Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 29-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Name: Darren
Importing through USATOAUS

Hi guys , I just wanted to say G'day as I have only just joined this forum. I don't currently own an American Muscle car at this point in time as I sold my 69 vette about 5 years ago after owning it for a good 20 years , but guess what ? yes I have itchy feet and I am seriously thinking of purchasing another one. I have been looking at Australian classifieds but nothing has taken my fancy, so just by coincidence I came across USATOAUS ,and amongst their stable of cars I came across a few that took my fancy . Now I have never imported before and I must admit I'm a bit scared to , so I would like to ask those amongst you that have imported through USATOAUS if you would be kind enough to tell me if your experience through these guys was a positive one and if some one might know the answers to a few questions that I asked these guys but as yet I am still waiting on a reply.

Are you a licensed dealer and are you able to supply me with your licence number ?

What about travel insurance , is this something extra that I need or is this included in the price ?

I have heard a few horror stories about containers lost at sea , so have you ever lost a container at sea and what happens in the unlikely event that this may occur?

I live in Melbourne so can you tell me what dock the vehicle will be delivered to ?

And last question , does the customer arrange pick up from destination point or does the importer arrange vehicle to be delivered to customers home ?

You may think these questions to be silly guys but there the ones that I think if answered positively will help me make my decision of importing through USATOAUS a bit easier.

One other thing , to those who have used this company , how accurate is the approx final total and how long did it take for your vehicle to arrive in Australia and how is the final payment , you know the payment that makes you hesitate for a few seconds wondering if you have made the right decision , how is this payment usually made?

Thanks for reading .

Last edited by RATATAK; 14-08-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Name: Terry
Russ - you've just dealt with U2A... over to you...

RATATAK - mate I've just completed an import and have a bunch of tips, which I'll get up on the forum in coming days, but am happy to PM in the interim if you're keen.

(when I say "just completed an import" I'm literally typing this from the drivers seat in a shipping warehouse in Botany )
Old 30-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezza101 View Post
Russ - you've just dealt with U2A... over to you...

RATATAK - mate I've just completed an import and have a bunch of tips, which I'll get up on the forum in coming days, but am happy to PM in the interim if you're keen.

(when I say "just completed an import" I'm literally typing this from the drivers seat in a shipping warehouse in Botany )
Thanks Terry , thanks Russ. Congratulations on your purchase Russ , you must be pretty excited. I'm excited also at the prospect of importing but at the same time showing trepidation as well , the reason being is that I fired a few questions to the seller a few days ago but as yet I have had no response , I have also sent the same questions that I posted above to U2A ( a girl named Indira actually) and have no response from them as well , so you can appreciate why I'm showing trepidation. What I'm probably seeking more than anything is confirmation that this mob are the real deal , and after reading your comment I think that they just might be that.I wait in anticipation for you thread on your experience with these guys Russ.Thanks again
Old 30-08-2010, 10:45 AM

If your scared of importing that's good. hehehe just keep it that way.. you can't ever be too cautious lot's can go wrong! But don't be scared off either... if it was my self doing it again and the car was of significant value I'd be taking the trip over to the US mate.. honestly.. then combine that with a good reputable importer and you will have peace of mind!

We're slowly compiling an import guide too so Terry if you want to add in your valuable input I'll keep the 1st post updated! thanks!

Meh.....
Old 30-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT-30T View Post
If your scared of importing that's good. hehehe just keep it that way.. you can't ever be too cautious lot's can go wrong! But don't be scared off either... if it was my self doing it again and the car was of significant value I'd be taking the trip over to the US mate.. honestly.. then combine that with a good reputable importer and you will have peace of mind!

We're slowly compiling an import guide too so Terry if you want to add in your valuable input I'll keep the 1st post updated! thanks!
Thanks mate ,I appreciate the advice , don't think its that feasible for me at this point in time (travelling to the states) but that certainly is the right way to go about it. I am willing to put my faith in any reputable company as long as they stick to their sales spin and supply plenty of photos and a written appraisal , and I'm happy to say that just before I posted this reply that U2A did respond to my customers questions from the seller which does give me more piece of mind.

Also I just came across another importer that sounds very professional , that being Shermatt International , so I might look further into these guys as well. Thanks for the reply.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Ok , these are not my words , I simply copied and pasted them here from an importers website , I appreciate the advice and comments from everyone so far but maybe this comment will help others who may be like me and asking the same questions.

