Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Build Ups
User Name
Password

Old 20-09-2006, 10:43 PM

keep up da good work , its cummin alone good , same model as my godfathers camaro all da best with it and cant wait till it finishes

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 20-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Name: Steve
Send a message via MSN to SirGeo
Originally Sent: Wednesday, 14 June 2006 2:33 PM

Some people have asked for updates.. others haven’t.. but your on the list anyway… you should feel special…

Well it’s been 3 months since the last update.. and to tell you the truth I haven’t done as much as I’d hoped.
A few small glitches have come up along the way requiring me to order pieces from America and wait for them to arrive, I’ll explain as I go along.

Well after completing the floors and “sub-frame” (front chassis) , I thought I’d finally get to start the easy stuff… Prepping a body although takes time *shouldn’t* be a hard task.. well I thought wrong, having only previously worked on ’80 model Australian cars, where “repair” quality is allot better, and the most rust you’ll find is in the window sills, I was slightly taken by what I uncovered……

I thought for starters I’d bare metal the doors, being a 2 door it shouldn’t take as long.. Although finding out that the paint was mostly still the original from 1967 which is a benefit normally, unfortunately it was the cheap GM acrylic.. which unfortunately tends to clog up sanding disks quite quickly.. it doesn’t sand/powder off, but melts and spreads.. Easy fix.. I used some paint stripper and a wire brush on a grinder and some thicker sanding disks (looks like paper with rocks stuck to it…)

The worse I came across was a bad repair of dint, which was filled with bog.. to help the bog stick to the door, a hole was drilled through, you’d think it would have been pulled out, but doesn’t look like it, and the holes were too small for a dint remover, anyway.. easy fix..

As you can see I finally took the door down to bare metal (here’s 1) (door jams were completed after the photo was taken)

I resisted the urge to fill the dint on the metal, I tapped it out as much as I thought I could without warping the skin (it will be smoothed over and covered in the final undercoating stages) I then painted it in etch primer, so it’s now ready for undercoating.

So far so good.. or so I thought. I proceeded to strip the rest of the body of it’s old paint, a longer than expected task due to the paint…. I stripped the roof and to be honest was relieved as I knew it was dinted, but thankfully it wasn’t too major and will not require a replacement. All the lines are still right so I was semi happy.

The guards on the other hand were a surprise…
Old 20-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator

(Continued)

I started taking it down to metal bit by bit and this what I came across..

As you can see the bottom corner has plenty of bog covering it, the most disconcerting part is/was the lower rear part.. Somewhere along it’s life it looks as if someone tried to repair some rust that had built up in that corner (a common problem on early camaro’s), the repair method used was to simply knock in the panel and weld on a new piece of steel. I wouldn’t have complained if it was done right, but it was bad.. real bad…

So I decided to do it properly and replace that section. I ordered a replacement rear quarter panel fresh from America and had to wait a few weeks for that to come in..

In the meantime I thought I’d tackle a piece of rust I found on the B-Pillar where the roof meets the guard, a no brain’er at this stage was to just cut it out and weld a new piece of steel in.. which I done.. easy enough….

That’s just in the tacked in stage, the welds still need to be gone over and filled properly but I knew I’d have more welding to do so I thought I’d leave it for when I have more to do…

The new panel arrived and I started to measure area I needed to cut out… (in this picture you can see where they simply welded a new piece of steel ontop of the old panel.)

*Tech info – the two lines are ruled in to show where I need to cut the panel (bottom line) and the top line indicates where the new piece of guard will sit. The panel is stepped in with a tool surprisingly named a “Stepping Tool” it literally crimps the metal and makes it look like a step which allows the new panel to sit on top of it. It’s better than butt-welding a panel in as it has extra support..
Step-Welding

Butt-Welding would involve simply cutting the metal to best fit and welding the two ends together (as I did for the B-pillar section)

Unfortunately But-Welding isn’t always the best method as you (or I) can never get the measurements spot on to the millimeter, and you end up getting ugly gaps that then need to be filled.

Any way.. I finished measuring everything up I needed to cut out, made sure everything was as precise as pissible and proceeded to remove the offending piece of metal… when I found another problem….

The problem, the lower trunk side panel and the outer wheelhouse panel had a bit of rust… obviously what originally caused the rust in the rear quarter panel (that’s what happens when you do things half assed).. I got a price check and thankfully they are cheap to replace, I’ve ordered some and they are currently on their way.. So I can’t weld in the new panel until they are replaced.. but here’s what the finished product should look like.. we’ve got it nearly spot on so it should be easy.. hopefully….

And here is a pic of the old and new panel for comparison…

I’ve started the other side, but that’s a whole email update on it’s own.. I’ll write something up next week…

Here’s a teaser of what I need to fix… hopefully done this weekend….

