Go Back   US MUSCLE Ľ US Muscle Forum Ľ Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 18-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Name: Richard
Firebird, to sell or not.

Good day all.
I have a 67 Firebird that is in need of some major body work.
I know these cars are getting rare and I donít want to regret selling, as she is a a little gem and RHD as well. I have dropped about 7k into a killer 455 Pontiac engine. Although not standard issue with the Firebird model, it was how the vehicle came.
On the other hand I would have to spend a lot of $$ to get her to a
state where she could be registered for WA roads. I also have a 67
Camaro thatís 50% complete being restored and could use the money to finish off that project. Any thoughts on the future of these vehicles?

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 18-09-2019, 07:22 PM

Name: Geoff
Really boils down to personal choice. I think the 67 FB looks better than the 67 Camaro, but that is just my opinion. As far as $$$ spent & reliability. The 10 bolt Pontiac diff is stronger than the 10 bolt Chev diff. The diff will hold up ok with a 455, as long as you don't abuse it. So saves the cost of a 12 bolt or Ferd 9".

If you stick with the FB, Ames Performance in the US deals only in Pontiac parts & prices are reasonable.
Old 18-09-2019, 07:52 PM

You can only make decisions based on the info you have now.
I sold a 350 HQ Coupe a while ago and still wish I didn't but at the time it was what I needed to do.
It's a hard decision and you have to try to make the decision based on fact and not emotion. (very difficult)

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 19-09-2019, 04:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. Like myself the wife is in two minds. She loves the Firebird more than the Camaro.
Old 19-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Just checked out the Ames Performance website. Thanks for that Geoff much appreciated. I will be hanging on to the bird.
Old 22-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Name: Deano
So what was your question Richard? "Do I sell the 50% Camaro to fund the Firebird bodywork/RWC, or cut it loose as-is & focus on the Camaro?"?

Pretty hard one to for anyone to offer insight with limited info. It seems like-for-like Camaros are getting more $ that equivalent Firebirds due to popularity. But totally personal preference & sounds like you've made the call Good luck!
Old 28-09-2019, 05:49 PM

Name: Darren
I'd say a lot depends on having the money to finish the Camaro without selling the Firebird and if you have the time and patience to finish two projects. It can be frustrating if you are in the situation of having nothing to drive and a stack of unfinished projects, which is a situation we typically get ourselves into.

I had the situation with my Gremlin where I didn't want to get started on a multi-year resto that might never get finished, so went with the option of making it mechanically sound so that I could run it down the drag strip and enjoy it that way. Bodywork can be done in the off season and one day it might go back on the road or more likely it will get a cage and become an even more dedicated race car. Sort of depends where your aspirations are.
Old 30-09-2019, 05:49 PM

I was toying with the idea of selling the FB to fund the Camaro, but the FB was going to be a car for the missus. She loves chrome and the FB has a beaut chrome front end. I will keep both as I am going hard getting the Camaro ready as I have it booked in for painting next Feb 2020. While its being painted I was going to put FB on my hoist and strip down for complete sandblast as the body is to far gone for spot work. It comes down to $$ as well and where to allocate the funds.