And I certainly don't think anyone on this forum is a Gong Beater.

(Below comment are not my words)

Example 1

For further consideration of whether to use an exporter to get your car or to do it yourself is simple.
Log onto any classic car forum anywhere in the world and make one POST, asking this exact question...

...Has anyone ever imported a car for the first time without using a good exporter… and if you do the whole thing yourself...would you ever do it again?

95% will say never again and tell you why and the other 5% will say yes (as they never had a life to begin with). Make no mistake, it is time consuming, daunting and tedious. You will find a lot of misinformation out there, causing you unneeded stress and worry…remember, you only have one chance at doing the procedure correctly or it could cost you BIG...even losing the car. Knowing the rules, regulations and legalities is KEY…

…AND…not to mention having to sift through all the Gong Beaters posts/comments, who have never imported a car or perhaps once (with assistance), and all of a sudden, they are total experts on the topic…NOT! They are full of misinformation. It then becomes hard to understand the people that do know what they’re talking about and actually reply to your post with solid information. Now you’re left with conflicting posts/comments that only frustrate you.
Old 30-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Hey Darren. I used Shermatt. Overall experience - positive. Noticed you're not taking private messages? Change that or send me an email address and I'll send a bit of info in advance of it going up to the wider forum.

Frankly, didn't find importing that tough...
Old 30-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezza101 View Post
Hey Darren. I used Shermatt. Overall experience - positive. Noticed you're not taking private messages? Change that or send me an email address and I'll send a bit of info in advance of it going up to the wider forum.

Frankly, didn't find importing that tough...

Thanks Terry , I think I've ticked all the right boxes to accept pm' should work now.Yeh I thought that Shermatt looked pretty professional , between them and U2A I think I might have a positive outcome if I do indeed decide to import.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Name: Russ
Trying to send you a PM mate, but still says you arn't accepting.

Have a few thoughts you might like to hear, but want to keep them out of public view, for now.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

I will say this, as mentioned above, having someone do it for you the first time is highly recommended. There's so many small things that can easily get overlooked by a first-timer. Especially if it's your dream car (as is in most first timers case) - emotion can easily get the better of you and it's far better to have someone with a level head that is removed from such distractions.

Having said that - after my current experience, the only way I would ever buy from overseas again is if I went there personally and handled everything myself. Trying to deal with people over the internet is crap. If you can be there in person - searching for the car, doing the deal, picking up the car, delivering the car, and dealing with people & businesses face to face - then you might find it a little less troublesome than sitting in front of a screen on the other side of the world dealing with who knows, always 4 steps behind, working around international time-zones and such, with seeds of doubt constantly in the back of your mind.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 19-09-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Trying to send you a PM mate, but still says you arn't accepting.

Have a few thoughts you might like to hear, but want to keep them out of public view, for now.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

I will say this, as mentioned above, having someone do it for you the first time is highly recommended. There's so many small things that can easily get overlooked by a first-timer. Especially if it's your dream car (as is in most first timers case) - emotion can easily get the better of you and it's far better to have someone with a level head that is removed from such distractions.

Having said that - after my current experience, the only way I would ever buy from overseas again is if I went there personally and handled everything myself. Trying to deal with people over the internet is crap. If you can be there in person - searching for the car, doing the deal, picking up the car, delivering the car, and dealing with people & businesses face to face - then you might find it a little less troublesome than sitting in front of a screen on the other side of the world dealing with who knows, always 4 steps behind, working around international time-zones and such, with seeds of doubt constantly in the back of your mind.
Hi there Russ

I can understand EXACTLY what you’re talking about mate. I was in this position 15 years ago (when I lived in Oz) and it is kinda shi7y not being able to get answers or seeing progress when you’re on the other side of the planet...that is why we set up Shermatt International

We don’t have a hundred thousand clients at once...too hard!!

Taking on to many clients at once, just slows down the personal time you can actually spend with that 1 client. We like to get to know our clients... who they are, what they do, all that stuff. Its very personal for us. When were in Oz, we like to catch up with our clients because they are now our friends

Don’t get me wrong, we have 3 clients out of 1000's that have a story but we can’t please everyone. That is why we sorta interview our potential clients now to see if there budget is realistic or if there realistic people to start with...our biggest word's we use is "realistic" and "patience"!! If you’re a patient person, we can deliver exactly what you have in your head as a muscle car. Your specs, your budget.