Old 20-09-2006, 11:42 PM

Oh my god your just as brave me LOL ........ looking good steve!

BTW That subframe looks good hopefully the sand blaster will do mine sometime this century ?

Meh.....
Old 20-09-2006, 11:47 PM

Great updates and some neat work on the Camaro. Make sure you keep them coming and don't worry if there aren't too many replies, lots of people just like looking and not saying much.

Me... I can't shut up!

www.the-rumbler.com
Old 20-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys

That last update was from about 3 months ago, i've done a bit more since then.. I've got a few more updates i need to post up, but i'll leave them for tomorrow.

Steve.
Old 21-09-2006, 07:05 PM

Looks like things are coming along great Steve, always interested to see your progress on such a bitchin' car
Old 21-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Sent: Wednesday, 21 June 2006 4:00 PM

Well on Saturday I (and my helper Rodney) welded in the Right hand side rear quarter panel we started the previous week.
As the previous email shows I came across some rusted inner panels that I thought I might as well replace as I don’t want the rust to come back up.

The parts came in over the week, and on Saturday we went ahead and replaced them before putting on the outer panel.

Old Rusted panels were removed, all the spot welds had to be drilled.
And I had to cut some of the wheel arch out as rust had started to come through on that also.

Pre-fit test of the “lower trunk floor panel”, fitted in better than I expected..

The lower trunk panel was tacked in just to hold it in place while we cut and fitted the removed wheel arch section.

All welded in and sprayed with an etch to make sure rust wouldn’t bother it again…

As you can see it’s come up perfectly. It isn’t viewable unless you remove/cut the panel, but no point in doing something half arsed.

Once that was completed we could do what we started last week..

Fit the actual panel…
Old 21-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

(continued)

It was step welded as explained in the last email, and mig welded (thanks to Woody’s/Ford Ragtop’s welder) in.

Nearly 30 holes were punched into the new panel to make the welds neater and stronger. It was also welded from behind in some section to reinforce the welds on the outside.

This picture shows the final test fitting.. we had to get it perfect as a stuff up here would show up only once the car is fully prepped.

Lines came up really well, and the back was allot better than expected. I thought I’d end up with a big gap that would require a patch weld or something.

Once we got it all right.. it was fully welded into place… and the semi final product is as below.

All the welds need to be grinded flat which I’ll leave for another day as I’m going to have allot more grinding to do and might as well do it all at once.

So all I have left currently is the rust on the left hand side. All the replacement bits have been cut and shaped (7 pieces), and the plan is to get it all in this weekend..

This is the section that needs to be replaced… Where the holes are you should be able to make out a weld line. It’s where it seems as if the panel has bee replaced previously but was not prepped properly hence the rust came up.

This is a photo from inside where you can see the old panel overlapping the new one. The only weld I can make out is a line of brass along the top, which needs to be cut out.

The replacement panel they put in has a genuine GM stamp on it, and from memory it has a date stamp of 1978.. or ‘87 I can’t remember…

Anyway, as of next week hopefully it will look allot better….

Steve.

P.S. thanks Woddy for letting me borrow the mig again.. The Argon seems to make a big difference compared to the gasless welder…

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ - A Great site I found when I was trying to research and improve my welding skills
Old 21-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Sent: Monday, 3 July 2006 9:49 PM

Over the last two Saturdays I’ve been working meticulously trying to finish off all the body welding so I could return the welder to Donna’s dad..

Here’s what I achieved…

Finished putting in the Right Hand side guard I had started a few weeks earlier… came up a treat, very happy with the end result…
*Again ignore the dates on he photo’s, every time I recharge it the dates reset…

After completing that I also replaced a small bit of rust in the same wheel arch section (below).. I had a spare guard so I thought I might as well use as much of it as I can… Again this came up very good, once painted it will be very hard to pick the new section.

Old 21-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

(Continued)

Since the easy part was done, I thought I’d tackle to hard part… last email I sent a pic showing how bad the metal had been eaten through, it was due to the original repair not being prepped properly. You could make out the grind marks and see bog in it, it obviously wasn’t etched to prevent the moisture that can build up in bog contacting the bare metal, hence the rust.

Anyway here are a few photo’s of how it was repaired. Initially due to the large area and the fact that it curved in so many different way I could not fabricate a single piece of steel to encompass all the curves, so I had sectioned it off into 6 parts (later revised to 8) and I cut and bent sections to fit (thanks to a donated near new Civic bonnet that my brother and I “borrowed” because it most closely matched the material thickness)

In the following 2 photo’s you can see where I cut the first section and welded in the new piece.. this was done the whole way along, 1 at a time as to try and keep the original shape.

As well as bending the metal into shape we (I and my helper Rod) had to heat the metal and stretch to more closely fit the area . This was achieved by using the oxy building up the metal heat until it got red hot then stretching it by lightly hammering and pulling on it. This helped make sure the pieces fit closer together as well.

