Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 23-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Name: Frank
West Coast Labour Dispute Finally Coming to End

Anyone trying to ship a vehicle out of a port on the US west coast lately knows that whole fleets of vehicles are just sitting there waiting to move. Fortunately the labour dispute that has been holding things up is coming to an end, as the port management and labour union have finally reached an agreement (see here.)

For some really amazing shots showing the short-scale effects of this dispute -- freighters anchored at sea, fields of tractor trailer rigs sitting idle, and more -- see this set of aerial shots by MP Kelly.

It's been a ridiculous couple of monts -- very glad it's coming to a finale.

Frank

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 23-02-2015, 12:29 PM

Name: Craig
Those shots are pretty crazy. Guessing it'll take a while yet before the backlog clears.
Old 25-02-2015, 06:02 AM

Name: Frank
Estimates are as high as 12 weeks in the most congested areas; just ridiculous really.
Old 26-02-2015, 10:51 PM

Name: Luke
Thank god for that! yep....my car has been waiting since 1st Feb :| and is only just about to leave, some others have taken much much longer
Old 28-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Name: Allan
id be spewing....you have a lot of patience .....but what can you do
Old 28-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Name: Paul AKA Stretch
Damm now I do feel megga lucky. My car was obviously on the seas before the strike hit and my parts are coming from the east coast ( I think) .Company ships out of Indianapolis just down the road from the brickyard
Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 AM

Name: Raymond
Send a message via ICQ to *rayman* Send a message via MSN to *rayman*
Look here www.marinetraffic.com and you can see just how many ships are waiting around out at sea
Old 24-03-2015, 02:21 PM

yep I am on that site every single day, last count was 59 ships waiting in queue!!! Ships are leaving on time but not with all of their booked cargo which is the problem because it has created a bunch of bookings that are just continuing to roll down the queue.

Worst part is that I have already had 2 confirmed bookings from Schumacher's that have been rolled due to not being able to get the containers on board in time and the last one (3rd) got bumped because of the new Aus fumigation laws that came into play for the west coast on the 9th March so the container needed to be returned for fumigation and then sent back in queue...NOT HAPPY JAN!

Skyper, I have kicked up a big fuss with them and it has made zero difference so I have just given in to the fact that I have no ability to change or improve the situation, so now I have decided to re-fit my workshop while I wait just to take my mind off it .....I would call it forced patience
Old 24-03-2015, 05:52 PM

My container was delayed a little over 2 months. Aside from the frustration, I've now been invoiced $900 for extra storage for 4 cars, plus a $300 port congestion fee - obviously, none of which was of my doing.

Anybody else get similarly shafted? If not, I'm more than happy to name and shame the pirates I've used.
Old 25-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Thank goodness we don't ship out of any of the ports effected by this or the backlog!

67rsprostreet you can't do much about the charges, most shippers and brokers will pass it on.

Just brace yourself for the mandatory "Stink Bug" fumigation. If the container is not fumigated int he USA (all US ports) in the correct manner, in the correct time frame prior to being loaded on the boat you will get hit on this end. Anywhere from $600 - $1,200 per container on this side. Then they still inspect the vehicles for soil and seeds.

The "fun"hasn't stopped, it is going to go on for many more months...
Old 25-03-2015, 05:10 PM

Well the good news is my cars finally on a boat! https://youtu.be/R7yfISlGLNU?t=40s

I haven't been hit with port congestion fees or storage yet but they may be waiting for me to cool down after my response to the "Stink Bug Fumigation Fee" before trying anything else.

They should be sending the "port congestion fees" directly to the Longshoreman (wharfies) given they are 100% to blame for this mess.....!

USAtoAUS - unfortunately I learnt the hard way as I actually sent my car to LA from NYC....so I really only have one person to blame for that!
Old 25-03-2015, 06:14 PM

It sucks for us too...

Before this $h!+ happened we were packing in Portland, Oregon and trucking to Seattle, WA. We had 3 containers sitting at the port, delivered on the cut off day. The boat doesn't get loaded or not all the cargo gets loaded and we cop an $800 per container storage bill before they are finally loaded. It all rolls down hill - the port charges the steamship line and the steamship line charge us. To date we have not passed any of those costs on to clients as we do not believe that is fair to them so we take it on the chin and still get flack for stuff taking too long to arrive *sigh*

Don't get me started on Stink Bugs. The 3rd notice on the matter Quarantine mandate all containers out of the USA need to be fumigated after X date. We had 3 containers at the port, processed through US Customs and either on the boat or in line to go on the boat. Beyond the point of being able to get them back anyway. The sailing date was within 2 days of the mandate and they are about to land in 3 ports in Aus and I can bet you dollars to donuts they will be fumigated here at exorbitant rates!
Old 26-03-2015, 02:43 AM

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

And for anyone wondering exactly WTF a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is, here is a portrait of the VERY expensive little sh!t that is costing us all a lot of money!

It is a sucking insect native to China, Japan and Taiwan and it enjoys inflicting widespread damage to fruit, vegetable and other plant crops across the world, and in his spare time he enjoys long distance travel in large steel containers........

Here he is chilling on a peach!
Old 26-03-2015, 08:38 AM

Name: Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtoAUS View Post
Don't get me started on Stink Bugs. The 3rd notice on the matter Quarantine mandate all containers out of the USA need to be fumigated after X date. We had 3 containers at the port, processed through US Customs and either on the boat or in line to go on the boat. Beyond the point of being able to get them back anyway. The sailing date was within 2 days of the mandate and they are about to land in 3 ports in Aus and I can bet you dollars to donuts they will be fumigated here at exorbitant rates!
I can see how that sucks for you guys, but as a fruit grower I appreciate that they do it instead of taking the risk.

It would cost a lot more overall if we were trying to control it if it got out in the orchards here.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trop View Post
I can see how that sucks for you guys, but as a fruit grower I appreciate that they do it instead of taking the risk.

It would cost a lot more overall if we were trying to control it if it got out in the orchards here.
No arguments there, we need to protect our environment and our farmers.