Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 23-12-2016, 02:45 AM

Name: Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaba View Post
Looking good mate, what is the advantage of using the Extreme and then superlite?

Or is the superlite for other areas?
They aren't layered, the extreme is just a thicker more rigid product for things like the floor, firewall etc and Superlite is used on the inside of panels (like doors or body) as its about half as thick and has a more flexible film so is easier to apply.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 30-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Name: Lyndsay
Looking good Luke, I had many similar issues as you have found, although I only had the original Jute insulation on the floor, was still a PITA to get all the seam sealer out- lots of buffing and scraping..

Last edited by 69SS; 30-12-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS View Post
Looking good Luke, I had many similar issues as you have found, although I only had the original Jute insulation on the floor, was still a PITA to get all the seam sealer out- lots of buffing and scraping..
Thanks mate Yep its just the OCD taking over my brain as it does
Old 11-01-2017, 06:44 PM

Dash

ok...back into it! so with the Dynamat down I decided to pull the remainder of the dash and see if I could fix the alignment issues....this was yet another job i regretted starting almost instantly hahah

The original interior looked really good in the photos and was ok in the flesh and most will think i am mad for changing it but after spending some time digging deeper the gaps appeared pretty quickly. The DSE dash insert and all other dash panels were coated in a high-gloss black powder coat finish with stick-on carbon fibre inserts. The plastic passenger panel (Camaro name plate and JC strap) had the same carbon fibre inserts and the screw mounts had broken off one end causing it to hang off the dash by around 5-10mm...it just looked poorly finished IMO. There was also a bunch of other small things that just lowered the quality of the overall finish e.g no speaker grilles on the console speakers, no rear shelf, headlight switch was left hanging a few inches off the dash instead of being cut down, no interior lighting was working etc..

Heres the original dash:
Name:  i-8GpnFBX-M.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  i-d3S2kTq-M.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  62.1 KB

While the Carbon fibre inserts were real, they were cut pretty roughly
Name:  i-wM3h54L-M.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  70.3 KB

Some love the glossy look, but thats not what I had planned.....personal preference really
Name:  i-qhJhtsH-M.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  58.0 KB

So out it comes! .....the random wiring theme followed behind here, 80% was ok, but the other 20% was "added" to the new harness, the difficult part was that they had used the harness for some items and not for others...
Name:  i-NT6CZ9W-M.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  i-tp4bS6J-M.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  70.1 KB

DSE dash stripped bare
Name:  i-6JV7dCh-L.jpg
Size:  68.1 KB

All the gloss panels removed
Name:  i-FqDFnvc-L.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  83.1 KB
Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Fixing the dash!

Passenger side
Name:  i-rQcVVdP-L.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  50.4 KB

Plastic and carbon fibre...
Name:  i-t3Sm6Ls-M.jpg
Size:  67.3 KB

Also removed the nice Billet Vintage Air control panel,
Name:  i-PBDSfp6-L.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  75.7 KB

Vintage Air control wiring
Name:  i-Cjm9m4S-M.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  87.3 KB

She was pretty full behind the dash! ......actually looks like i must have done this while laying the Dynamat?! good ol memory
Name:  i-vKDjvqm-M.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  94.0 KB

This is where the regret started...
Name:  i-LsMh4wZ-M.jpg
Size:  98.1 KB

I had to stop and remind myself why I removed the dash before getting too side tracked! So before attacking the wiring I took a closer look at the dash...

As you can see in the photo above, it was clear someone had attempted to replace parts of the dash and done a very average job....if you look at the very top of the left side of the dash you can see the new panel was just swinging in the breeze with around an inch gap between the old and new parts and this was the main cause of the misalignment!

After looking at some photos of the original dashes online I managed to get a reasonable idea of what it should look like, and after cracking a few ****ty welds combined with a bit of physical persuasion and some temp rivets I managed to re-shape+re-align the dash, I tested the DSE insert and sure enough it as a perfect fit and no more gaps! ....I had to make a new panel for the centre AC vent as whatever had been done there had removed one of the mounts..

Name:  i-w5HQtLv-M.jpg
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  i-WjcVbV4-M.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 PM

A bit of grinding to smooth things out, a light sand and primer followed by several new coats of black and its as good as new

Name:  i-zbsDwVL-M.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  i-L66VJzG-M.jpg
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  i-58TMgCs-M.jpg
Size:  73.1 KB

So the vision for the dash/interior is to keep the modern pro-touring style but retain some reference to the original design. First off is to blast and re-powdercoat all of the dash panels in a matt/satin black finish (I have chosen one I have used on my work benches)....the finish does have a bit of texture and is very different to anything I have used in interiors in the past so its a bit of a risky move but I can see it in my head so hope it will all come together, this will then be highlighted with a number of anodised-black billet/CNC additions.