In the following picture you can see the heat marks on the 2 pieces we stretched together before welding.

The following piece was initially cut out into 1 piece but when we trial fitted it we couldn’t get the angles right so we had to cut it into 3 separate pieces.

And once cut up and welded in it fitted nicely.
Here are the finished product pictures.

In the middle of doing that since I had the welder I thought I might as well fill in the holes that were hacked into the parcel shelf…
Unfortunately I forgot to take before pics.. but here is a “after” one.

So hopefully that concludes any major welding I need to do.. I can now concentrate on the easy stuff… trying to remove that crappy original paint, and taking the body back to bare metal properly. And prepping with some fillers/bog and undercoats.. I can’t wait..

P.S. Again big THANKS! to Woody (Ford Ragtop) for lending me the welder… I owe you a gas refill….
Old 21-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Sent: Wednesday, 12 July 2006 11:32 AM

*ignore dates on photo’s.. etc..

I know most of you are probably sick of getting these.. but I need to do this so I have my own record of what I’ve done and it makes me get of my a$$ and actually do things if I feel I have to send updates out..

Anyway..

After the weeding on Friday night I was up nice and early Saturday morning to do some work on the car.

Since I’ve done 99% of the body repair work, I thought it would be time to put it up on a trolley so I could start moving it around.
My brother and I quickly dropped the diff (10bolt chev if any one cares).. and got it up on a trolley.

About 2 weeks ago, my father and I knocked up this trolley,

It came up surprisingly well, apart from the fact that I didn’t take into account the height of the wheels or the base they needed and hence I have an extra 6.5” (16cm).. nothing to worry about you say? Well it goes from having the roof line just under eye level to it being nearly over my head L .. I might make it adjustable height later on (or buy some milk crates) , but I’ll leave the roof till last..

Anyway the rails slot in under the car along the seals and I’ve rig a sort of “clamp” (bolts with big washers) that bolt along the trolley and the lower seal to stop it from sliding.

Shell is moveable along the trolley so If it’s in the way it’s only a matter of loosening the bolts and I can move it. It’s balanced quite well and does not tilt even with my brothers full weight on either side…

So now I can start the fun part..

I started taking it back to full metal and decided to start on the new section i’d welded in last week to see how it came up

.. and here is the end result (in etch primer)

*I think I need to clean the camera lense…

Not bad yeah?

I still need to high fill and get the shapes 110% but hopefully it doesn’t prove to much of a challenge.

And that’s about all I really done.. I was dead tired and called it an early day, as I had a birthday to go to that night.

Old 21-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold View Post
Looks like things are coming along great Steve, always interested to see your progress on such a bitchin' car

Thanks Neil It's a headache compared to the VL's i built.. but i love the new challenges it gives me.. constantly learning new skills can only be a bonus!
Old 21-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeo View Post
It's a headache compared to the VL's i built.. but i love the new challenges it gives me.. constantly learning new skills can only be a bonus!

I know exactly how you feel....................

Meh.....
Old 21-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Sent: Wednesday, 13 September 2006 2:02 PM

Well since my last update i missed out on a few weeks as i went to perth for a holiday with Donnalee. And this (just past) weekend was the first real chance i got to work on it..

Last update i left just neededing to finish up bare metaling everything which was done quicker and easier than i thought.. I've started using "Strip" discs on the grinder which work soo much better than sanding discs.. It's like a bit of rubery coral.. at first glance you don't think it would do anything to old paint but amazingly enough it takes it all off quite easily, doesn't heat the surface and smudge/melt the paint like the a standard sanding disk and does not grind/scratch the steel/metal underneath .. These speed up the process considerably.. Took a few goes to figure out how to use them properly (use them on the side not flat on the panel) and i used about 1 disk per panel.. and they are pretty cheap too. I bought a few box's, just incase ;-)

Thats what they look like.. i bought them without the backing plates as i wanted to put them on the grinder (quicker).. mine look more like this...

Anyway.... So everyhthing was finished in bare metal, i didn't find any more suprises (thank god!) and i proceded to etch everything to seal it...

I spent most of this saturday finishing up the interior sections, boot and parcel shelf.. it was all taken back where neded and sprayed...

here's what it looks like inside currently..

**Again ignore the dates on the pics.. i'm going to figure it out one day.. I swear....

And my parcel shelf came up nicely as well.. if you remember I had the two big holes in it, they were welded closed.

Also just as I finished these bits up I was contacted by one of my fathers customers wanting to buy it as is.. Offered me some good cash.. more that what I paid for it, even more than what it currently owes me as is.. I refused it off coarse because I love to put my self through hell trying to finish things

Anyway.. that's it for another installment of "How much does Steve have left to do"....