Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum General Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 PM

How much does suspension 'really' matter?

Hey guys,

I was just curious...

There are 2 ways I am considering building a muscle car.

1: Pro-Touring so you get awesome handling
2: Drag Race (just not 100% drag race as its still a street car)

I wondered... having E.T Street Radials on a muscle car, designed with some front lift to get weight transfer etc... vs a complete solid car for pro-touring.

How much 'gain' (same car, same horsepower 600-700) would you see in a quarter mile and initial 0-100kmh with the street (little drag race) setup over a solid setup that does not allow for any weight transfer etc (handling being the goal)?

So just in the suspension change, all else equal... is this something like "you would gain 2 seconds faster in 0-100kmh for the street, and you would be like 3 seconds faster in a quarter mile" or is it gonna be like, pro touring 4.0 seconds 0-100kmh, while a more drag race type setup that sucks for handling will only be like 3.5 seconds 0-100. So you sacrifice 'much' to gain next to nothing...

Hope it makes sense

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 AM

Name: Chris
unless you are building australia's fastest street driven drag car or street driven protouring car it ain't going to make any difference. There will be compromises anyway no matter which way you go.

For example once you hit 11.99 or less you have to be ANDRA spec. Relevant cage etc.

The primary difference between a drag car and a PT car is the rear end more than the front end.

These days you can run triple adjustable shocks to get a stiff or soft suspension anyway.

Drag cars tend to run leaf's or a 4 link on the rear, PT cars watts linked 3 point rear ends tend to be the most common, or even now IRS systems. Yet both are designed for the same thing. Maximum traction.

so I doubt anyone can give you definite answers to your question, way too many variables, and in reality for a "street" flavour of either a PT or Drag car, the suspension ain't going to make a lot of difference. Many other variables will have a bigger impact on the difference between a quick, well handling PT car and a quick drag car.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 AM

Name: Frank
Just to throw you a curve ball George - build this ... a 'Pro Daily'

Enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvVj0mVZvAE

1970 Ford Mustang Sportsroof 302W/Toploader
1970 EL Camino 350/TH350 - The FrankenUte
2006 Jeep SRT8 - Big dumb US fun.
2007 FPV Force6 - Wife's car
Old 10-08-2015, 06:34 PM

Name: Steve
A drag set up verses a pro-touring set up are chalk and cheese.
Most mods you make for the drag strip are the opposite for what you'd do for pro-touring/circuit.
So, if you're considering an ill-handling drag set up for the street, then you won't at all mind the factory set up -which will be the best compromise for driving the car in either drag or circuit.
Save your money. Go the factory set up and tweak it towards what you're doing.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:46 PM

Name: Luke
That 69 is soooo nice. Front end looks killer
Old 10-08-2015, 09:56 PM

Name: Greg
Build what you want, and be happy.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:46 AM

Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank351 View Post
Just to throw you a curve ball George - build this ... a 'Pro Daily'

Enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvVj0mVZvAE
Similar angle to the "7 out of 10" episode which I loved.

Considering the body work and suspension setup, he did well talking this car down. Some serious money would have still gone into it for a "daily"

Still trying to deal with the dilemma of not being able to stare at my car while driving it.
Better to build to a budget than not at all.
Youtube Channel: Shift Happens
Instagram: Shift Happens
Old 11-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Name: Sean
You can compromise in suspension setup that serves both purposes.

Tyres will make more difference than even the biggest suspension changes. Going from 60 profile 15" tyres to 40 profile 17" tyres was like day and night for me
Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM

Name: Greg
If you want a crossover style vehicle, go with a triangulated 4 link rear it will handle up to about 600hp. For the front you will need 90/10 shocks for the front for weight transfer for drags, but you certainly don't want them in for the road or circuit.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:13 PM

Name: Chris
Buy 2 cars. Do 1 in each type...
Old 11-08-2015, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I was just trying to work out which way to 'rather' build the car.

If I build it like a Pro-Street car, handling is out the window.

However, on the street, it will have that fun light-light fun.

If I build it like a pro-touring car, sure it handles awesome... but, unless I go to the circuit, that handling wont ever be used. In which case, I may as well of made it work from light-light better.

Having said that:

If I build a 700 HP 69 Charger Pro-Touring, or a 69 Charger 700 HP pro-street.

Both = same car, both = same horsepower.

If I go Pro-touring vs Pro-street... how much 'extra' or, 'faster' will the pro-street car go in a straight line (light to light)? Or will they be fairly close to each-other?

If they are pretty much similar... then I would rather build it as a pro-touring car. At least it will be a nice stable car and gives me the option to take it to a circuit.

If the difference is huge though, like 2+ seconds, even in the 0-100kmh department....

Well then maybe I could go pro-street and dont worry about handling as a street car you wont use the handling anyway...

This is why im trying to figure out the actual difference between 2 cars, same horsepower, one built for pro-street and one for pro-touring.

How much acceleration difference will there be between the 2 just solely on the setup (considering power is same)?
Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 PM

Name: Stuart
On the street there will be minimal difference. On a prepared surface it will be substantially different.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 PM

Name: Justin
I'm with Steve. If you wanna go Pro Touring be prepared to spend the money. I'm doing it and had 2 kids during the build. Everything just got more expensive. If you start with stock and tweak it you could have both. If money isn't an option, go pro-touring just for the fact it will feel better on the road and in the turns.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 PM

Name: Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joverell View Post
I'm with Steve. If you wanna go Pro Touring be prepared to spend the money. I'm doing it and had 2 kids during the build. Everything just got more expensive. If you start with stock and tweak it you could have both. If money isn't an option, go pro-touring just for the fact it will feel better on the road and in the turns.
Changing the ride height and wheels will improve handling, pro touring setups are overkill for the street, more designed for competition use. I haven't driven a car with coil overs that is comfortable.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:34 PM

Name: Disco
Muscle cars aren't made to go around corners