Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Name: Richard
67 Camaro Jesus what have I done

Well its been 6 months and i am still plodding along with this car, there is no light at the end just pure darkness. When will it get better who knows, I just keep stripping parts of her and now I am thinking will we ever recover from this....who knows maybe a few years down the track when my wife doesnt stop annoying me everytime I work on her. Pics coming tomorrow hopefully.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 AM

Name: Peter
Know your pain, look forward to photos
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Talking 67 Camy rebuild

What Ive done so far is getting her ready for a recoat of clear, but there are two areas of concern and these have popped up in the last year, in pic 2020084 theres a crack in the paintwork thats creeping from the top left corner of the windscreen area and theres also a similar one coming from the right bottom side of the back window corner as well. My guess is that the paint might be too thick in these areas. Also im in the the process of crop and renewing rusted areas especially under the cowl grill. When i peeled back the metal it had cancer all through it. I managed to break the windscreen with my special custom made screwdriver and modified wood chisel, yes im a butcher blame my marine engineering background. Didnt matter as it was riddled with chips anyway. I actually got the correct tool kit from ebay US for removing everything of your muscle car from windows to chrome bits after i broke the window. Anyway i have a new one on the way. Firewall looks craaaaap and will need to be smoothed or weld a complete sheet in, should be fun. Waiting on some parts from the US before i start the ardous task of fitting minitubs, rear G link suspension, tubular front control arms coil overs, rack and pinion from AOI, all round wilwoods, fabbed 9 inch....etc ...etc as i tell my wife who shakes her head at me while going through our finances....im doing this for our kids who will love me for it, ha.
I threw the donk together last weekend which is a 540 all dart block and ali oval port heads and dual plane manifold with 950 carb, keeping it low key nothing sticking out of the bonnet, hope to punch out 650+hp and slightly higher figure for torque in ft/lb. Should be interesting. Got a 4L80e trannie and had chris from DTM go through her and freshen it up, currently have Simon from allfast knocking me up a converter. Should be fun trying to squeeze all of this in. I just cant wait to get her on the road and have some safe fun with her and take her down the drags to see what she will do, but its a long way off and Im just taking this one day at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2020068.JPG (194.8 KB, 1015 views)
File Type: jpg P2020067.JPG (188.6 KB, 894 views)
File Type: jpg P2020072.jpg (93.3 KB, 778 views)
File Type: jpg P2020075.jpg (189.1 KB, 745 views)
File Type: jpg P2020077.JPG (204.6 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg P2020080.JPG (198.9 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg P2020081.JPG (196.0 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg P2020084.jpg (107.0 KB, 776 views)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 PM

Name: Mitch
Nice work Richard... Is that your home garage??? Bloody sweet little set up you have there!!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 AM

Name: Jim
Love the paint
Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Name: Marty
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubs View Post
hope to punch out 650+hp and slightly higher figure for torque in ft/lb. Should be interesting. Got a 4L80e trannie and had chris from DTM go through her and freshen it up, currently have Simon from allfast knocking me up a converter. Should be fun trying to squeeze all of this in. I just cant wait to get her on the road and have some safe fun with her and take her down the drags to see what she will do
your fun at the drags will be very brief unless your planning on installing a roll cage as well Richard Look forward to seeing it down the track....

Sounds like you have a very understanding wife, i'm lucky enough to have one of those as well

Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Name: Nate
Quote:
I just keep stripping parts of her and now I am thinking will we ever recover from this....who knows maybe a few years down the track when my wife doesnt stop annoying me everytime I work on her.(
Geez I love when some things can be so easily taken out of context

Must give up women... Well more than 1 anyway.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 PM

Talking

Ha, gold

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFF68 View Post
your fun at the drags will be very brief unless your planning on installing a roll cage as well Richard Look forward to seeing it down the track....

Sounds like you have a very understanding wife, i'm lucky enough to have one of those as well
Yep Marty she's the best, i promised i would build her a new bathroom

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSCAMARO View Post
Nice work Richard... Is that your home garage??? Bloody sweet little set up you have there!!
Yes Mitch, fully insulated throughout, aircon and soundproofed for all of the the f$*ks, s%$ts and c$%ts that will be coming from that place for period of my cars rebuild.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM

First casualty of my build up, three stitches later. Mental note dont leave pointy end of subframe at head height on hoist and watch were the f%$k you are going. At this rate I might end up looking like Frankenstein at the end of my build up, but car should look a million.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3080108.jpg (180.1 KB, 653 views)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM

Name: Mitch
Quote:
First casualty of my build up, three stitches later. Mental note dont leave pointy end of subframe at head height on hoist and watch were the f%$k you are going. At this rate I might end up looking like Frankenstein at the end of my build up, but car should look a million.
Damn.... Looks like it might be an improvment any ways.... LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Name: Jay
Quote:
I might end up looking like Frankenstein at the end of my build
Looks nasty, hey I have a pair of matching nuts and bolts to go with your scar, going cheap.
Name:  p39746_6[1].jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  42.6 KB
Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the lovely replies, I asked for it. Back to work for scarface
Old 30-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Unhappy and the hole gets deeper

Man, I am not having a good time with this car. Just had my mate do a thickness test on the paint and it ranges from 400-1000 microns, way too thick, looks like the previous owner just sprayed over the old paint....it gets better, I have these cracks in the corners of windows and after rubbing the paint away I discovered that they are cracks in the metal and not just the paint as originally thought. Looks like stress cracks of some sort, I am assuming its from the body twisting from the big block. Has anyone ever seen cracks like this before and how the hell would i attack this problem. Im thinking about gas mig some strengthening sheet behind the cracked areas to beef it up those areas(there are three cracked areas, top left windscreen,rear left quarter and back window bottom right). Should I put it on a chassis straightener to keep square while welding?....any ideas please.
Old 30-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Man, I am not having a good time with this car. Just had my mate do a thickness test on the paint and it ranges from 400-1000 microns, way too thick, looks like the previous owner just sprayed over the old paint....it gets better, I have these cracks in the corners of windows and after rubbing the paint away I discovered that they are cracks in the metal and not just the paint as originally thought. Looks like stress cracks of some sort, I am assuming its from the body twisting from the big block. Has anyone ever seen cracks like this before and how the hell would i attack this problem. Im thinking about gas mig some strengthening sheet behind the cracked areas to beef it up those areas(there are three cracked areas, top left windscreen,rear left quarter and back window bottom right). Should I put it on a chassis straightener to keep square while welding?....any ideas please.
**** mate ! do you got good subframe connectors??

p.s wernt you converting an old injection setup ?

Gav
Old 30-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-69Z View Post
**** mate ! do you got good subframe connectors??

p.s wernt you converting an old injection setup ?

Gav
Yes I had subframe connectors.