Our time with our clients is one on one. We don’t do photo's, we do video. Real time video inspections with commentary explaining what you’re looking at in the video that has been uploaded to youtube for all to see. Nothing to hide and no hidden surprises at the other end. (if we used video 2 years ago, we wouldn’t have those 3 upset clients). We video the payment and the signing of the title and bill of sale so you’re paying what were paying on the day (we don’t load the prices up at this end like most other companies do)....and they do!!

We have no emotion involved when looking at a car like a client would when inspecting it for them self. Yeah we could negotiate a price and buy the car so we could get our fee BUT, I don’t have that emotion. If the car is a turd in a Champaign glass, I shi7 can the car and move on to the next car that is EXACTLY what the client wants...that’s our job. It’s our reputation on the line and if I wouldn’t buy it for myself, my client isn’t having 2nd best either. This is where patience prevails

I suppose were a little bit backwards when it comes to business. We're more interested in getting you what you want than making our broker's fee and having a good mate at the other end of the deal is our biggest satisfaction

You only need to ask our clients that have dealt with us and the few that we have inspected several cars before we found "the one", that we are there for them and we get the job done. Our email time sucks sometimes but that’s because we get a 1000 emails (feels that way) over night and I can’t answer them all but at ANY given time...you can pick up the phone and call us....and we WILL answer (that’s if were awake)

I enjoy haggling sellers down and saving our client's money and getting them the car they envision when they get it at the other end and we photo copy all the receipts involved to buy the car, charge the EXACT costs involved and email all of it to the client

We take care of everything at this end and all the paper work to get it to Oz. You just have to clear it at customs.

I love my job. I’m good at it and I enjoy hookin a fellow Ozzie up back home

That’s MY satisfaction

A client should be a friend not a $$ sign

That’s my 2 cents

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Russ,

Also, I didnt realize the topic of this post, i just searched shermatt in the search bar and replied to your post

Matt

Shermatt International Florida
Quality Exporters of Classic Cars
Shipped Right, Done Right....WORLDWIDE
USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE
https://www.facebook.com/shermatt.america/photos_albums

www.shermatt.com
Old 19-09-2011, 08:59 AM

For those of you who are reading this for the first time I'd just like to say that I did decide to use SHERMATT 's services and I'm so glad I did. I was pretty nervous with the whole import thing , I'd never been down that road before and it was Terry ( tezza101 ) who was good enough to tell me of his experience with Matt and Sheri that I decided to give Matt a call . I found the car that I was interested in and Matt and Sheri then organised everything from there , making contact with the seller , organising the inspection and purchase , SHERMATT provide an in depth report that is then posted on You Tube and you then decide if you want to proceed with the sale , for me I went ahead and purchased . Matt is very skillful in negotiating a lower price and in my case I saved thousands . Once the sale is done Matt and Sheri then help you all the way in importing the vehicle , this is done by you ,the buyer. Matt and Sheri will put you onto their preferred shipping companies , in my case that was Schumacher in the states and Freightnet here in Aus, and they are all there all the way to help and guide you through the whole process ,and trust me ,I have a phobia with dealing with people ,so If I can do it any one can.

In whole ,the experience was a very positive one and would not hesitate in using their services again . I know this sounds like a paid commentary , but no way , I was just very happy and satisfied with the whole SHERMATT experience and as I mentioned in your build thread Matt I will return to your own site soon and leave an endorsement in your testimonial page .

Cheers

Last edited by RATATAK; 14-08-2015 at 12:22 PM..
Old 19-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Was exactly my experience too. Highly recommended...

Old 20-09-2011, 02:22 AM

Terry, Darren...how are you lads doin?

Thanks for the nice words

We will heading over to Oz in Decmeber (Sydney/Melbourne) not sure yet as we havent booked flights but would love to catch up

Matt & Sheri

Shermatt International Florida
Quality Exporters of Classic Cars
Shipped Right, Done Right....WORLDWIDE
USA 0011-1-727 364 8707
www.shermatt.com

MORE CARS AVAILABLE HERE
https://www.facebook.com/shermatt.america/photos_albums

www.shermatt.com
Old 20-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Yep will be keen if you make it to Sydney.