One of the key things I want to do is to replace the all of the plastic and carbon fibre panels with custom CNC billet panels, I am designing them and want to try and reference the original dash panel design to give it an "original" but improved look/feel hope that makes sense..

I will also remove all of the dash lighting (not working anyway) and install all new LED lighting in a light blue colour to go with the car (without being too rice racer style), this includes modifying the AC panel to match....

With regards to the wiring, the base harness is actually "ok" to a degree so I am going against my own advice and strip the existing harness right back, rewire using the existing kit and build new harnesses where needed...(my advice to others previously was to never try and work backwards from someone else bird nest as it take a very long time and can be loaded with issues.....wish I had taken my own advice )...

Next update coming soon....

Last edited by zappa; 12-01-2017 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Added the plan
Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 PM

The Birds Nest

Name:  i-zg5LsKQ-M.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  77.5 KB

Theres nothing fun about this......
Name:  i-6GSbD4v-M.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  124.3 KB

All AC piping out, this is the under dash unit taking up a ton of space!
Name:  i-HWpf3Mf-M.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  76.1 KB

First job is to trace/identify any wiring thats not labeled, and break it all out into segments..
Name:  i-9FwmZ2Z-M.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  105.8 KB
Name:  i-W6PS5Fd-M.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  119.5 KB

This birds nest came out of the centre console and was for the power windows, console power and a few other unknowns that ran to the end of the console then back up into the dash somewhere....it included a bunch of fuses ranging from 5A through to 30A some blown, one melted and then there was a master fuse of just 10A... there were some good joins, some taped and some just left bare.....I had planned to re-use this but it was way too far gone!....new harness needed for this area and this one went in the bin!

Name:  i-RBPtJhR-M.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  73.6 KB
Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 PM

The re-build....

After dropping a ton of excess and unknown wiring and segmenting what I was keeping into groups, it was time to start the re-wire.

I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier but I bought this car privately and its worth noting that the old owner was extremely kind and very helpful and allowed me to have a bunch of items I wanted to buy sent to him which he then documented, itemised, packaged and safely loaded into the boot for me! Big thanks to Mike if he ever reads this

So some of the changes/new additions included;
  • New Earth system - earthing is commonly overlooked even though bad earthing is one of the main areas of electrical issues...one way to minimise this is to fit an Earth bar (in my case I used an FHRX billet earth bar) this basically supplements your body earth by creating fresh earth connections to each major part of the car and back to the battery ensuring you get good earth connections with minimum resistance, a lot of people think its overkill but in a EFI car with a lot of wiring its a small price to ensure good connectivity! I have then also extended further by adding earth distribution points in busy areas to minimise the holes in the body....The guys at FHRX were even nice enough to allow a custom CNC logo on the Earth bar this will be installed in the boot near the battery.

Example of it installed:
    Name:  i-WzcpXFf-M.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  76.5 KB
    Mine
    Name:  i-fXb2bbd-M.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  97.5 KB
  • AV System + Knukonceptz Wiring (http://www.knukonceptz.com) - So I know most here aren't interested in AV in these cars but I love my music and had decided to do a complete re-wire and upgrade of the stereo before the car even arrived, it was the right decision as despite having a bunch of high-end gear the the old wiring was average and the system didn't really work when it arrived (2 of 6 speakers worked). But the old system did have heap of high-end gear including a full Kenwood GPS/DVD/Multimedia head unit which I added the optional reverse camera too, the speakers were meant to be old Kenwood's so I bought new Focal 3-way splits for the front and Focal 2-way 6.5in rears however when I pulled the old ones out I discovered they were actually Infinity speakers so now have some very nice spares
    Name:  i-pPjTqDj-S.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  41.7 KBName:  i-zxQHZcJ-S.png
Size:  73.0 KB

* I also ordered a bunch of Knukonceptz wiring, if you have ever used this gear you already know how good their wiring is, if you haven't...give it a go its TOP stuff!
    Name:  i-SKPfXFx-M.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  101.9 KB

