Go Back   US MUSCLE US Muscle Forum Importing to Australia
User Name
Password

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 AM

Name: Chris
How long have you waited for your car to be imported

Hi all,

I am a new member but have been browsing this website for a couple of years.

My question is to the members who have imported vehicles from America, how long has it taken basically from purchasing the vehicle and submitting import application to the vehicle landing in Australia and being cleared for pickup?

My Story.....

I have been interested in importing a vehicle from America for years! I have worked and continue to work bloody hard and finally early this year was in a position to do start looking for a car.

After browsing this forum I noticed a business which I wont name yet based in America had many members raving about how good they are and easy to deal with and the level of service they provided seemed above and beyond.

I decided to use this business, my decision was based on trust even if it was going to cost a little more then other businesses I would rather peace of mind spending 25-35g on a car and importing costs might not be a lot of money for some but it is a lot for me.

It took 4 months to find a suitable vehicle, I wont dive into this too much.

In late may the 68 charger came up, I was reluctant at first but it ticked all the boxes and the business negotiated a good price so we did the deal.

Vehicle was picked up from Georgia 16th June 2014, and arrived at the shipping company on 19th June 2014.

It is still sitting at the shipping warehouse apparently waiting for a container or a ship to go to Adelaide for 5 months

All paperwork is in order and everything paid for, I'm starting to worry what is going on.

I never get any updates from the shipping company or the business I used to take care of the whole process. The only time I hear anything is when I call or email which is pretty poor.

It is the first time I have undertaken this process and although I know it is a lengthy process I thought maybe 3 months max???

What is everyone else's thoughts? thanks

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

Just to confirm,

I have still no idea if the car is in a shipping warehouse or on a ship or anything.

I will update further developments as they come to hand or even start a new thread as a blog of the process.

picture on the link

https://www.facebook.com/10876180921...type=3&theater

Last edited by gecollision; 02-11-2014 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: picture

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Mine took about 3 months and that was considered slow due to customs in the states randomly choosing my container for further checks and a few other things. It doesn't sound good mate, chase it up hard.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Name: Darren
Hi Chris,welcome to the forum.Love the 68 Charger you purchased.All up my import took around 5 months from purchase to pick up.

I don't know who you are going through but I used Shermatt International for my import and I didn't have one problem through the whole process,and if I were ever to go down this path again then I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again.

Five months sitting at a foreign port does sound excessive,however if the company that you are going through did indeed get glowing reccomendations from members on this site then it would have been for a good reason.

Have faith in the company and I'm sure your car will be on the water soon.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Name: Vic
Hi Chris, mine took 3 months also from Sacramento to LA to Taiwan(?) to Melbourne. I did wait about 3 weeks for another car to fill the container.

Could the problem be that you are in Adelaide? Maybe shipping to Melbourne and then trucking to Adelaide might work better?

I love PRIUS drivers, they are saving all that petrol for me to use in my V8's :
Old 02-11-2014, 09:04 AM

We bought our 56 Chevy pickup out of Georgia end of June, it was on the ship mid October (out of LA) and landed end of November.
So 5 months from purchase to landing in Port Adelaide

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 AM

Name: Adam
Mine was about 5 months also, but one of those months was waiting for the shipping company to forward my money to the seller and pick it up, was a bit scary getting emails from the seller saying he hasn't heard from them for a couple weeks after I gave them all my money.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Name: Darren
I'm guessing it is waiting on another car or two to fill the container, that could take a while for stuff going to Adelaide. This is a way to keep costs down, but if you are getting impatient and who wouldn't, maybe ask them if there are some other options to get it here sooner.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM

Name: Jason
I'd get it sent to a different port and then truck it to Adelaide
Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Ok thanks guys, guess I will keep waiting,

Being the first time I have imported a vehicle I start thinking worst case scenario's if this car will ever get here or "go missing". But I will keep sitting tight.

Next time I will defiantly look at shipping to Melbourne and picking it up from there!

I'll keep everyone posted thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Name: Stuart
Once you've got confirmation that the car is on the water your importer should give you all the shopping details, name of boat etc, you can then track the ship online
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecollision View Post
Hi all,

Just to confirm,

I have still no idea if the car is in a shipping warehouse or on a ship or anything.

I will update further developments as they come to hand or even start a new thread as a blog of the process.

picture on the link

https://www.facebook.com/10876180921...type=3&theater
Just to add a little more to my experience, I knew where our pickup was pretty well all the time via Shermatt or Schumacher
I find it a little unusual someone hasn't contacted you regarding the status of your car.
Are you doing this by your self or is someone assisting you?

CAUTION. Will spontaneously talk cars
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 AM

GEcollision,
My car took 5 months to get to Perth. Shumachers kept telling me they were waiting to fill a container as not many come my way. Had no idea if was out in the weather or under cover. Unfortunately when you import you put your trust in alot of other people ,especially if you havent seen the car in person. Best advice is not to wait for them to contact you ,ring them direct and ask what the hold up is? When my car finally arrived ,they offered me a 10% discount on my next import. As if there will be another one. Keep onto them until you get a transport date.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Nev68
I am using the same business as you have done as I wanted "peace of mind" instead of trying to do it all myself.

rock66

thanks I will keep calling to get further details, i had been getting told that they needed another car to fill the container up until about a month ago but nothing since then.

Last Wednesday I left a Facebook message with the import business in which i got a reply that they would check with the shipper and get back to me, no reply as of yet.

Last Friday i tried to call the import business and I left a message on there voicemail in which that has not been responded to.(still waiting for a reply)

28/10- emailed the shipping company to find out any details of shipping date etc.

30/10 - Got an email back just saying "let me check and get back to you"
(still waiting for a reply)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM

If you are using Matt I was very happy with the car he inspected and recommended. Saying that a few more updates would have been good but he is a busy guy and worth the wait in my humble opinion.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Don't get me wrong business overseeing the import process have been very nice to deal with I was just expecting a level of service where I was continually updated.