(woah, we're way off topic)

Old 23-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Name: Luke
Hi Mate,

I used USAtoAUS to bring in a Chevelle earlier this year. Seeing as i owned it in the states, I flew over there and drove it around for a bit (5000kms) before shipping home. I was happy with their service, and the budget was excactly what they estimated on their website (actually a little less cause the aussie dude in USA bargained the price down a little for me). Anyway, i was happy enough with thier service to write them a recommendation letter, so i thought i'd throw it up:

...It had been a life-long dream to drive a muscle car along route 66. In May 2011 my fiancé and I achieved that goal in our own muscle car! Thanks to Lawrence, Phil, Indy and all the team at USAtoAUS who made our trip possible!

It all started with an online enquiry to USAtoAUS. The very next day USAtoAUS were on the phone talking cars and we came up with criteria for our USA ride. They sourced a bunch of cars and once I had a shortlist Lawrence went and inspected my preferred car in the USA. I was even provided with a written report that proved to be very accurate. Lawrence is an Aussie living in the USA which was awesome, and he even helped us negotiate a better price from the seller!

After taking care of purchase and transport, USAtoAUS then stored the car safely for me until we arrived in the USA (a month later). We met Lawrence in person when he picked us up from the airport (thanks Lawrence!), and we enjoyed a few beers before we headed off on our roadtrip.

Leaving from Portland we travelled down the west coast, and saw and stayed in a bunch of cool places like Crescent City, San Fransisco, Santa Cruze and Santa Barbra. We then jumped on route 66 and drove out to Las Vegas. After partying a few days in Vegas we headed north, crossed Death Valley, and headed up to Lake Tahoe before driving back to Washington. That 15 day period gave us enough adventures to last a lifetime (or until we do it again!). In the end we covered over 3500 miles in our Chevelle without any major breakdowns or dramas which is a testament to USAtoAUS’s accurate sourcing and reporting.

It was our dream trip, and could have easily been a nightmare if we didn’t have the knowledge and expertise of USAtoAUS for support.

A short time later and we are now back in Australia and the car is sitting in my garage on time and on budget. We now look forward to our big Chevelle serving as our wedding car at the end of the year!..

Thanks USAtoAUS...
Old 30-09-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ta22 View Post
Hi Mate,

I used USAtoAUS to bring in a Chevelle earlier this year. Seeing as i owned it in the states, I flew over there and drove it around for a bit (5000kms) before shipping home. I was happy with their service, and the budget was excactly what they estimated on their website (actually a little less cause the aussie dude in USA bargained the price down a little for me). Anyway, i was happy enough with thier service to write them a recommendation letter, so i thought i'd throw it up:

...It had been a life-long dream to drive a muscle car along route 66. In May 2011 my fiancé and I achieved that goal in our own muscle car! Thanks to Lawrence, Phil, Indy and all the team at USAtoAUS who made our trip possible!

It all started with an online enquiry to USAtoAUS. The very next day USAtoAUS were on the phone talking cars and we came up with criteria for our USA ride. They sourced a bunch of cars and once I had a shortlist Lawrence went and inspected my preferred car in the USA. I was even provided with a written report that proved to be very accurate. Lawrence is an Aussie living in the USA which was awesome, and he even helped us negotiate a better price from the seller!

After taking care of purchase and transport, USAtoAUS then stored the car safely for me until we arrived in the USA (a month later). We met Lawrence in person when he picked us up from the airport (thanks Lawrence!), and we enjoyed a few beers before we headed off on our roadtrip.

Leaving from Portland we travelled down the west coast, and saw and stayed in a bunch of cool places like Crescent City, San Fransisco, Santa Cruze and Santa Barbra. We then jumped on route 66 and drove out to Las Vegas. After partying a few days in Vegas we headed north, crossed Death Valley, and headed up to Lake Tahoe before driving back to Washington. That 15 day period gave us enough adventures to last a lifetime (or until we do it again!). In the end we covered over 3500 miles in our Chevelle without any major breakdowns or dramas which is a testament to USAtoAUS’s accurate sourcing and reporting.

It was our dream trip, and could have easily been a nightmare if we didn’t have the knowledge and expertise of USAtoAUS for support.

A short time later and we are now back in Australia and the car is sitting in my garage on time and on budget. We now look forward to our big Chevelle serving as our wedding car at the end of the year!..

Thanks USAtoAUS...

G'day Luke. Thanks for the kind words, it was a pleasure working with you.

Might want to keep an eye on your local news agent in the coming week...