throttle movement. You can drop ‘open loop’ status into your log to check
Old 04-01-2018, 11:05 PM

Good to know, I did see something about acceleration enrichment when I glossed over the manual. Will have to take the laptop down if I’m going to pull data off the SD card between runs.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Name: Tom
I'm looking at using a 7" windows tablet so I can run the holley gauge cluster and check sensors/logs whenever I like. just stash it under the seat or in the glove box when not needed.
That could could be handy for you at the track?

Still trying to deal with the dilemma of not being able to stare at my car while driving it.
Better to build to a budget than not at all.
Youtube Channel: Shift Happens
Instagram: Shift Happens

Last edited by D4RKSIDE; 05-01-2018 at 10:24 AM..