Ultraflexible too.....This is 1/0G Power cable!
    Name:  i-vqs8LVj-S.jpg
Size:  30.4 KBName:  i-vRfcMDq-M.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  35.3 KB
  • A bunch of New Security - This car came with an immobiliser...that didn't work, Central locking....that didn't work and a key that was barely unique! The security on this car was that poor that a 3yo could have stolen it with a toothpick! So what I can tell you is that its no longer poor, it got all the usual alarm/immob etc....but what I can't tell you is what other security has been installed.
    I also installed a new New Rhino central locking setup:
    Name:  i-ZnCpk6K-S.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  24.0 KB
  • New Keyless start system - The car came with a brand new Keyless Start system (inc Proximity remote and push button start etc..) still in the box ready to be installed, so I decided to install it while I had everything apart. This one was a bit of a challenge and while it wasn't a simple task I was determined to get it working! I haven't included photos of all this stuff for security reasons....
Old 10-02-2017, 06:15 PM

re-wire part 2

• Distribution blocks - I installed a new "accessories" power block under the dash (simplifies the wiring, centralises fusing and allows for easy expansion) and this is also where I added an earth distribution block, both can be seen in the photos below.

Grouping and culling in progress:
    Name:  i-Zgk7bvZ-M.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  106.9 KB

After a lot of culling and clean up its looking a little bit less crazy under here
    Name:  i-GTN9tNr-M.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  90.0 KB
  • TechFlex Wrap - All new and existing wiring was broken into sections, tagged/labeled and wrapped in TechFlex wrap (This is top stuff and is available from https://www.wirecare.com), the photo below shows the dash wiring at about 80% complete

Name:  i-dGjh4ZM-M.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  84.6 KB
Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Name: Jason
Great work!
As a major metal head and AV buff ... I love what you're doing with your wiring and sound system.

Like you, I too have always been a firm believer in having good quality wiring and earths in a vehicle. It's one of those areas that will often give you big gains (or at the very least, solid reliability) by investing in.

Thanks for sharing the info and the links ... looks like I've got a bit of reading to do.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:33 PM

Dash is back!

Cheers mate! yeh I am totally OCD when it comes to this stuff but thats mainly because I know it will only fail when i am miles from nowhere with no one to help so I try to minimise the possibility of that happening

*** On a seperate note to everyone, I did notice I am doing an awful lot of posting in here without much feedback so I can only assume its either boring as sh!t and people aren't reading it or people are just following along!
Make sure you let me know if I am posing too much of something or too little of something else or if you want to see something else completely as I will just adjust it to what people want to see ***
------------------

So anyway on that note that's the main dash wiring done! Onto the dash where all of my panels came back from the powder coaters and I am really happy with the result! The finish is exactly what I was looking for:

Name:  i-NC3HPBd-M.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  61.3 KB

DSE Dash insert
Name:  i-mfMwWdN-M.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  63.5 KB

Glovebox back together
Name:  i-n2D3zp6-L.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  54.8 KB

Unfortunatly my bloody ashtray warped during the process so I will need to fix that at some point

Just a quick test fit of the Gauges to make sure it all goes together nicely

Name:  i-CGSGbXJ-M.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  66.6 KB
Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 AM

Name: Kev
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
Cheers mate! yeh I am totally OCD when it comes to this stuff but thats mainly because I know it will only fail when i am miles from nowhere with no one to help so I try to minimise the possibility of that happening

*** On a seperate note to everyone, I did notice I am doing an awful lot of posting in here without much feedback so I can only assume its either boring as sh!t and people aren't reading it or people are just following along!

Make sure you let me know if I am posing too much of something or too little of something else or if you want to see something else completely as I will just adjust it to what people want to see ***
------------------

So anyway on that note that's the main dash wiring done! Onto the dash where all of my panels came back from the powder coaters and I am really happy with the result! The finish is exactly what I was looking for:

Attachment 34037

DSE Dash insert
Attachment 34039

Glovebox back together
Attachment 34038

Unfortunatly my bloody ashtray warped during the process so I will need to fix that at some point

Just a quick test fit of the Gauges to make sure it all goes together nicely

Attachment 34040
Loving your work and detail. Keep the pics coming.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 AM

Definitely not boring.
Lots of good detail.
Keep up the good work, and keep posting progress.

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 AM

Name: Justin
Liking your confidence to just jump in and get amongst it - I take it you have a good grasp of electrics
Am watching your AV setup, as I'm keen to revive my own setup in my next build phase - Twin 3" magnaflows used to be enough sweet music for me, but with the LSA going in its time I caught up with 2017
Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Name: Damon
Allways keen for updates