Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 PM

Name: Phil
Parts orer over $1000 AU

So I decided to pull the trigger on a Holley Sniper unit. Not many suppliers here are selling them and they want over $2000 bucks for one. So I decided to import my own from Pace Performance in Ohio. WOW, super fast shipping to Perth, was here in a week but then... Bummm Bowwww... package stopped in customs. It's been there for a week before I get a letter from AU post saying I need to fill out the N10 form for declaration of goods. I go online and fill it out with what looks like the correct tariff clasification and stat code. Hopefully I will still come out in front after paying GST.... and GST on the shipping vaule.... and GST on the GST with the total. WTF?? See what happens I spose.

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 PM

Name: Chris
Cracking down big time. Anything over $1000 expect to get slugged
Old 03-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Plus supplier code charges too..nice little earner couplied in with the bill now for those paying tax..
Old 04-04-2017, 06:44 AM

Name: Steve
GST is a Goods and SERVICES tax so shipping, being a service, is taxable along with the goods.
Always expect customs to add a few extra charges for (their) fun.
This is where anything over the AU $1000 threshold value is best coming in via a shipping container with an up front agreement with the shipper.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; 04-04-2017 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 AM

Name: Adam
Its a shocker, really hit me hard when I shipped heaps of parts when I was building mine. They normally send you the bill to pay before it even gets into the country to help with a smooth delivery.
Ive had 150kg of gear come from Speedtech and Ive picked it up within 5 days!
Baer 6P
Old 04-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Name: Justin
Whenever I have to spend over $1000AUD on parts I try to avoid USPS where possible, as they like to get caught up in Customs - you really gotta watch the freight tracking and intercept early to minimise delays
( I recently watched tracking update say held in customs - rung up, filled out N10, emailed/paid online/sorted - and then got paperwork 4 days later in the mail to advise I had a package in customs haha
Mobs like DHL / Fedex usually contact you as the package is arriving at customs, and is always quicker
Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM

Name: Raymond
Send a message via ICQ to *rayman* Send a message via MSN to *rayman*
Things have gone a bit quiet on this topic lately, everything after june 30 will be eligible for the duty regardless of the $1000 threshold.

Here's the bad news straight from the horses mouth:
https://www.ato.gov.au/general/new-l...mported-goods/
Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM

Name: Geoff
I got hit with about $500 worth of extra fees from a major shipping company for a set of ported heads that arrived from USA.. An A4 page list of fees & charges. Terminal fee; border 'security' fee; insurance; even wanted to charge me a fuel 'surcharge' to deliver the heads from their warehouse in Sydney to my home, about a 30 min drive for the courier!!! Etc.
I phoned the financial controller & asked how they could charge these fees with a straight face. I asked him to explain how Aust Post goods coming through the same airport [ Mascot ] had NO terminal fee, but his company did???
Then the laughable border security fee. I asked if the pilot looked out the window, said 'Yep, that's NSW' & added another $35 to the fees. Even got charged for 'postage & petties', even though everything was done by phone & email!!!
I had to pay the $500 to get my heads.
Then I took the bastards to court to get my $500 back, via Dept of Fair Trading.
I thought to myself that this company would not want this information floating around in a public court, not least because some of the charges would be bordering on fraudulent....
I reckoned I would get a phone call....
And I did. Sure enough, the day before the court hearing I get a ph call from the corporate lawyer. [ So they waited till the last minute hoping I would give up....]
Lawyer said they would pay me the $500 if I cancelled the hearing. I said I would cancel the hearing when I got the cheque. Cheque arrived about 3 days later....
Old 04-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *rayman* View Post
Things have gone a bit quiet on this topic lately, everything after june 30 will be eligible for the duty regardless of the $1000 threshold.

Here's the bad news straight from the horses mouth:
https://www.ato.gov.au/general/new-l...mported-goods/
So what I read into a part of that is if you have a post box that forwards your packages to AU, from a US mail box, then they are starting to look at those as well now and close the loophole there.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 PM

Yes you will be taxed from dollar 1 from a point of supply.. the exporting supplier of the carriage of goods ultimately will need to remit a gst base tax to the ATO via Customs per the percentage of your goods and services value. No more free imports for private joe.
The country is borderline bankrupt but this ruling for its 2017 start up has been around for about 3-4 years at a least....maybe in the Rudd PM days.. but being bad news.. it's still being kept quiet.

Last edited by OldIndian; 04-04-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Old 05-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Wow, so does that mean the threshold of $1000 is gone now on certain goods?? I just got my bill from customs for the Sniper unit... bugger... $304. Oh well. I can't exactly tell them to send it back... I'm might just of broken even compared to a supplier here. Dammm, should of gone the Megasquirt route.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 PM

Name: Chris
Not certain goods on all goods. No more $1000 threshold period
Old 05-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Name: Paul
So from this part how do you define it? "A vendor registration model will be used and suppliers with an Australian turnover of $75,000 or more in a twelve month period will be required to register and charge GST.".

Does that mean we would be better to buy from smaller shops in the US that sell less than the $75000 to us all in Australia over a year? Does that then also mean if they don't reach the $75000 then there's no GST on these purchases or what?
1966 Pontiac LeMans convertible, Martinique Bronze and black top, black interior, 15x7 & 15x8 Rallye 2's, M/T Sportsman ST's 235/255, 464 Poncho, 6X8 heads, RAIV cam, Quadrajet, 2600 stall, TH200R4, 3.55 Eaton Posi.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:14 PM

I. .. THINK.. that most all vendors in the USA will ship via various electronic portals that will require a tax figure or suggest one.... much like Summit does already when estimating the freight with UPS, ILoad or FEDEX etc.. Private sellers will be screened at the State Postal sorting centers.. and return to the old days of Customs clerks sending you either a bill or please attend notice. Ebay global shipping / ishipit etc will tax you as will other shipping companies either in advance with the Packaging List & AUSFTA viables sorted by the supplier/ nation manufacturer.. & then tax will be calculated. Remember our country is now bankrupt.. can't even keep up the electrical power.....

Last edited by OldIndian; 06-04-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Old 20-06-2017, 09:24 PM

Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Not certain goods on all goods. No more $1000 threshold period

I stand to be corrected but I heard a whisper the $1000 threshold will still stand for another year! So the story goes!